1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a complete teardown today (my first),kinda nerve wracking too. I used metal polish & gave my stainless pro carry a high polished trigger and hammer. I also wanted something different than the rubber grips so I put on the grey black Wilson Combat grips. Honestly, do you think it looks good? If I had put Colt grips on, that would be wrong since they don't sell aftermarket parts like Wilson. I don't want folks to think I'm trying to play off the Kimber as a Wilson. I have a firing pin, extractor, front grip etc. so I look at this like a Ford Mustang with Saleen parts. It's the last pic-http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/brookstexas/lst?.dir=/gunstuff&.view=t

[This message has been edited by brookstexas (edited 07-28-2001).]

·
Registered
75 Posts
You should try polishing your flats with some super fine sandpaper. You can make it look like a Gold Match. Mine looks great. Be sure to lay the paper on something real flat and push the slide/frame back and forth in straight strokes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by MasterMind:
You should try polishing your flats with some super fine sandpaper. You can make it look like a Gold Match. Mine looks great. Be sure to lay the paper on something real flat and push the slide/frame back and forth in straight strokes.
Sounds like a plan, advice, grit number etc.?
Thanks,
BT

·
Registered
3,983 Posts

[This message has been edited by Nathan (edited 07-28-2001).]

·
Registered
873 Posts
Brooks,

Did you have any kind of help in the complete teardown? I would like to try it with my pro carry, but I'd like to have some extra help.

I just picked up my black pro carry on Thursday night. I noticed that a lot of people don't like the rubber grips, but I for one, really like them. It helps prevent slipage in my hand when I shoot.

Have you looked into getting a 3-finger grip on the front? I noticed that your pistol has the checkered front. I don't like the checkering. It eats up my hand.

-Nick

·
Registered
75 Posts
The bead blast finish on your Kimber is tough, so don't be afraid to start with 100 grit and work your way up to 600 or even higher. I originally took mine to a mirror finish, but later went back and used 150 grit to give it a brushed look. Be sure to use a glass plate and even strokes. If you unscrew your grip screw studs you can do the frame too. The plunger tube is difficult to work arround, but the grips, slide release and safety will cover the areas you have trouble getting to look just right. Be sure to use locktite when you reinstall the grip studs. Use some duck tape on the side of your rear sight just in case you roll the slide a little and touch it against the sand paper. Most of all, take your time.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by nickcarr:
Brooks,

Did you have any kind of help in the complete teardown? I would like to try it with my pro carry, but I'd like to have some extra help.
<snip>
-Nick
Get Gunsmithing Pistols & revolvers bty Patrick Sweeney, Amazon.com etc has it, it even covers teardown on my Glocks & PT99!
Awesome book for the home smith, includes minor & major work, depends on how brave you are!
Brooks

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Master,
Post some pics!
BT

Originally posted by MasterMind:
The bead blast finish on your Kimber is tough, so don't be afraid to start with 100 grit and work your way up to 600 or even higher. I originally took mine to a mirror finish, but later went back and used 150 grit to give it a brushed look. Be sure to use a glass plate and even strokes. If you unscrew your grip screw studs you can do the frame too. The plunger tube is difficult to work arround, but the grips, slide release and safety will cover the areas you have trouble getting to look just right. Be sure to use locktite when you reinstall the grip studs. Use some duck tape on the side of your rear sight just in case you roll the slide a little and touch it against the sand paper. Most of all, take your time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts