1911Forum banner

Which one for a nightstand gun?

  • Para-Ordnance P14-45 LDA Nite Tac

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Springfield Armory MC Operator

    Votes: 20 74.1%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am looking for a "nightstand" gun and have narrowed it to these two. I thought hard about the Sig GSR, but want to wait until things settle with it (initial problems, external extractor debate). Plus, these two appeal to me more anyway.

So, it comes down to the P14 LDA Nite Tac and the Springfield Armory MC Operator. I want both, but that is not realistic for the moment. The Para runs $759 NIB and the Springfield I have not see for less than $899 (gunshow price which means waiting for the next show to come to town). The gun might get carried, but will likely be a “nightstand” gun and sit quietly with a Surefire X200B on it for the bump in the night we all hope never happens. It will of course see trips to the range and *maybe* an occasional IDPA type event.

P14:
Good:
-- I already possess plenty of P14 mags and this is the gun that fits my hand better than all others
-- Comes with night sights
-- Integral light rail
-- Amazing trigger for a DAO gun (feels like it’s SA) so I don’t have to either store it cocked and locked, or take the time to cock it if something goes bump in the night.
-- 14+1 45ACP!!! Actually… with the two extended mags I have… 17+1 and 18+1 will be the order of the day :D
-- I can carry two P14s (already own a single action version) ready to go in one of these, or one of these. ;)
-- Intimately familiar with design/layout/etc and could operate it in my sleep if need be

Bad:
-- Will not work with existing 1911/P14 holsters due to light rail (except my tactical holster that is nylon)


Springfield MC Operator:

Good:
-- Always wanted a single stack 1911 and Springfield makes some of the best around
-- Integral light rail
-- Comes with night sights and Novak sights
-- Front cocking serrations


Bad:
-- Will not work with existing 1911/P14 holsters due to light rail (except already mentioned nylon tactical – read: hardly ever used)
-- Do NOT dig the the OD colored frame but it's the only color available
-- Would need to buy new grips to get rid of those rubberized Pachymars
-- Would need to buy Wilson, Novak, McCormick 8rd and 10rd magazines
-- 10+1 45 ACP (only bad when going up against the Para) ;)
-- Price ($140 more than the P14)
-- Front sight is ramped (I prefer a patrige style blade)
-- Needs a magazine funnel IMO

So, there you have it. Go forth and vote. The P14 seems to have the advantage on paper... but buying another version of a gun I already own seems silly in some manner... but is a Para just like any other 1911? If so, then that logic applies to both. :dunno: Thanks. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,305 Posts
i voted for the Springer but does one grab you over the other? it looks like you are headed for the P14 by the initial way this was written up.

both makers have decent reputations at our range. i am a Springer owner and shooter.....but what grabs you?

be safe, shoot well.:rock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
The Springer is my nightstand gun. I have a Streamlight M3X on it, along with a magwell and VZ grips. Its a hell of a package and one I would have no hesitation in trusting my life to.

You say you don't own a single stack 1911? You're missing out. Don't get the 10 round mags though unless you want to shoot L-10 USPSA. The 7 and 8 round mags are a lot more reliable. Personally, I like the Wilson 8 rounders and my Springer prefers this to any others, including a lot of 7 round mags.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,504 Posts
I, myself am completely enamoured with the "power extractor". If someone points out a "weakness" in the 1911 design, most will say it's the extractor. I believe that's why manufacturers like S&W, Kimber and SIG went to the external for greater reliability and at least in the Kimber, it was a failure. I've been on the boards and there is a lot of complaints about the external extractor. Well, Para Ordnance not only improved it, they kept it internal and that has to be commended.

Now, saying all this, I still love Springers (1st time using that term). I just hope some day (after the patent expires), all 1911's will have the power extractor. I expect an external extractor on a High Power, on a 1911, an external just looks plain ugly.(IMO)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mitrod3 said:
i voted for the Springer but does one grab you over the other? it looks like you are headed for the P14 by the initial way this was written up.

both makers have decent reputations at our range. i am a Springer owner and shooter.....but what grabs you?

be safe, shoot well.:rock:
On paper the Para is the obvious choice, but there is something drawing me to the MCO. :scratch: I think part of me was hoping that y'all would talk me into it maybe? :D

cliffy109 said:
The Springer is my nightstand gun. I have a Streamlight M3X on it, along with a magwell and VZ grips. Its a hell of a package and one I would have no hesitation in trusting my life to.

You say you don't own a single stack 1911? You're missing out. Don't get the 10 round mags though unless you want to shoot L-10 USPSA. The 7 and 8 round mags are a lot more reliable. Personally, I like the Wilson 8 rounders and my Springer prefers this to any others, including a lot of 7 round mags.
The Para wide bodies always fit my large hands better than the single stacks. I hadn't heard the Wilson 10rd mags were unreliable... I also like the 8rd Novaks mags. I know either gun will be trustworthy and one day both will be in my collection. Just can't decide which gets in first.


HiVelSword said:
I, myself am completely enamoured with the "power extractor". If someone points out a "weakness" in the 1911 design, most will say it's the extractor. I believe that's why manufacturers like S&W, Kimber and SIG went to the external for greater reliability and at least in the Kimber, it was a failure. I've been on the boards and there is a lot of complaints about the external extractor. Well, Para Ordnance not only improved it, they kept it internal and that has to be commended.

Now, saying all this, I still love Springers (1st time using that term). I just hope some day (after the patent expires), all 1911's will have the power extractor. I expect an external extractor on a High Power, on a 1911, an external just looks plain ugly.(IMO)
I like it as well and would love to get a new P14 slide with the PXT to go on my 1993 model P14. In fact, having Novak's build a custom gun with a Caspian Titanium frame w/ rail and a Para PXT slide suddenly seems like a wonderful thing! :D :rock:
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top