1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the shooting range the other day and they were selling used guns. They had BUL-M5 for $250. I'm very intrigued, but I don't know how to check if it is good. I'm concerned that it is a range gun and that means that it was probably shot a lot and rarely cleaned. Also, does BUL have parts that are interchangeable with other 1911 variants. For $250 if the parts are the same I could replace anything that needed replacement. What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Alex.

·
Registered
75 Posts
No replace

I think that you will not need replace anything, clean it properly and you will see that it is good.

I think that price is very, very good! (On our country it is very good price.)

Try directed fire, fast fire, strong hand, weak hand and detect accurace and credibility. It is my tip.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for the reply. I thought no one will reply. I'm surprised that no one has an opinion about this.

Thanks again,
Alex.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You re welcome

You re welcome, it is my experience with all gun at second hand, I bought so my BUL (Bul Custom after 5000 rounds, Glock after 400 rounds and Sig 225 after 600 rounds). Test it and you will see.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I also don't mind buying used guns, as I found out that most of them are in pretty good condition. I just don't know much about 1911's. What is the difference between Bul and Bul Custom. I was looking at one of each today and visually could not tell the difference, is it how close the tolerances are?

Thanks,
Alex.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I own a BUL M5 that I bought new about three years ago for $550 (dealer cost). It's one of the finest handguns I've ever fired, and it continues to turn heads and impress folks when they shoot it. It's easily comparable to $800 - $900 Springfields, Kimbers, etc. BUL's are about to be available in the US again through Charles Daly; check out their website (www.charlesdaly.com - look for the Daly M-5) and you'll see that they will sell new for $680.00 MSRP.

Shoot the gun at the range, and see if you don't agree that it's one of the finest 1911's available. Unless this gun has been severly abused, it's probably a great value at $250.00.

rob

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys,

I shot it and Springfield Loaded back to back. Both nice guns, but Bul fits my hand better, so I put a deposit on it. Do you guys know if most of the parts are standart 1911 parts. I'm just concerned that if something breaks I'll be hard pressed to find a replacement part.

Thanks,
For all the comments.

·
Registered
364 Posts
.40 or .45 ????? like rhino said , it is steal for $250 bucks. I have the IPSC model and they are fine guns. I bet this is the Gov't model.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Bul M5 1911 for $250?!

That's insane! Buy, buy, buy,.....:) :D
As for parts, everything will interchange with 1911, except; frame, magazine, magazine catch/release and trigger. And maybe mainspring housing assy too, but I'm not sure. Except for the magazine, this things rarely breaks, so no worry.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Re: Bul M5 1911 for $250?!

labuyo said:
That's insane! Buy, buy, buy,.....:) :D
As for parts, everything will interchange with 1911, except; frame, magazine, magazine catch/release and trigger. And maybe mainspring housing assy too, but I'm not sure. Except for the magazine, this things rarely breaks, so no worry.
Mainspring assembly of Bul gus will not interchange with the regular 1911. the grrove is further forward and it is a tad shorter compared to a traditinal 1911.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is .45 Gov't model not bul custom. Does anyone know what the difference is, visually there is none. Where do you guys get magazines and what holster is good for these? rhino thanks for the note about the mag catch. Is it easy to replace? Which Para mags should I get, the once for P45-14?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm new to 1911's. I'd like to make this my main gun, so want to know what to do to make it relaiable and accurate. Since I bought it for such a great price I have some money to make it better if need be.

Thanks,
Alex.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
akaplan,
Para P14 mags should work with the right mag catch installed, as mentioned. As for the holster, it depends what purpose you intend to use it for. For USPSA type games, I use Ky-tac, but Uncle Mike's Kydex is the best buy (<$20?), IMO.
Test it for reliability with different ammo you wish to carry, if they all work then you don't have to do anything. I prefer stock guns, no mods, for carry (for liability reasons). Accuracy is subjective, for defense use, 4" @ 25 yards is still good in my book. I'm sure you gun is way better than that, as it is. Enjoy! :)

·
Registered
877 Posts
akaplan said:
It is .45 Gov't model not bul custom. Does anyone know what the difference is, visually there is none. Where do you guys get magazines and what holster is good for these? rhino thanks for the note about the mag catch. Is it easy to replace? Which Para mags should I get, the once for P45-14?

The mag catch should be really easy to replace. I've done it a bunch of times on various guns and on all but one they just "dropped in."

If you want to use Para mags, you do want the P14.45 magazines.

If you want to use the original magazine catch, you'll have to hunt for Bul mags or Kimber mags. The latter can be found, but they tend to be more expensive than their P-O counterparts.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I use P O mags in my IPSC model. The IPSC models have ramped barrels, ambi safeties, adjustable rear sights etc. P O mags may reqire some fitting with the mentioned proper mag catch. I have to use 600 grit sand paper to take some material of the P O mags to make it fall freely right around the mag catch hole in the mag or you can modify your rescomp steel mag catch, just be careful however.

·
Registered
75 Posts
BUL M5

Hey guy, they are right, this offer is very, very good!

You can see my Bul Custom on My photos but there are not much quality photos.

Today I have Norinco 1911 (My Custom), Glock 17 (I used it in IPSC) and Sig Sauer 225 (for carry), I think that I will sell Norinco and Sig may Glock too and after them I will buy next BUL for carry. May in .45 ACP, may in 9 mm Luger...

I think that Bul and Glock, they are the best guns which I have used since my shooting start.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys,

Lots of good info. I'm thinking of getting into USPSA type of games. I'd like to use Bul for that. Would you guys recommend ambi safety for that. Do I need a special one or the one that works for other 1911's will work too? Also, as far as barrels go, are there any benefits to bull barrels vs. normal with bushing arrangement. I'm not planning on doing any modifications now, unless needed to be reliable, but down the road maybe. One of the beauties of 1911 design is that there are lots of extras to improve the gun. The rest of my guns are stock, but one of the reasons I wanted a 1911 variant is that mods are easier.

Thanks,
Alex.

·
Registered
75 Posts
BUL in USPSA

If you have left hand strong or you want start in USPSA (I think that principal is same like IPSC) you need ambi safeties pads, because some procedurs would demand engaged targets by weak hand.

At the barell - I think that bushing barell is very good and factory barell from Bul is like match barell, I had thought than I have bought my Bul that I will need BULL barell and every is only in shooter and in hands, no in gun. Better roud of gun you can get by good lab of ammo.

After several tousants rounds you will see what you need improve/tun on the good.

Good luck guy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey guys,

Me again. So, I bought the gun and waiting for the wait period to end. In the mean time I didn't receive a manual with it. Do you know of any place where I can get a manual, or if anyone can scan it, I would greatly appreciate it. I only need the part about disassembly and parts map.

Thanks for any help.
Alex.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts