1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forums, and new to the 1911. I have been shopping around and have narrowed this decision down to the TRP Operator with the rail, or the new Kimber tactical custom II.

I am a police officer and will most likely be using the pistol as a carry at the range/target pistol. I like the look and feel of the TRP Operator, but the Kimber is growing on me too..:rolleyes:

I would like to hear from everybody about the good and bad points of both weapons. I am leaning towards the Operator, and was wondering if anyone has had any problems with theirs. Thanks in advance, and BTW the forums have been a good source for info so far!!!!:cool:

·
Registered
171 Posts
My two cents are probably only worth about 1.225 cents.

I'm a Kimber fan...and the Kimer Series two guns are gaining favor with police forces becuase of the Series II (schwarz) safety. So...your PD risk management folks would probably prefer that one.

However...I am not a fan of the Scwartz safety (extra pieces that MAY....repeat...MAY increase the liklihood of a malfunction).

The TRP (without the rail) is a less refined version of the Professional which is currently the choice of FBI HRT. I also had the pleasure to inspect, disassemble, and fire a stock TRP over the weekend.
This kills me to say....given the choice between a Series II Kimber and a TRP (operator) without the extra fluff.....I'd recommend the TRP. You won't be disappointed.

Now....if you want to do a little shopping and try to pcik up a Series I Kimber....I cannot more highly recommend one of those. I own a Stainless Pro Carry and a Gold Combat. Either would make a wonderful duty piece, home protection rig, or be the Belle on any firing range.

I envy your positon....aquisition of any of these beuatiful guns will bring you much joy.

Good hunting.

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Just my opinion and you wont get much out of me on Kimber either way......All I know is hear say on the safety issues, you figure those out.

As for the TRP Operator is is indeed a fine pistol and slowly beginning to be somewhat of an Icon.

It has some of the finer pionts of the PRO with a price tag down in the mid range 1911's (well by my thinking Pro and som others being the high end)

The TRP Operator would make a great option for a SPP with M6 Unit in the right gear.

The SA TRP would fill the gap between a number of higher dollar pistols (It would be awesome with a Bull Barel) and more suited to a carry piece.

It is a tough call until you shoot them.......Then you are in trouble as you will want both :D

Karsten

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Ditto what these guys said. If you want something with a rail, I think you will be very happy with the Operator.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Those are two excellent pistols. I have a few Kimbers, all of which have been nothing less than great. I also have a few Springfields, which are excellent as well. The thing with SA, however, is that it seems to me their QC isn't as good coming out of the factory, at least with regards to production guns. The TRP may be different because I think it has a bit more hand fitting.

A good thing about SA is if you call them on something they will fix it and then some. I have a SA Loaded Operator which came to me with a 6 3/4lb trigger and shooting 8 inches low at 25 yards. I called SA, and they paid to ship it back to them, fixed the POA problem, asked me what I wanted the custom shop to set the trigger at (4 1/2 lbs), and asked what else they could do. I asked them to install a short trigger and bill me for it. They installed the trigger for free and sent the pistol back with no charges. I was impressed with the quality of the work they did on the repairs.

In my opinion, you won't go wrong with either choice. Try them both and see if you like one over the other. As a duty pistol, the Operator is great with the tactical light rail.

·
Registered
35 Posts
sa trp operator

hello everyone....
i just picked up my sa trp today but had not had a chance too shoot it
it hurt my pocket pretty good but as soon as i do i will let you know how
it went..... as far as kimber i only shot one was once for about fifty rounds
worked great and seem like excellent guns....

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I have a TRP Operator and a Kimber Custom CDP II. They are both great guns but for carry the aluminum framed CDP would get the nod. As an officer you're already carrying a lot of weight on your belt I'll bet. For that reason I think the Tactical would be the better of the two and that's tough to say because I like the TRP Operator very much.

Both guns have been very reliable and accurate. I think you'll also find a much greater holster selection for the Custom Tactical.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts