1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting tired of using a powder trickler to weight my charges and am looking at getting an automatic powder dispenser. Which one do you guys like the best?

I'm also considering a Sinclair concentricity gauge, but can't decide between the dial indicator or the digital indicator.

Help me decide on the best way to treat myself for Christmas. :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have an older two piece RCBS electronic unit and love it for doing rifle loads. It has metered 7828, 4064, 4898, and 335 powders well for me and has proven to be spot on when cross checking on a balance beam scale. Only complaints I've ever had are the power supplies (different voltages, can't mix them) and the rubber feet falling off the Powder Pro scale (which were easy to replace). I'm sold on it and wouldn't hesitate recommending it to anyone!

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
I recently took delivery of my 4th automatic powder dispenser.
I'm putting them through their paces to make a 'range report'.

I got a Pact last year, it is so crummy. It started this quest of mine.
I couldn't believe that they're all crummy, so I started buying other brands.

I got an RCBS Chargemaster at the beginning of this year. The most expensive, but flawless.

I received a Hornady Autocharge two months ago, I'll let you know
when I'm finished with Hornady customer service to get the thing running right.
I won't bash them if this one doesn't run, let's see how they make it right.

I just unwrapped a Lyman Compact yesterday. It looks great, but I haven't plugged it in yet.

With my tests incomplete, I can only say two things:
The Pact never worked, and their customer service has been revolting. I puke in their general direction.
The RCBS has been flawless.
No other conclusions yet.

Note: Smart Reloader also has an auto dispenser, but the other Smart Reloader
equipment I own fails to work, period. It would be smart for the reloader to
reconsider Smart Reloader...

If you're willing to wait till January or so, I should be able to give you
a complete report on all four of the major auto dispensers.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input fellas! I think I'm sold on the RCBS.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Wow Nick four dispensers huh.

I only have experience with the RCBS Chargemaster.Ithas been flawless,the scale and dispenser work greets.It really make working up loads in pistol and batch loading Rifle really fast,simple and most important consistent.I don't see how it could get any better for a dispenser.

I've got a BNIB Redding powder trickler and Redding #2 beam scale that's only been used twice. I hang onto them as back ups but hope My chargemaster lasts a long time. Atleast Until I can afford another one to replace it. Hehe

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
My PACT is fine.
A friend got a dud and went RCBS.
I'm interested in finding out what the dud problem was.
Certain features of the Pact are superior - like twin feed tubes.
But if the dispenser won't communicate with the scale,
the Combo is useless.

For the sake of testing and reporting, I'm still working with Pact to fix mine.
Returning it to them on my dime won't make me happy. Same with Hornady.
I'll give them a chance and see what develops.

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
Geeze, electronic powder dispensers...

My $0.02-

RCBS Uniflow, RCBS 10-10 scale, RCBS scale check weights and skip the electronic stuff that's liable to leave you hanging with no way to run off a batch of your favorite -06 deer slayer loads a few days before the season opens!

In the same vein I'd lean towards the dial rather than digital bullet runout gauge but I'd recommend you give this one a look before settling on the Sinclair-not everyone seems to know about Forster Products but my experience with their equipment had been very, very good.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=FP010482&src=tpMfg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Another vote for the RCBS ChargeMaster combo. It's the only one I've ever used, but after using it I've never seen a need to try another.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Geeze, electronic powder dispensers...

My $0.02-

RCBS Uniflow, RCBS 10-10 scale, RCBS scale check weights and skip the electronic stuff that's liable to leave you hanging with no way to run off a batch of your favorite -06 deer slayer loads a few days before the season opens!

In the same vein I'd lean towards the dial rather than digital bullet runout gauge but I'd recommend you give this one a look before settling on the Sinclair-not everyone seems to know about Forster Products but my experience with their equipment had been very, very good.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=FP010482&src=tpMfg
Thanks for the input. I do have several other ways to measure charges. I just want a quicker way that is consistant.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Capt Methane, ya still weighting charges for your old cap-and-ball revolvers, or ya moved on up to that newfangled "smokeless" stuff yet?:rofl:

LOVE my Chargemaster. From looking at several related threads here in the last couple years, buying anything else is quite a risk.

Bob

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
No, I've got measures for the front loaders too Arkie, they're on the end of the powder horn/flask-real accurate too!

Really, is a chargemaster that much quicker than the Uniflow? Or does it make the user more comfortable because it weighs every charge?

The reason that I mentioned the Uniflow is that it sounds like SWThomas doesn't have a measure, just the trickler. It's an option that I still think is viable...and doesn't rely on electronics that can go kaput at the least opportune moment!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have a Uniflow, but it I have to set it up to consistently drop below my target weight so that I can hand trickle up, its faster than just trickling by hand but it still takes a long time.

If the uniflow or other similar style measures could consistently drop stick powder like they do ball or flake powder then most people would not need the electric trickler.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I have an recbs chargemaster. if it dies tonight, I will buy another one in the morning. I love this thing and the digital read out is easy on older eyes!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No, I've got measures for the front loaders too Arkie, they're on the end of the powder horn/flask-real accurate too!

Really, is a chargemaster that much quicker than the Uniflow? Or does it make the user more comfortable because it weighs every charge?

The reason that I mentioned the Uniflow is that it sounds like SWThomas doesn't have a measure, just the trickler. It's an option that I still think is viable...and doesn't rely on electronics that can go kaput at the least opportune moment!
I currently have a Dillon digital scale that I weigh trickled charges on. And I have several Dillon powder measures for use on the press. I want a dispenser to do my precision loads with. I will be doing quite a few when my new bolt gun is finished and I build my precision AR-15.

It won't be the end of the world if an electronic device ****s the bed. I'll just stop and load some pistol ammo while I'm waiting for the new one to arrive.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Been using the ChargeMaster for about 5 years now without issue.
I don't use it all the time, but when I need it, it's ready for me.

I also have other ways to measure and weigh powder as mentioned, it was just a choice I made that worked out well.

There is ALWAYS a chance of a lemon....in anything you buy no matter the cost.

Don2

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Been using the ChargeMaster for about 5 years now without issue.
I don't use it all the time, but when I need it, it's ready for me.

I also have other ways to measure and weigh powder as mentioned, it was just a choice I made that worked out well.

There is ALWAYS a chance of a lemon....in anything you buy no matter the cost.

Don2
True. But I hear RCBS has the best warranty out of all the other dispensers and stands behind their gear.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
It's a tool in the tool box. Each makes his/her own choice.

Depending upon your process, auto dispensers can set you a good step ahead.
The best ones (like Chargemaster) include a memory for your favorite loads.
If you have certain loads you always load, set them in memory for next time.
Also, they keep a running count of your rounds as you charge them.
And of course, they weigh every charge.

Here's a big fundamental difference: Static problems and bridging are non-existent.
It drops powder into the pan and then slows down as it reaches the target weight,
then stops a tenth or two below target weight and trickles tiny amounts.
Thus, bridging or sticking or static or any of the other problems inherent
with all other powder measures don't exist. You don't even have to 'season' it
with graphite or dryer sheets or anything else.

Downfall:
Really expensive. And not all of them work. In fact,
sometimes they can be so frustrating you just want
to take it out and shoot it. That's why we want to
find out which units are least likely to fail.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
Additional Note:
At times I use it with the progressive. It slows down the progressive's speed of course.
But if I'm setting up a test and the dies are in the XL650, I just pull the rod off the powder measure,
then pull the locating pin in Station 3 to remove each case and charge it with powder.
Then back into Station 3 and proceed.

Slower than 1000 rounds per hour? Sure. But this is for setting up a string of tests.
Progressive owners, stop and think about it. To set up a test from starting load
to max load, you aren't going to adjust the powder measure for each increment.
You're going to weigh off press anyway. Auto dispensers make it faster and easier,
and each charge is weighed individually.

But each person makes his/her own choice. For my process, the auto dispenser is a huge step ahead.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts