1911Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I took my future-father-in-law (about 6 weeks to go) to the range a few times over the last month -- and now he has the sickness too -- he wants a new toy -- a lever-action rifle. The only problem is that I don't know diddly about them.

I was under the impresison that old cowboy styled lever-actions came in 30/30, but I hear that they sell .22 LR, .45 Colt, .357 and .44 magnum. We have a family membership at a nearby indoor range, which only allows pistol calibers, so the latter would work fine. I doubt we'll be doing any hunting or cowboy circuits.

Can anyone give me any pros and cons regarding the various calibers, as well as the different manufacturers, such as Henry, Uberti, etc. :scratch:

Anything would help!

·
Registered
249 Posts
leverguns

Marlin I" think" is one the last made in America company. Winchester is made in America and made by Miroku. There are several other importers Rossi, EMf ect. . Marlins are competively priced and have a good reputation as shooters as do Winchesters.
There are a wide range of calibers for fun plinking, would look at .38/.357 Mag mild recoil and muzzle report. This would be fairly inexpensive to shoot in .38 and could be used as home protection weapon in .357 (10 shot).
Edited to correct error, Thanks to all for correct info.

·
Banned
91 Posts
I have a rather new Marlin 1894C in .357 Mag caliber. It is great, .38Spl ammo barely causes the muzzle to rise. I don't know why I waited buying one.

Some cowboy rifles may have been .30/30, but that round is rather "new", it is a smokeless powder round. I think many of the old guns were .44/40 or .38/40.

BUY American, buy Marlin. The Marlin can be had in .44Mag and I think .45 Colt as well. Both of those larger rounds would add some weight to the rather light .357 carbine.

Now to find a good source of 158 grain lead SWC .38Spl ammo...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Lead bullets and lever guns

First off, I have a weakness for lever rifles. Hunt with a bolt action, have a lot of fun with a lever. As far as caliber, they are available in everything from .22LR, 30-30, a lot of pistol calibers and the 45-70, 444 and 450 Marlin in serious rifle chamberings.

Now to MikeC's question about lead bullets as most seem to be jacketed today. GOEX, the blackpowder maker, is selling the old timey rounds (44-40, 38-20, 44 schofield, etc) loaded up with BP for all the cowboy action guys who have repros chambered for cartridges that were originaly BP. The upshot of this is they are also going to sell components. Nice, soft, lead bullets. :rock: I see busy winter days with my 45-70 dies and a few cans of BP.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I also have a Marlin 1894C in .357Mag. It's real fun to shoot and you can load up ammo with a little more oomph than for a revolver. I use H110 powder and get chrony results with 125, 158 and 180 gr bullets that are all about 200fps faster than with my Ruger Security Six 6in. No recoil to speak of.

·
Registered
23,262 Posts
Marlin 39A .22 if he is not shooting to get his jollies from the noise and recoil. The Henry is not a bad little gun and is less expensive.

Marlin 1894 in .357 or .44 Magnum or .45 Colt if he wants to feel some kick.

The Winchester 94 in pistol calibers is not as smooth a gun as the .30-30 or the short action Marlins.

There are a number of South American and Italian knockoffs of Winchester 66, 73, and 92. The ******* are cheap and the Eyetalians are very nice and quite expensive.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the great suggestions on the Marlin and the various pistol calibers. I started looking at the Marlin website today. Looks like I have a bit more homework to do, but now I'm covering the right ground faster than I would have on my own. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Greetings,

My 2 cents - Marlin recently revived the model 1894CL in .32-20. I always remember this as one of Skeeter Skelton's favorite cartridges. I used to look forward to Skeeter's columns in ShootingTimes magazine years ago. He was mighty indignant when they came out with the .32 mag. He always said the .32-20 cartridges are very cheap and can be loaded to equal the .32 magnum.

Besides being cheap to shoot, the .32-20 has a lot of history being about as old as the .45 Colt. Lots of Colt single actions were built in .32-20. They used to refer to some of the old Winchester model 53s as a gun for the week. Load it on Monday and shoot until Sunday.

Anyway, I have several Marlins including a Marlin Cowboy in .357 mag. that shoots great. It has the 24 inch octagon barrel. Good solid gun made by a good solid American company. Fun to reload for too.

Good luck,

Dave.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Winchester 94s not made in America! What sort of darn fool talk is that?

Boy I'm an Aussie and I'm even offended by such traitorous talk!

Dang, that would be a sad day.

Didn't mean to offend you crackerjack, but that sort of talk could get you into a fight in some places.

Mick.

·
Administrator
13,406 Posts
Hi Mick . Hope things are well with you .

Not to worry . As DPris points out , the Win 94 is indeed still Made in the USA :cool:

As for the original topic , I would look hard at a .22 cal 39A , used Win 9422 or a Henry Arms lever 22 . Depending on your budget , you can pick up a Henry (Made in NY) for about $200-225 . Nice looking walnut stock and they shoot pretty well . If he decides he's just not enjoying the new hobby , he's not out $400 for the Marlin . If he does , he can always add a centerfire 1894 Marlin :) Many options out there as you've noticed .

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Yes, it is. So was the 9422. I didn't go through the whole list, but Winchester's main line of guns is very much still made in the US.
All of the 94 variants, in rifle and handgun calibers, are made in America. It's the limited editions that are done by Miroku, and Miroku's done several for Browning, too. Browning has no plant of its own. The Miroku guns are fitted and finished better than the US-made Winchester leverguns.
Denis

·
Registered
30 Posts
Win 94 is nice

I recently got a win 1894 legacy 24" in .357. beautiful shooter. 1 minor little problem that I fixed myself. beautiful shooter. accurate to 75yds (range limit not me) the best wood i've seen in a long time. The best part is the $410.00 I paid for this special order rifle. Not too bad. I do wish it had the cresent stock though.. Thinking about putting one on.:rock:

Oh.. did I mention this was a beautiful shooter....?:cool:

·
Registered
622 Posts
I've got a Marlin 1894S in .41 Mag that I've had since 1988. Shoots great, and added a Williams rear sight. The only thing I don't like about the Marlin is the fat forearm, just not as trim as my 1941 Winchester 94 in .30 WCF (30-30). Ruger also makes the 94/44 lever in 44 mag and Browning contiues to manufacter the BLR in short and long actions (think .243/.308 win and 270/30-06). Browning has their .22LR rifle and theres a bunch of Savage 99 still floating around.

CD

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.