1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. Post-range visit (went on Thursday). Got my blued, Colt 1991A1 field-stripped and the rubber grips removed. That's all I know how to do with confidence.

I wiped all the oil and grime off and out of it the best that I could, then blasted everything (avoiding the grips as best I could,) with Birchwood-Casey Gun Scrubber.

Now, everything is sitting on wax paper while I await your instructions. Also, I washed the rubber grips with handsoap and warm water and dried them. I was afraid that running Gun Scrubber might have melted them, but it doesn't look that way to me. I have never removed them before, and so there was quite an oily goo underneath them from the CLP I used on the gun in the past.

I know how to re-assemble, but I want to avoid over-lubing like I did before. Normally, I'd be scared stiff leaving a gun all dried out like that (actually, I am worried right now), especially after I handled the parts with my hands, and I'd rub CLP eveywhere I had touched.

I want to do this correctly this time. So, should I wipe oil on it all over (frame, slide, exterior barrel, etc.), since the Gun Scrubber dried everything out?

Or, is this how it should be?

What about the oil in my hands as a corrosion catalyst? Is this a danger? If so, what should I do?

The pistol will sit out over night since it's past midnight, disassembled, without oil anywhere. Am I hurting anything (I'm worried about corrosion here,) by leaving it like this, especially after handling the parts by hand?

How am I doing? Am I wrecking my pistol at all? Am I promoting corrosion or hurting the finish?

Please advise...

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Calm down, unless it is really humid all is well. To help with your worries, get one of the Birchwood-Casey Silicon gun cloths. Wipe down the frame and slide with that. A little CLP on a patch wiped over the frame will not hurt, you will not over lube the pistol that way. It would be easy to clean off after you reassemble the pistol.

I have a Planters Peanuts jar on my work bench that I have a piece of cloth that has been sprayed with one of the lubes. Not enough to make it wet but enough to add lube. I wipe down my guns with that cloth all the time and return it to the jar with the lid on. Once a year or so I give the cloth another squirt of spray lube.

All is well.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited 08-19-2001).]

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Jim's right on. You have nothing to worry about, unless you left lots of fingerprints all over and it is really humid, and you will let it sit this way for several days. Reading your posts in the past, I KNOW you won't do this!

Seriously, when I detail strip my blued guns after a range session or a match, I clean all the residue and gunk and old oil, etc., and wipe the internal areas with a VERY lightly oiled rag.(just a few drops) I usually wipe the external surfaces with a clean rag until the parts are dry. If I don't plan on shooting that gun again for a few weeks, after I reassemble the gun I'll use a silicone cloth (Birchwood Casey makes them and so does Hoppes, for around $5), and just rub the slide and frame all over and I put the gun away with no oil on it. I'll keep it in a BoreStores (http://www.borestores.com/) silicon gun rug, and I've never had a problem with rust or corrossion that way.

Good luck to you, and keep shootin'!

------------------
Byron Simpson

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay men, thanks a lot. I'm going to go back to work on it right now.

I really appreciate your time and help, and apologize for being a spaz (I'm new to pistols in general and 1911's in particular).

Thanks again!

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
We were all new to guns and 1911's once (it is just that with some of us the new stuff was a long, long time ago) so don't worry about that.

Unless you have a really bad case of "acid hands", handling a unlubed pistol will not harm it.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

1 - 5 of 5 Posts