1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new bolt rifle and scope combo in the $1000.00 (give or take $100) price range.

Things I know I want:
Rifle
Synthetic or laminate stock
.270 WSM
Scope
Either a Burris or Leupold
no more than 16x magnification

What suggestions do you guys have on rifle manufacture and configuration and scope model?

This will be for tower stand hunting with shots up to 300 yards.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Banned
183 Posts
That's simple.

Browning A-Bolt Composite Stalker at just under $600

Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 at $400.

The Tikka T3 would be another good choice for even less----but go with a 7mm mag or .300 Win mag in that one-----as they only come in long action---so the short mag would be a waste there.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
If you want the WSM's you are somewhat limited at this point. If it were me I'd go for a Tikka in 25-06, but thats just me. I have two Brownings that are quite accurate, though, so that'd be fine too. I also have a Winchester model 70 featherweight thats decent, but I have heard so so reviews on newer winchesters.

As far as scopes--if you can afford a vari-x III go for it, they are very nice scopes and ou won't go wrong, but its always been hard for me to justify the price. If you want the lifetime warranty at a better price, I have owned several Burris scopes and like them (the crosshairs stay BLACK, they never do that metallic look thing under certain light conditions). The Nikon Monarch is one of the brightest, clearest scopes I have seen. Other excellent affordable scopes--the new Weavers, the Bushnell Elites...well, of the top of my head thats about it. Not that there aren't some ok bargain basement ones too, but some of those mentioned are pretty cheap already (weavers for instance).

·
Registered
334 Posts
I bought a Browning A-Bolt Medallion and a Leupold VariXIII 3.5-9 for just over $1K and it was a left handed rifle so it was about $80 more than the right handed version. Couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Winchester Model 70 ~$500-600. Leupold 3.5-10x ~$400.
I would get the wood stock and blued metal. If you get the Browning A-Bolt, make sure you get the trigger worked on. Probably the same on all of them, but I know Browning's trigger is about 15lbs out of the box.
Aaron.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
http://www.savagearms.com/11fxp3.htm

at least the varmint package uses a burris scope...so i can only assume...altho the price of hte package would sugges otherwize...IMO cant beat the savages as a price to accuracy advantage. And they have good triggers. either way i recomend a savage...and find a buris scope...4-12 is a good magnification range IMO pretty much covers everything but the 22rimfire 36x benchrest competitions

·
Registered
281 Posts
tower stand

I noticed you said tower stand hunting. Are you planning on hunting Texas whitetails? You said your range was to 300 yds. You don't need any more than 6-7 power scope at that ranges, with 9 being the absolute max and you probably won't use it. If your varmit hunting at those ranges thats different but for deer 6 power is ideal. Any higher and it is very hard to quickly find anything closer up say 50-75 yards. Leopold VX-II scopes run around 250.00 for a 2-7 power. If you ever hunt in thick brush/timber the 2-4 range is best. I have a straight 4 power, by choice not cause I am cheap on a 7x57 it is good to 250 yds anyday and 300 is the outside. I use a 1.75-6 on one of my 300 mags, and a 3.5-10 on one I have set up as a canyon shooter (800-1000 yds). I have a couple of other scopes that are high power I pulled the off my guns cause I didn't like them at all.

If is was my only deer rifle I would insist on the long eye relief so you don't need your eye so close to the scope, it helps on close fast shots.

Rifles: Does it have to be new? There are some excellent older guns.

New:
1. Sako
2. Winchester Model 70
3. CZ 550
4. Remington
5. Browning (are there barrels still made in Japan:( previous bad experiences

Used:
1. Belgium FN
2. pre 64 Winchester Model 70
3. Sako
4. Husqvarna
5. Custom Mausers
6. Older Parker Hale

There are some others to look at Weatherby ( in 257WM or 7mm), Mannlicher etc. I have owned about 70% of the above list and shoot all but one. There aren't any bad ones above just some that will suit you taste and style better. Cartridges range from a 257 Roberts on the low side, then 270,280, or a 7MM mag (if you ever plan on a Elk hunt).

My keepers for ever and ever from the above list are my old G33/40 mauser (custom), my FN, and 1958 Winchester model 70. But if I ever ran across a good older Sako it would also hit the never leave list.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Since it was brought up, I also was told that browning triggers were horrible, but after looking at some new samples I was convinced to buy an A-Bolt and the trigger is not only adjustable, it's also very very smooth and crisp. I heard the bad trigger bit from at least 3 shops/people before I got to try one out. All that I tried were very crisp.

There are probably better buys out there than the browning if you're looking for strictly performance, but I prefer my guns to have some soul as well as performance and I just don't get that soul from plastic and stainless or dull wood and cheap bluing.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a synthetic/stainless gun if I were looking for something to take a beating, but it wouldn't make my never to sell list like my brownings and my Kimber.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts