1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my LnL AP about 15 months ago. I transferred my 45 ACP and 38 Super Lee Dies and Pro Auto Disk and have loaded several thousand rounds since.
I recently made some changes to a 9mm Commander and have started to shoot it more, so I am down to about 300 rounds of 9mm. Started setting up the LnL for 9 and found that because of the short case the powder measure drop hole will not line up correctly.
I decided to get a new Hornady die set and set up the measure that came with my press. I had not opened it until yesterday. First, I found that it contained the regular rotor and meter assembly, not the pistol model.
Will the regular one work with 4.3 to 4.7 grains of HP38?
I presume that by using their powder through expander I will be able to dispense with the expander die, and thus free up a space for my Lock-out die and a taper crimp die? Does the powder through expander take the place of the powder drop sleeve or is used in addition?
I guess that I will also need a powder drain?
They also sell a bushing adapter but I don't see an explanation as to the purpose. Nor do I see an explanation as to the difference between their taper crimp three die set (546516) and their regular three die set (546515).
I would appreciate any help anyone can give me before I order anything.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Started setting up the LnL for 9 and found that because of the short case the powder measure drop hole will not line up correctly.

Explain, I don't understand. If I remember right you should have inserts to accommodate different case lengths plus you move the powder measure up and down in the die itself to adjust for activation

No, the rifle rotor and insert does not have the ability to accurately dispense drops that small

I presume that by using their powder through expander I will be able to dispense with the expander die, and thus free up a space for my Lock-out die and a taper crimp die?
Yes, it will free up 1 space previously taken up by the expander

Does the powder through expander take the place of the powder drop sleeve or is used in addition?
It goes inside the powder drop, you should have gotten all the conversion parts with the press. You only need the PTX and to set it up

Nope, I just pop the whole measure off with an 1/8 turn, dump, and cycle a few times to empty

They also sell a bushing adapter but I don't see an explanation as to the purpose.

It's for adapting to a press without the LNL bushing system

Nor do I see an explanation as to the difference between their taper crimp three die set (546516) and their regular three die set (546515).

The regular 3 die set (546515) does a roll crimp for the seat and crimp, while the other taper crimp three die set (546516) does, you guessed it a taper crimp
Hope that helps

·
Registered
335 Posts
LnL AP's come with the powder measure fitted with the rifle rotor and the pistol rotor is packaged separately in a little box. The little box comes inside the box that the press is shipped in. You should have gotten it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
The powder measure should have come with two powder rotors, one for rifle and one for pistol. The pistol rotor has a smaller chamber and would be the best choice for any loads under 10 grains.

I would check to see if you have both, if not contact Hornady. They should send you the one your missing.

When I purchased my Ln Lap the Hornady PTX was not the best and I purchased a universal PTX through powderfunnels.com. From what I understand now there PTX is much better. Again I would check with Hornady as to what size you need.

I don’t use a powder drain, I just remove the powder measure and dump the powder back in the only powder container I have on the bench.

Not sure on the bushing adapter, I have 6 powder meter inserts for my loads. You can change them out and keep them set at a grain charge.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I appreciate the replies. It is kind of soaking in now.

"Started setting up the LnL for 9 and found that because of the short case the powder measure drop hole will not line up correctly."
I didn't state that too well. I was talking about the Lee PAD that would not adjust to fit the 9mm.
Actually, after writing it out and reading the replies I can see that I don't need a new set of dies after all. Just the .355 powder through expander for the measure and use it instead of the PAD.

It goes inside the powder drop, you should have gotten all the conversion parts with the press. You only need the PTX and to set it up
It came with three different length powder sleeves. Does the expander replace the correct one of these, or is it used in addition?

Looking at the powderfunnels gadget it looks like it only flairs and does not expand. Does this work OK?

I e-mailed Hornady about the pistol rotor and insert. Just got an e-mail back with a number to call.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
The PTX replaces the sleeve in the powder drop. You also want the powder stop that Hornady now ships with the press. If yours did not come with one, ask them about it. It makes adjusting the PTX easy. Also ask them for several shims to use with the powder die to keep it tight in the press.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I bought my LnL AP about 15 months ago. I transferred my 45 ACP and 38 Super Lee Dies and Pro Auto Disk and have loaded several thousand rounds since.
I recently made some changes to a 9mm Commander and have started to shoot it more, so I am down to about 300 rounds of 9mm. Started setting up the LnL for 9 and found that because of the short case the powder measure drop hole will not line up correctly.
I decided to get a new Hornady die set and set up the measure that came with my press. I had not opened it until yesterday. First, I found that it contained the regular rotor and meter assembly, not the pistol model.
I presume that by using their powder through expander I will be able to dispense with the expander die, and thus free up a space for my Lock-out die and a taper crimp die? Does the powder through expander take the place of the powder drop sleeve or is used in addition?
They also sell a bushing adapter but I don't see an explanation as to the purpose. Nor do I see an explanation as to the difference between their taper crimp three die set (546516) and their regular three die set (546515).
I would appreciate any help anyone can give me before I order anything.
Call the Tech Reps at Hornady 800-338-3220.

They can save you a lot of time, and you may need less additional equipment to make the conversion than actually you thought you did.

I just went from the 45ACP to the 9mm on my L-N-L AP press.

After I made the call, it was simple.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Called Hornady and got it figured out what I needed.
Ordered a pistol rotor and meter and a couple of expanders from Midsouth.
Next day I found the one that came with my press.
Sent Midsouth an email requesting cancellation of the rotor and meter.
Just a few minutes later got a shipped notice from Midsouth.
Received an email saying it had already shipped but to call when it arrived and I could send it back.
It did not show up yesterday as FedEx had predicted. But it is too chilly to reload in the garage anyway.

Now, my next question. How do you start out trying to set the meter, with say 4.3gn of HP38?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Now, my next question. How do you start out trying to set the meter, with say 4.3gn of HP38?
Drop a charge and see where it lands adjust from there. Once you get close drop 10 and weigh them all for the average.

Having an metering stem isnt so bad. I keep multiple and have them labeled for different charge weights and powders so its a quick change for something preset. But I still verify the first 10 weighing and dumping powder as a sanity check just incase.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Make sure that you use the baffle in the reservoir tube.

Run a bunch of powdered graphite through the measure before you start with powder the first time. Don't worry - your powder already includes graphite. It's just to lubricate the mechanism safely.

Understand that the powder will settle a bit as the measure gets jiggled with use. Jiggling it ahead of time by tapping with a tool of some sort for a minute or two helps settle the powder.

Once I think I have the charge dialed in, I throw 10 together and measure that. Lets you dial in the average. Also helps make sure the powder has settled.

Check charge weight again after first 10 or 20. You can't be too careful IMHO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts