1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying a V-16 .45 super. Can anyone give me any firsthand info on it? Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have the 2000 year model. It is the one without the lock. I have had zero problems with it. No fail to feed, or any other problems. You must clean it very good first. Then proper amount of lube. I have fired wihchester whiter box ammo,Gold Dot hollow points, Hydro-shoks, and others and all worked fine. Some says it has sharper edges than the 2001 model, but I don't have anything to compare it to. I also have a Para Ord P-16 limited, and I consider them equal.

The 45 super shoots like regular 45 acp, the regular acp shoots like 9mm. I olve plinking with the regular 45 ACP, and I intend on humting with the 45 super.

Oh, Welcome to the forum! Lot of good knowledge here.

shooter22

[This message has been edited by shooter22 (edited 05-24-2001).]

·
Registered
65 Posts
V-16s rock. I had to de horn mine, because there were too many sharp edges. I also stoned the top of the barrel where Springfield engraves DANGER. This seemed to really smooth out the action.

Now if I can just find a nice crossdraw rig and some nice wood thumbrest grips!

Good Shootin!

------------------
Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Originally posted by TREADMARKS:
V-16s rock. I had to de horn mine, because there were too many sharp edges. I also stoned the top of the barrel where Springfield engraves DANGER. This seemed to really smooth out the action.

Danger?

Where was THAT located?

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
180 Posts
The dange warning refered to the fact that the gun was ported, and warning of muzzle flash and noise.

It is on the barrel visible in the chamber opening.

shooter22

·
Registered
13 Posts
I finally got around to firing mine last weekend (2000 model). Both ACP and .45 Super (-Texas Ammunition 185gr). NO Problems whatsoever.

BTW- the .45 Super is NOT your "Father's ACP".......Yikes!

------------------
Freedom is never free: get on your feet or get on your knees.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Took mine out for the first time today.I like it alot. Feels good, handles great, and shoots dead on with 45 Super and ACP. I think you can say from my previous posts I don't brag about one and less I feel it deserves it. The Springfield V16 deserves it. In fairness, as posted, when I bought it I would prefer a less sharp rear cocking serations. As I said I guess my hands aren't that delicate and it isn't a problem for me. Other than that I'm a happy camper with my new Springfield. To those of you that an edge is a priority, I suggest getting one and a little smoothing and you will be happy. Again, this is my 5th 1911 purchase this year and I am very pleased with it.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Is this the 6" barrel? For owners:

I'd like to hear more about these, especially from anyone that HAS a 4 or 5" version...No sales please, just want some owner reactions...Thanks IA...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Gyp, My recent purchase meantioned above is the 6" long slide V16 Super. I do own 2 other SA's. both 5s. My KZ45 Wilson that I had to sent back was received by the dealer I bought it from today. Long story about UPS stupidity that I have to get it back from them. Anyway, I'm taking the day off picking my Wilson up for a new test run and taking my SA out again too. I'll keep you posted, especicially after I bad mouthed the Wilson due to it's unreliability out of box. The long slide SA worked flawlessly, but as I stated in an earlier post the rear cocking serations are a bit edgy. For me it's no problem and would be and easy fix if it does bother someone else. I feel I'm a fairly honest judge of 1911's. I also own 3 Colts, 2 Kimbers and don't dislike any of them. Some I enjoy for certain reasons more than others. Some I enjoy more for totally different reasons than the previous meantioned. To each his own, and more power to anyone that has strong feelings about a certain manufacturer. I guess I have a bit of a pet peeve built into me when I hear blanket trashing of makers of guns that I know are decent weapons. Are there "dogs" put out on occasion by all of them, no doubt, but my experience, 37 years of shooting is that quality manufacturers produce good guns most of the time. Again, everyone is free to chose and critize whatever they want. I just hope they have some practical experience before they do. I'm looking forward to that Wilson being what others have told me it is. I'll let you know!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Gyp, Are you asking for reports for owners of 4" & 5" ported SA-s? I just got a v12 stainless target model with adjustable sights. It's my first 1911. I've only put 150 rounds through it so far, but I like it. I'm just an average shot, but the gun is more accurate than the shooter. It feeds and ejects flawlessly.... kinda' loud though! It really barks.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Thanks all...Yeah, I don't care for bashing (deserved or not) I will only trash my guns. I know them and if I have a prob with them, then everyone knows it...If it's honest wear and tear...fine...If it's crappy metal or fitting..NOT FINE! Too much money for too little thesee days...and not just p[istols either

I wated to hear from the owners of all three if possible...6" 5" 4" and listen to comments...I'm sure they are all LOUD!!! Just mostly wanting to know if anyone has real problems or if they shoot in the dark, what the flash is like from the shooter and bystander perspective...

TIA

Have a good shoot!

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Got my KZ45 back today. Took it and my SA V16 out to the woods. Had a ball with both. Both shot great and worked without a hitch. Haven't shot the V16 in the dark, but I will post when I do. In fact hang on a minute and I'll pop a couple of rounds off right now.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Gyp-c, just fired two rounds from my SA v16 off my deck. My wood pile is now mortally wounded.
Used 230 ACP hardball(shot up all my super earlier today). Flash wasn't bad at all, more like several V shaped sparks leaving the gun. Super may be worse, I'll try that some day too. By the way it is a dark night up here and I think it was a pretty valid test. Hope that was my wood pile and not my pickup!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
ROTFLMAO

GOOD ONE!
...If it's that easy...How about some tests on the pistol with several different types of ammo?

Cool!

Thanks

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts