1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who makes a decent quality 1911 platform in 40 S&W? Looking for an accurate 7 yd BE, range, bowling pin pistol. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
STI makes a decent one. Here's an example (there are more options than this): http://www.stiguns.com/the-sti-duty-one/

That said, .40 in a 1911 might be more work than other calibers if you don't load your own. From what I've seen, the 1911 needs .40 to be loaded a little longer than factory ammo tends to be loaded.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Not sure what your budget is, but as mentioned above STI offers quite a few of their models in .40 S&W. They specialize in 1911/2011 platforms and build some fine pistols down in Texas. I'm sure there are a number of options from various manufacturers, but a great place to start looking is with the STI Trojan. Very popular model and highly regarded. I own two (.45 & 9mm) that are excellent. Very accurate and at about $1200 you won't find a better 1911 in that price range. I shoot the 9mm in IDPA competition and have been very happy. The only .40 I own is the STI Tactical. It's a double stack 2011 so is higher up the price ladder, but is an outstanding pistol. I do not reload and have had no problems at all with factory ammo running reliably. (I shoot primarily Atlanta Arms and Freedom Munitions ammunition.)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To the STI owners out there - Could I expect the same level of fit and accuracy on a lower priced model as another STI model that costs 2 - 3x as much? Accuracy is my number one concern for this pistol. I would like to keep the cost under the 1200 number as I don't have deep pockets.
TIA.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
The STI Trojan (lowest priced STI that is made in 40sw) is an AMAZING firearm. I don't personally own one, but I have two STI 2011s (40sw and a 38 super) and my friends have Trojans and their opinions (including myself) it is the best bang for the buck of all the 1911s @ $1000. The STI models that are 2-3x more are your 2011 pistol which are double stack 1911s. I would also say that the Trojans I have seen are put together better than some of the $1500-2000 range pistols out there. Plus STI is a great company, sponsors shooting sports and has a no questions asked lifetime warranty that goes with the firearm, not the original owner. If I get another pistol in 40cal and its not something slightly more custom, I'm going to get a Trojan.

There really is no other option out there for your $1200 range, unless you purchase a used Kimber Custom in 40 cal or a Springfield Loaded. I have a springer in 40.... I only paid $400 for it and basically replaced everything... runs great now and is my primary USPSA single stack gun, but I think its was complete POS... the newer Springfields are much better quality, but none are produced in 40sw.

·
Registered
833 Posts
The STI Trojan (lowest priced STI that is made in 40sw) is an AMAZING firearm. I don't personally own one, but I have two STI 2011s (40sw and a 38 super) and my friends have Trojans and their opinions (including myself) it is the best bang for the buck of all the 1911s @ $1000. The STI models that are 2-3x more are your 2011 pistol which are double stack 1911s. I would also say that the Trojans I have seen are put together better than some of the $1500-2000 range pistols out there. Plus STI is a great company, sponsors shooting sports and has a no questions asked lifetime warranty that goes with the firearm, not the original owner. If I get another pistol in 40cal and its not something slightly more custom, I'm going to get a Trojan.

There really is no other option out there for your $1200 range, unless you purchase a used Kimber Custom in 40 cal or a Springfield Loaded. I have a springer in 40.... I only paid $400 for it and basically replaced everything... runs great now and is my primary USPSA single stack gun, but I think its was complete POS... the newer Springfields are much better quality, but none are produced in 40sw.
^This. STI Tojan is a winner and can be had for slightly under $1200.

I own 3 STI 1911s.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts