1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking for opinion from you milspec owners on here BTW I'am referring to the milspec not the GI milspec model. I know springfield makes a good product but would like feedback from fellow forum memeber who own these springers. I'am interested in how well your milsepc worked from the get go and what if anything it might have needed i.e. extractor tweaking etc.? Also any pics of your milspecs stock of with mods would be great to. Last thing is is it true the milspecs are finished in the U.S.,and have one piece barrels? This last part isn't a big deal to me but I was just curious thanks in advance.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mil-Spec

Have taken mine to the range twice. A hundred rounds each time no problems.

Added a Dlask flat mainspring housing, shock buffer and Houge soft rubber grips.

Just added the shock buffer so I don't know if it makes much of a diff. Was told by my gunsmith (Joe Dlask of Dlask Arms Corp.) that it will extend the life of the frame.

I may do some further upgrades later.

Attachments

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice gun border,also does anyone here know if the milspecs have glued on or pinned ejectors? If they are glued on then in the event one broke off is the hole already in the frame to have a new one pinned in place?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I got a stainless steel mil-spec a few months ago with a plan to upgrade it, but aside from putting a tactical mag catch, shock-buff and a new rear sight on (drop-in CMC Low-rider), I haven't felt any need to do much else. It shoots accurately, reliably, and comfortably. There is virtually no play in vertical or horizontal, so whomever did the fitting did a nice job.

Mine has a two piece barrel and a pinned ejector. One interesting thing is that the slide and frame are both hand scribed with 243 presumably by the person who did the slide-frame fit. Great gun at a great price.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I got one a month and half ago, a Mil Spec in Stainless steel. I thought I would have to send it to a smith to get tightened up, but the gun was super smooth out of the box, tight fit on the frame, only 1 jam on FIocchi(read, hot round) in the last 850 rounds. The gun shoots better than I can, and with my bad technique and shaky hands it gives me 3 inch group at 25 yards off hand in rapid fire on cheap ammo(AE, etc)

I liked it so much I bought a GI as soon as 1 month had passes.

Nick

·
Banned
190 Posts
SA Mil Spec

I bot my Mil Spec used. It wasn't used very much so I got a good price\deal on the gun. My upgrades to it were:

Trigger
Smith & Alexander Mag
Kings Drop in Beavertail
Nowlin Trigger Kit
Dawson Fiber Optic Front sight
Chip McCormick Grips
Chip McCormick Rear Site
EGW Bushing

By far the two best performance upgrades were the Nowlin trigger kit and the EGW bushing. The Dawson sight is excellent for my older eyes. The other stuff is for "nice and pretty".

I havn't done anything else and the gun is a great shooter. I push thousands of rounds thru it (this is why I bot a LNL progressive) and it gives me no greif. Just like any other gun, maintain it and it will be good to you.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
1911luver said:
nice gun border,also does anyone here know if the milspecs have glued on or pinned ejectors? If they are glued on then in the event one broke off is the hole already in the frame to have a new one pinned in place?
Mine was glued in with some kind of Loctite. There was no hole to pin one in, either. I had SA Custom Shop drill a hole and pin the ejector when the pistol went in for other work. Love the Mil Spec, both as-is and modified.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Picked up a slighly used (2003 production) NM Milspec two months ago. It has the one piece stainless barrel, stainless bushing, and glued ejector.

I change out the ILS mainspring housing with an arched GI and replaced the extractor and slide stop with Ed Brown Hardcore parts....not because they needed replacing but it is my CCW and wanted to put some high end small parts in it. The black grips did crack but a phone call to Springfield got another set to me. I have a little over 500 rounds of FMJ and not one problem at all. If the ejector does go south, I'm sure Springfield would take care of it under warranty....mine is still tight as a tick.

This thing just flat runs and it gets smoother every trip to the range. I would buy another in a heartbeat and recommend one to anyone asking.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I bought a parked Milspec in mid-2002.

Trigger was so-so, but most triggers are. Besides, I figure I'll need a trigger job for any pistol I own because I want them all to function the same, or as nearly the same as is possible. Bottom line: So-so trigger was a non-factor.

Two-piece barrel had less consistency than a random-number generator. If you aimed dead center of a pie plate at 15 yards, all the shots stayed on the pie plate, but you could never predict where they would hit. That was disappointing. Kept the bushing but replaced the barrel with a unfired Colt GM barrel I bought for $10 from a guy who had immediately replaced it with an aftermarket barrel before ever shooting his gun. My gunsmith fit the barrel to make sure it was properly set up. Cost was 0 since he was doing the trigger job at the same time. Now from 15 yards I get 1-3/4" groups with Magtech when I shoot from a pistol rest. Bottom line: Bad factory barrel was a bummer but easily and inexpensively remedied.

Replaced the cheesy factory plastic grips with black Alumagrips. Grips are so personal that it's difficult to advise people about them except to list the good and bad features. Good Alumagrip features: durable, attractive (to me), excellent grip without sharpness, light weight, probably provide more safety to my hands if a round explodes in the magazine. Bad Alumagrip features: cool or cold to the touch regardless of weather, not attractive to some folks, not traditional. Bottom line: Make a list of what features you want and what you don't want, and then pick a set.

Reliability has been excellent. The extractor somehow got tweeked after about 1000 rounds, causing some FTEs. Now have 3000 total rounds through it. All other failures have been due to a bad magazine follower and some bad factory ammo. Bottom line: I trust the gun (and I case gauge all ammo).

Total bottom line: My Milspec is a keeper; it's the perfect range gun that can also serve as a BUG at home; it shoots better than I do and at a very low price.

EDITED TO ADD: The only other mods were replacing the stock trigger with a black target trigger from Kings and adding some skateboard tape to the front strap.

·
Registered
198 Posts
There She Is!

Seraph said:
Mine was glued in with some kind of Loctite. There was no hole to pin one in, either. I had SA Custom Shop drill a hole and pin the ejector when the pistol went in for other work. Love the Mil Spec, both as-is and modified.
I had been away from this forum for awhile when I left you'd just sent Valentine back to the custom shop and I hadn't seen her since. She's really lookin good :rock:

Your posts about Valentine were the reason I bought my Milpsecs.

reno

·
Registered
346 Posts
I bought a Mil-Spec because I am going to use it as an upgrade project.

Before any upgrade – I had a big problem with the hammer bite. The trigger is as not clean as I expected.

After the upgrade, my Mil-Spec is much better now (and not to forget that this is such a fun/cheap 1911!).

Upgrades as follow:

o Trigger
o Hammer
o Beavertail
o MSH
o Ghost rail with Trijcon sight
o And the other guts inside…

·
Premium Member
9,656 Posts
Mine...

It worked fine from the get go, but some mods were pre-planed, such as the removal of all the chromed parts and the ILS MSH. Went back to Springfield because the bushing had more play than I was happy with (though she functioned fine and accuracy was acceptable). While it was there I had it shipped over to the Custom Shop for the work. Yes, she still has the two piece barrel, once a new bushing was fitted, she was plenty accurate (better than I am), so I couldn't see fixing something that clearly wasn't broken. The Castillo's Custom Actions ball bearing trigger was the final mod. :rock:

Oh, and my ejector was drilled and pinned, since been replaced with a Wilson (the original was chromed :barf: )

Robert

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do all milspec have the glued in ejectors? I had a GI milspec earlier this year and it had a drilled and pinned ejector,so I would assume that the newer production guns have a pinned rather then glued ejector now? Is this even a big or something I should be concerned with?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
1911luver said:
I am looking for opinion from you milspec owners on here BTW I'am referring to the milspec not the GI milspec model. I know springfield makes a good product but would like feedback from fellow forum memeber who own these springers. I'am interested in how well your milsepc worked from the get go and what if anything it might have needed i.e. extractor tweaking etc.? Also any pics of your milspecs stock of with mods would be great to. Last thing is is it true the milspecs are finished in the U.S.,and have one piece barrels? This last part isn't a big deal to me but I was just curious thanks in advance.

1911luver,

My milspec worked great outta the box,. Only thing I did was check the extractor tension and ran it! I shoot only FMJ's cuz of the expense of the whole thing. I dunna know about yours but mine has a two piece barrel and I'm not worried about it at all. Sorry no pics! No money for those fancy cameras.

rimfire,22

·
Registered
23,256 Posts
Of the two Loadeds that went into the MixMaster Project, the stainless gun's ejector was glued and the lightweight's was pinned. Good thing, I guess, the heat needed to melt the adhesive might have marred the finish on the aluminum. But the pinhole was crooked and lucky to have caught the notch on the ejector leg at all.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I bought a Parkerized Mil-Spec (not GI) because I'd heard it was a good starting point. It shot well enough (6-8" group at 50 yards), it shot much better than me, and allowed enough cash left over for a lot of ammunition to improve the latter.

Within a month I had a trigger job done. BIG improvement. Do that one change as soon as you can.

Many months later, and with more cash available, I had a Kart barrel and bushing installed, the slide/frame fit tightened and a red dot added to the slide.

It's a tack driver now.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The Milspec and Loaded models are all forged in Brazil, the N prefix serial numbered pistols are finished in Brazil (pinned ejectors, two piece barrels). The NM prefixed pistols are finished in the U.S.( locktited ejectors, one piece barrels). I have 2 Loadeds (NM) and 1 Milspec (N), my experience has been that the NM models are better finished, this doesn't mean there aren't exceptions. In any case you should fully strip and examine any pistol before buying, the one time I didn't, I regretted it later.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.