1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://forums.1911forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=150371&stc=1&d=1439442953

Well, I cut a new frame after screwing up the VIS on the first one. I made the bed cut to exactly .315, and the bottom .361 diameter plunge cut for the VIS to exactly .270 deeper than the barrel bed cut, as specified in the barrel instructions. The problem is, the barrel radius is sitting on the frame, and the ramp is still quite a way from contacting the bed, which means that only the bottom half of the rear radius of the barrel is contacting the VIS. This seems wrong to me, but I need expert opinions. Should I relieve a certain amount of the inner part of the top of the frame to allow the barrel to drop down? If so, should I try to still have the frame contacting the barrel? This picture is without a link installed. The hood looks the way it does because I just welded it.

Attachments

·
Registered
502 Posts
I think Schuemann says to relieve the edge until there is a flat .050 wide as a clearance for the radius. Do not take my word for it. Please check their website. This is a Wilson/Nolan correct?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think Schuemann says to relieve the edge until there is a flat .050 wide as a clearance for the radius. Do not take my word for it. Please check their website. This is a Wilson/Nolan correct?
Yeah, it turns out that that is just for the junction between the two milled surfaces, which allows clearance for the rear of the bottom lug's fillet. It does say in the timing section "...Then disassemble the gun and remove small amounts of metal from the frame
where contact is obvious and repeat the preceding sequence until the contact between
the barrel standing lugs and frame is reasonably uniform. The strongest contact should be
in the upper portion of the vertical surfaces. There should be no contact between the barrel
and frame rails, no contact between the barrel and frame in the horizontal portion of
the slot, and only light contact between the lower portion of the vertical surfaces.", so I'm wondering if this actually addresses my question or not. It appears so, but I'm hoping to hear from an expert or two before I trash another frame.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts