1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went and layed away my first 1911, a Kimber Custom Classic.I,d like to have an IWB and OWB for under 50 bucks each.You guys have more experince with 1911,s than me so your ideas would be appreciated.

·
Banned
802 Posts
Good luck with your 1911.

As to the holster, you may not like my advice. If I were you I would take the $100.00 that you have allotted for two holsters and spend the whole thing on one really good IWB instead. Check out the Sparks VM2 or the EX, or the Kramer IWB #3. One of those will do the job well and last for a long time. In the realm of holsters it's really accurate to say "buy cheap, buy twice".

------------------
DVC,
Sean

·
Registered
861 Posts
Doc, obtaining the 1911 and the CCW were the easy parts! There are more holsters out there than there are pickup trucks in Texas. I settled on an IWB from Springbok. It's a plastic job (Kydex???), and it's got a tensioning screw. It does a great job of holding and concealing a full size 1911, and I feel that it's reasonably comfortable. Cost, as I recall, was around 45 to 50 bux. Try springbokinc.com. I'm sure you will get a plethora of suggestions. Good luck finding a holster, and try to maintain your sanity in that daunting endeavor. Doc.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Seanmac has a good point. Instead of dishing out $100 for two holsters, why not spend the $100 on a dual purpose rig?

MD Enterprises has one that might fit your bill.

However, if you decide you want two seperate holsters, you can't go wrong with an Alessi Talon (IWB) and Mark Waldon's ACR-2 (pancake).

The Talon can be bought from www.rfholsters.com and the ACR-2 can be bought from http://www.waldonholsters.com/ both run $45.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input guys. You've given me much food for thought.As to the issue of the cheaper holsters verses the more expensive ones I will have to agree that in the past I've purchased holsters cause they seemed like a good deal a regretted it later.

M

·
0 Posts
Or how about two holsters for the price of one? The Double Threat can be worn Inside the Waistband with the fast snap loops or On the Belt by removing the loops and using the conventional belt slots.

<center>
</center>

------------------
Waldon Holster Co.
Custom Crafted Perfection

Quality Holsters at an Affordable Price
[email protected]
www.waldonholsters.com

[This message has been edited by MarkW (edited 02-04-2001).]

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
If you know someone with access to the discount, they can purchase you a Sparks Summer Special from Brownell's for $56.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Doc:

You just spent over $600 on an excellent gun. Don't get cheap buying a holster. I find when you get cheap, you end up paying twice: first when you buy a piece of junk, second when you buy quality to replace it.

There are some decent Kydex holsters at reasonable prices, including:
http://www.mdenterprise.com http://www.blade-tech.com

For IWB holsters, I prefer leather. Leather holsters are going to cost more than $50, and you will have to wait a bit for a custom holster. Don't bother with cheap nylon holsters.

I'm partial to Rusty Sherrick's holsters:
http://www.c-rusty.com

But I've also had good luck with Milt Sparks:
http://www.miltsparks.com

Either of these guys makes much better holsters than the semi-production places like Galco or Wilson Combat.

M1911

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice.I,ve been going to some of the websites you guys have suggested,still trying to decide.I have heard many praises on the Milt Sparks line.I have the luxary of time on my hands to help me hopefully make a good decision.I don't pick my Kimber up till tomorrow and I figure since this is my first 1911 style pistol, I'd like to practice awile and make sure this weapon is reliable before it becomes my main CCW weapon.Thanks for all the suggestions so far. One of my main concerns with this holster is to find one that is reasonably comfortable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a Kimber Custom Target last Saturday and am also looking for an IDPA holster. I also have a Kahr K40 and a SIG P229. I have Alessi Talons for both pistols as well as a Galco Concealable for the SIG. Both the Alessi and Galco are comfortable and retention, draw and reholster are excellent. I paid just over $50 apiece for all three holsters, but that is quite a bit less than the suggested price in the Galco catalog. Since I am taking my time learning the Kimber, I am also taking my time finding a holster for it.

Originally posted by Doc Glockiday:
Thanks for the advice.I,ve been going to some of the websites you guys have suggested,still trying to decide.I have heard many praises on the Milt Sparks line.I have the luxary of time on my hands to help me hopefully make a good decision.I don't pick my Kimber up till tomorrow and I figure since this is my first 1911 style pistol, I'd like to practice awile and make sure this weapon is reliable before it becomes my main CCW weapon.Thanks for all the suggestions so far. One of my main concerns with this holster is to find one that is reasonably comfortable.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
You might want to check out Ebay.I have found some good leather there for less than half the price.But it will problebly be used.It is a aution site.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went to a gun shop in a neighboring town yesterday and found a Galco Royal Gaurd IWB for $59.95. Seen them on Galco's website for $92.00. seemed like a good deal so I jumped on it. I'll probably save up a couple weeks and try to find a good scabboard.I always have preferred a foward cant but I can see where vertical might have some real advantages with a pistol the length of the govt. model.

·
Registered
103 Posts
with the 1911's i find that an IWB holster needs that extra piece of leather between you and the gun to prevent pinching and biting.i have to give a thumbs up to Milt Sparks holsters.the 1911 style is very popular and they often make alot of holsters for it so people don't have to wait.give them a call.

------------------
If you can't take it easy...take it sleazy.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I would go with a Fobus Holster you can get a paddle style or a belt loop style, and a double mag carrier in either style for under for under $55. The holster work well, they are light weight, and fast.

I know some will have a cow that they are not as streamlined as a Balde-Tech or Ky-Tac
, etc. Nor as stylish as quality piece of leather, but they work. It does what a holster is supposed to do, holds the pistol securely and with a cover garment, it is concealed.

Check it out www.fobusholster.ocm

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
You may want to check out Dillon Precision (the reloading guys.) Not sure if they offer IWB, but their OWB holsters are not bad for the price. For around $50-$60 you can get a few different paddle or scabbard styles.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Doc I did some research and the best buy I could find was for the IWB Talon Plus from Alessi Holsters. I read many post here about the quality of his holsters.you can order onlice from RF Holsters for $55.00. http://www.rfholsters.com/rfholsters/product.asp?dept%5Fid=10&pf%5Fid=AH%2DTP

I just placed and order for one , If they dont show it on their list ,e-mail them and I am sure they will take care of you.
By the way Mr. Alessi is a true gentleman and a great person to do bussines with,
you wont regret getting one of his holsters,
I got a box full of cheap holsters, like a lot of guys here. I can recomend also Wild Bills speed scabbard $55 http://www.wildbillsconcealment.com/
also Don hume has good prices on leather. http://www.donhume.com/

BTW the Allesi holster is for A Star PD 45
ACP, 6 round single stack with a 4' inch barrel 1911 style pistol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts