1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm new here. Spend most of my time over at TFL. Anyway I'd like to get a nice carry holster for my Kimber. About the only criteria I have is that it be lined (to reduce wear) and have a thumb-break strap. Oh and I dont' want a shoulder rig. I'm currently using a cheap Uncle Mike's Sidekick holster. It's not bad but I'm already noticing wear on the front of the slide.

Thanks very much for the help.

Warm Bore

------------------

·
Registered
975 Posts
All holsters will wear the finish on your pistol. Lined holsters are no kinder to the finish then unlined. In a dusty enviroment they can cause more wear.
There are hundreds of good holster makers so look for comfort and concealment first.
BTW thumb breaks are probably not the way to go either.

Mike

------------------
Mike Benedict
Custom Kydex Holsters

Talon Tactical Holsters

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Like Mike said, there's a bunch of great designs, and manufacturers out there... For the most part, you will get what you pay for... If you pay $20-30 dollars for a piece of Nylon, Plastic, or Leather, you're apt to get a $20-30 holster that you'll probably not be happy with.

While you can find nice Kydex rigs for ~$40-60, I would probably be inclined to consider leather, although I have been evaluating some Kydex holsters, and so far, they've been very nice. A good leather rig will cost you anywhere form $60-120.

Most of the leather, and kydex rigs are fit so well, there is no need to have a thumb break. In fact, many aren't even offered with the option, and some that are made with thumb breaks, have been known to disengage the thumb safety. Not my idea of a good time.

The reality is that unless there is a duty requirement (department policy) mandating the thumb break, it's probably not needed. I can stand on my head with most of my rigs that don't have thumb breaks , and the gun will not fall out... As for the possility of a ND/AD without a thumb break, it's unlikely, as long as you don't try to holster with your thumb IN the trigger guard.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
BTW, you probably need ot decide what works best for you, but IWB styles tend to offer the best in terms of concealment, and can be very comfortable.

What you decide will depend on your personal tastes, and the "mission" that you detemine.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Mike is correct, lining really doesn't do anything to prevent holster wear . It does allow a holster maker to raise the price.
More holster wear comes from an ill fitting holster than a properly fitted one. If the gun is fitted into the holster properly it will not move around inside the holster and abrade against the wall of the holster. This goes for any holster material.

------------------
Style, Fit & Function you get it all with an M/D Holster
www.customholsters.com
[email protected]

Remember,, Cow aint just aint for food!!
100% satisfaction or I buy it back!

"Holsters" the only real cure for mad cow disease!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. You've made some good points. I'll just have to get some in my hands and on my hip and go from there.

Mark THG,

It appears that your signature already has mad cow disease in the repitition of the vernacular word "ain't".

·
Registered
103 Posts
i would recommend an IWB holster for maximum concealment.Milt Sparks makes excellent rigs.you might want to look into his Executive holster.it's one of the most confortable IWB's.i also agree that you don't need a thumbreak on your holster.especially on an IWB.the pressure of your belt and body keep it in place.

------------------
If you can't take it easy...take it sleazy.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I've looked at the "Wilson Practical" and I like it. Someone here had recommended it. Could be my answer for a carry/competition rig.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
If you really want a thumbreak holster, I have one lying around that I don't use anymore. $20 and it's yours...

1911 not included

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey GMB,

Can you tell me a little about that holster... make/model etc.? Is there a story behind it? I may just take you up on that offer.

Regards,

Warm Bore

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Hey Warm Bore --

The holster is in pretty good shape. It's made by Gun Leather Limited in Fort Worth TX, and is model 12E, for a Govt. 45. I've probably had it for 6 or 8 years, and used it as a general purpose range and hunting holster. Nothing wrong with it, but I guess I have too many holsters!!

Feel free to email me if you have any additional questions. [email protected]

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GMB,

I have one more quetion for you before I decide on your holster. Up to this point I'm really only familiar with hip holsters. I'm not a cop just a gun nut. Anyway, your holster appears to have a fairly steep cant to it. Is this to be so that the but of the gun sits in the small of the back? Is this what you call the "FBI cant"?

Thanks again,

Warm Bore

1 - 12 of 12 Posts