1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to 1911s and have just recently purchased a wilson combat KZ-45 used at a gun show. Today was the second time I have fired it and have put about 200 rounds through it. I noticed that the trigger pull started becoming erratic going from very heavy to normal at about 3 lbs. I adjusted my grip and checked to see if I was doing something to bind the trigger. I chalked it up to being dirty then at about the third round it did a 2 round burst. I finished the magazine and put about 40 more rounds through it and did not have that happen again but the trigger still felt like it was going from about 12lbs to 3 lbs. I have done a fair amount of shooting with various hand guns and I know when I touch one round off to soon but this was a two round burst. Can anybody give me any suggestions?

·
Registered
705 Posts
The problems you are having leads me to think someone has done some modifications to your pistol, prior to you purchasing the gun. Someone has probably added a trigger, grip safety, hammer, sear , sear spring or all of the above at one time and didn't get it right. This is only a guess, but I would strongly suggest you have a qualified smith disassemble, inspect and tune all internals as soon as possible.

·
Banned
1,347 Posts
I believe the trigger stop screw needs adjustment but thas just a WAG. Turn it counterclockwise a few turns and see if your condition imroves.

And take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DogBreath, thanks for the reply. I have a friend who runs a local indoor range and also does gunsmithing. I will run it by him and see what he says. He will tell me where to go if he does not have the knowledge to fix or diagnose my problem. On a side note, I only have problems with the trigger when a round is chambered. The pistol will dry fire on an empty chamber fine. I even chambered a spent casing and noticed no difference in trigger pull but as soon as I chambered a loaded round the trigger went nuts again. Thanks again for the advise.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Bladeandbarrel, will try your advise and all I could find was 2 midol that my girlfriend left.
Well atleast you wont have cramps or get bloated (whatever that is personally I think it comes from women thinking everything makes them fat...) :biglaugh:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Check to see if the trigger bar is rubbing on any of your magazines. This could account for the change in trigger weight. It shouldn`t cause the 2 round burst though. I think that someone has probably did a little amateur gunsmithing on the trigger parts and that is the problem. They probably reduced the sear spring pressure to lighten the trigger pull or tried to polish the hammer/sear angles. I see this all the time. Not really a hard fix if you know what you are doing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks sant, I looked at the trigger bar and it is possible that it is rubbing the mag a little. The trigger only changes when the mag is full and a round chambered though. I called my local gunsmith and he said that he would take a look at it because it is obvious that I am not a smith. Thanks again to everyone who responded. When I find out more I will post it.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Look at the side of the mag. If you see rub marks from the trigger bow then it is rubbing. It will definitely cause the erratic trigger pull or fail to reset if bad enough. A loaded mag will show this off more readily. I don't think that it would cause the multi-round burst though. That would more likely be a sear spring or hammer/sear issue. You could adjust the trigger bow yourself, but having the right tools makes it a lot easier. And with the symptoms you are describing I would just send it in to Wilson for warranty work and let them examine it carefully. I believe Wilson's warranty follows the gun even if bought and sold...

H

·
Banned
1,347 Posts
The trigger only changes when the mag is full and a round chambered though
Hmmmm..is your slide closing 100%..?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bladeandbarrel, I checked the slide to make sure it was fully closed and it was. The magazine shows symetrical wear marks so I guess that doesn't point to the trigger bar rubbing. There are however two small cut outs on the magazine on each side that I think are for the mag release. I can't tell if a round once in the magazine could possibly be touching the trigger bar through this hole. I think that the holes are below the trigger bar. These are my ameture glances at the weapon but I think my friend who is a smith will hopefully be able to shed some light on the problem. He may very well tell me to send it to WCB. I hope I can get it taken care of soon because this is one of if not the most accurate pistols I have ever shot. It has really got me doing some research on some of the different 1911's out there! I work in law enforcement and they alow us to carry personal weapons. I have a glock 35 that I currently carry. I love the pistol and think that what it was desinged for it does well. I have owned or fired a number of pistols and while I have some I like over others this WCB and a friend's Kimber have given me the 1911 bug.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
When you say symmetrical wear marks, are these horizontal and about an inch down from the top of the mag? If so, then the trigger bow IS rubbing on the mag. Some inexperienced people think that pressing the bow in will take pressure off the frame and ease the trigger pull. If that was done, the bow will be rubbing on the mag and causing inconsistent trigger pull especially with a loaded mag. It has to be JUST right so that it glides in the frame channel and doesn't rub on the mag. There is a die that can be used to straighten and shape a trigger bow that is deformed. I did it by hand without that too, trial and error and eventually after several hours of fiddling with it, got it right. Good luck with that!

This combined with an untuned sear spring can be the cause of the 2 round burst. If the trigger gets stuck enough, it will not reset and you have to pull it forward by hand. If it doesn't reset, it will feel like a very hard trigger pull that doesn't fire. If you let off for a second and try again, the trigger may reset and then you are back to a normal trigger pull.

I am not sure if this is what is actually happening, but from your description it sounds like a possibility.

H

1 - 12 of 12 Posts