1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a mono Comanche and I was wanting to adjust the rear sight but even with the screw all the way out and a heat gun I cannot move it . Now my plan is too take it all the way out and if needed sand it so next time it will move if I need to adjust it . So does it go out both ways or only one side ? If it's left to right or right to left is it with the gun facing away from u or towards you ? Please help thanks

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
If it fits in the dovetail.....there is no need to file or sand material away. You need a bigger hammer and a set of delrin or brass punches. It'll move.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
When I replaced the rear on my TRS I hammered it out the r side (the side of the ejection port). It was very tight but once it starts moving it's all down hill.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I always spray them with remoil and let soak for a bit prior to bringing the big hammer. I will also wrap the end of the punch with duct tape or old leather scraps to keep from marking the sight.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The rear on my Springer didn't want to move either. I got to the point where I wasn't comfy with a bigger hammer. So, I used my universal sight pusher I got for <$50 some time ago.

Well, it finally moved! I got real lucky, as my first attempt was spot on! I dragged a sharpie marker across the top of the slide where it met the rear sight with the expectation of needing there for multiple trips, and to tell how far I moved it.

I think this is it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Handgun-Sig...-rear-1911-Glock-Sig-and-others-/161157107811

***As a side note, you need to have either leather strips or cut up pieces of old credit cards or something like that to place between metal surfaces so as not to mark up your finish. Common sense, but figured I'd add that...

·
Registered
667 Posts
Sight pusher for the rear L to R....otherwise it's WECSOG

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok got it off with a lot of heat and a 5 pound hammer . There was a ton of red lock tight under the whole sight . I got off as much as I could and again it was almost as hard putting it back in . I guess no need for a set screw . This baby will not move without a 5 lb hammer and a foot long punch .

·
Registered
516 Posts
Make sure when you get to the front sight that you learn about the blind roll pin. You can use a 10lb sledge and a drift and not move it.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I miss my Mono Commanch. It Has spent the whole summer in Illnois . Probably a fricken Cub fan by now. Glad you got your sight situation under control .

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys . I just wanted to break it loose so I can adjust it as needed and not worrie about using a jack hammer to move it .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts