1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this is in the correct forum.

Made it home from a gunshow yesterday with 6 (yes 6) Brown Plastic right side grips in very good shape. On the inside they are stamped 5564062, and have strengthing ribs. Anyone have a good/very good spare LH one of these? I need one. I got all 6 for 5 bucks, so if anyone needs a RH one give me a buzz.

This is to go on a Colt WWII repo.

Thanks in advance.

Roy

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Roy, that is the left grip part number is 5560462, the right grip part number is 5564063. Current issue is either black or brown, and you can get a new set for about $10 on ebay.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Those are post WWII grips, and the lelft side grip will be stamped 5564063. The original grips did not have the drawing number, but their drawning numbers were C64062 and C64063. Is your grip maker marked, as several contractors apparently made them, and some are Keyes marked. Unlike the late Colt grips, all I have seen have are the narrow ring variety.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Replacement grips with #'s 5564062 and 5564063

These grips were mfg by Keyes Fibre Co. of New York City and are also
refered to as Korean War contract replacement grips. If you would like a complete matching set of actual late model Colt USGI grips for $10, I would
go here: http://www.simpsonltd.com/ I have purchased a set of late model
Colt grips from them for my 1943 USGI Colt ( thanks to DSK for the tip).
Now if you want the Keyes replacement matching left grip, send me a
private message as I might be able to help you in your search.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
gunner.45 said:
These grips were mfg by Keyes Fibre Co. of New York City and are also
refered to as Korean War contract replacement grips.
The Keyes Fiber Grips with those numbers will also have the 5 pt. star with the K inside and mold numbers. Here is an example:

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Attached are photos of grips from at least four different post-WWII grip manufacturers. Each is a little different in the way the back of the grips are made. There are also late grips with no marking at all. Some of the late grips have a high fabric content, probably for reinforcing to prevent breakage.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts