1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i just posted a long bunch of info and when i posted it said my ip had been banned, (you gotta love aol!)

anyway, this time will be a little shorter.

colt 1911, (no cuts by the trigger)]

commerical model i think, ser# C3160XX

flat under the slide by disconnecet has a big G with a smaller G close to it. it also has a 4 marked on it.
there is an H by where the notch for the disconnect is. there is alos an H above where the firing pin plate is. the right slide rail has an 8 on it. the barrel does not say colt anywhere, but instead has HS by the link. the barrel is also parked greenish, the rest of the gun is blued.

the latest patent date is aug 19 1913, the pony is in betweeen the patents and the address. it has an arched mainspring housing that is checkered, so i know its not original. the finish is in pretty rough shape but the gun seems to be solid. the hammer is the wide checkered one, and the slide lock and thumb saftey are both checkered. the finish seems to match throughout the gun with the exception of the barrel being parked green.

i know you guys hate it when someone asking for info doesn't include much, so i tried to give plenty. i would like as much info as possible

thanks friends,

russel the cop

------------------
CHANCE FAVORS THE PREPARED MIND....

·
Administrator
73,786 Posts
The barrel is a WW2-era unit that has been refinished (they came blued). The MS housing was replaced as you surmised. The letters get me, though. G means government contract, and H is an Ordnance inspection stamp, if I am not mistaken. Commercial guns are usually marked with an S for civilian sales (instead of the G). Is the gun marked Model of 1911 US Army at all? If so then you have a military slide on a commercial frame.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 09-03-2001).]

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
most of the military ones also said "property of US"
I'm pretty sure the C prefix means it's a commercial model though. http://www.m1911.org/
has a list of erial #'s by date, yours isn't there. There also used to be a list of inspector stamps, but didn't see it there.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the gun does not say prop of us, or model of 1911 anywhere on it. the doesn't have the "s" makings either, just the G's the H's and the 4 and 8 that i mentioned

i will check the site,

also, something that is wierd, where the serial number is stamped, if you look at the gun flat there is almost a half moon indention at the end. i don't want to throw you guys off, i don't believe the seriel number has been redone or is fake, because it looks very original, it just appears as though the metal was pushed in a little, possibly by the stamp. ( i hope me saying that doesn't imply that its been faked, because it just doesn't look like the number has been reworked, maybe the rollmarker hit a little hard)

** ok, according to 1911.org, the civilian model pistol in that ser# range had the C after the numbers, the gun has it before the numbers, also this gun would have been made in 1968 if the C had followed the numbers, and this gun does not have the A1 relief cuts behind the trigger, and the sights are way too small on the slide.
the ser# for the military pistols show that this gun would have been made in 1918 if it wasn't for that dang C before the numbers.

this gun looks more like a 1918 model than a 1968 model, i don't know everything about the 1911, but this seems too obvious by looking at it.

any ideas? cause this is the second gun in a row that has thrown me for a loop!?!?!?!?!?

russel the cop

[This message has been edited by RUSSEL213 (edited 09-03-2001).]

·
Administrator
73,786 Posts
You seem to be turning up some pretty strange hardware. The only way we can tell beyond that is for you to post some pics of the markings.

It's beginning to sound to me like an ex-military pistol with an altered serial number, though. Somebody after WW1 would have wanted to gind off the US Property stamps and alter the serial number, as possession of a GI gun was illegal prior to the 1950's.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dsk, your right, after the confusion w/ the remington rand pistol, (which i believe to be a missed match frame and slide that had been reparked after talking to you) i figured this colt would be easy. if the gi markings were taken off, who ever did it was good, but it would explain the indention the ser number sits in.

i know you think i'm nuts now, so i'll see about postin pics in the future with anything i say, (you know, to keep my credibility!!!!!)

russel the cop

how all the odd ball guns found there way to oklahoma is beyond me, but they're right at home!!!

------------------
CHANCE FAVORS THE PREPARED MIND....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts