1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for a recommendation for my 1996 Canadian-made 14-45. Previous owner put in a stainless two-piece recoil rod; no markings on it so don't know the brand...has the little Allen head recoil spring plug.

I can tear this handgun down in seconds, and it takes 45 minutes to reassemble it. The part of pushing the plug down and twisting the barrel bushing to catch it is near impossible. I don't know if it's the two-piece rod, the recoil spring, or what...but it's a bear to assemble. Others have had the same problem too. To compress the recoil spring, you have to be Hercules to get it down the last quarter inch to where the bushing can catch the end. Tired of chasing after the plug when my fingers can't hold the tension anymore, slips, and the spring launches it.

I KNOW this isn't supposed to be this difficult, and others have the same problem when they "will show the idiot how to do it". My guess is the spring is too long?

New to the 1911 world here...but glad to see when others cuss like crazy and still can't get it down to where the bushing can catch it. Previous owner said he had so many problems reassembling it that he just cleaned it "from the outside". When I got it all apart, it showed. I got it cleaned up nice...but then discovered the hell that it is to get it back together.

And...the recoil spring has some rust on it...cleaned it, and the metal shows pitting. So it needs replaced anyways.

Who makes a good replacement kit that fits?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have the 2 piece guide rod separated for reassembly? Get a new 16lbs recoil spring also.
Yes, I put one section in and assemble the rest of the slide with the recoil spring in. The second half with the Allen head is actually the last thing that gets installed after the barrel bushing is rotated to hold the recoil spring.

I'll get a new Wolff 16 pound recoil spring tomorrow and give that a try.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Like boarhog I installed the one piece full length guide rod from Wilson Combat and have an assortment of Wilson Combat recoil springs. With this set up, field strip and reassembly is a snap. In fact, if I leave out the shok buf it is easy to do without even using the barrel bushing wrench. After a trip to the range even with the shok buf you can use your thumb and do it in seconds. It was because of posts like yours about the difficulty of reassembly with the 2 piece guide rod that I avoided it. Mine is para-usa 14.45 so it might not be quite the same. Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts