1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the one that automatically separtes the media from the clean cases by pulling the drain at side into a pan using the normal vibrating motion. If that is the case there will no need for a separator.

In the market for a tumbler and Separator & wnat to hear your opinions on one to get. Would like to get one that is durable and functional and of course reasonably priced.

Any particular brand that I should stay away?
What is an ideal size to get?

Thanks,

ASR

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I've got the Lyman Auto-Flo tumbler. I've used it weekly for about 1 1/2 years. It appears to be a quality, reasonably priced unit. It's quiet, and the "drain plug" works pretty well - at least enough to get MOST of the media out of the brass and tumbler. You usually have to knock a few stubborn pieces out of the brass by hand, with a tap or two.

I'd recommend it.

As for the size to get, that depends on how much you shoot, or want to clean at a time. The Lyman 1200 will tumble about 300 .45 ACP brass at one time, the 2200 holds about 700, and the 3200 holds close to 1000.

[This message has been edited by shane45-1911 (edited 07-18-2001).]

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I got one about 6 years ago, the drain plug kept coming out after a short time, dumping all the media on the garage floor. I finally got fed up with it and jb welded the damn plug in place. bought a dillon media seperator, and have been happy ever since.

[This message has been edited by supercomp (edited 07-19-2001).]

·
Banned
1,609 Posts
I have had a plain Lyman 1200 for 20+ years. I have not heard anything positive about the Auto-Flo method of operation. Stick with a regular model and buy the Dillon media separator. Unless you process a lot of cases go with the small Dillon. The large one is big enough to bathe in. Midsouthshooterssupply.com has several tumbler models in their catalog. Good folks to deal with also.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The Auto-Flo is the best tumbler to get. I've been tumbling on a 1200 weekly for 2 years and haven't had a problem. As far as knocking the media out of the cases, it works best if you sift the cases through your hand a couple times while they are vibrating in the tumbler. This seems to get all media out, since brass likes to sit head down in the bowl. The plug in my tumbler seats really tight and takes some working with to remove. Have never had the spill problem.

Note: Refer to AR-15.com post on subject.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts