1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my tritium sights are pretty much just as bright as an average 3 dot sight. I am thinking about switching to a fiber front sight and 3 dot back but am unsure how the fiber would wear as it will be going on my primary carry gun.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :rock:

·
Registered
331 Posts
great

I have an EGW fiber optic front sight on my daily carry Delta Elite and it is great! Can't remember when I put it on, but it's been a while ago. No problems to speak of. Stay away from the fiber optic front sights that use a plastic carrier, stick with steel. Get an EGW and you'll have no problems. Snakeater

·
Registered
552 Posts
Tru Glo TFO. Had them on a Glock I used to have. They were great both day or night.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
blammo said:
Tru Glo TFO. Had them on a Glock I used to have. They were great both day or night.
Same here. Just put them on a Glock 19 and really like them. Didn't think I would, but they sure are easy to see with these old eyes. ;)

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I use a Dawson .09 front on my play gun and plain black rear. Dots or anything for that matter on the rear sight are not needed IMO, and worse case, are distracting. Most of the USPSA crowd I shoot with use a similar setup. The dot is easy to keep track of. Make sure the blade is narrow enough that you get a good bit of daylight around it when looking at the sight picture. Most of the factory sights or tritium setups I see are too wide for me.

The Dawsons and Brazos fronts I've seen hold up very well and are tested every weekend in IPSC. The fiber is inexpensive and easy to replace. If you can keep the solvents away from the fiber, replacement will be a rare occurance. A dawson FO will be one of the first upgrades to my carry gun.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I have a little bit if research to see if my smith carries any of these and how available they are if not.

Any other opinions are welcome as this item has been put on my Christmas list for my wife so there is time!

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have Fiber optic sights on my Glock 19. Mine came from Novaks. I bought the plain BLACK Novak rear with a WIDE notch and a Front Fiber Optic TACTICAL style. At first I chose the Green. From looking at the pictures on his website the Green looked like it would show up better. When I got it on and started shooting with it and checking the sight picture out the green didn't show up very well. I called Novaks back and talked to them about the problem they sent me a baggie with 4 different colors to try out and see if that helped. When you look at those little 3 inch long fiber optic rods the dot those things have looks like there is a battery somewhere in them, but it's different when you cut it down to 3/4" for your sights.

I ended up putting the RED one in and it shows up a HELLUVA lot brighter than the green I used to have. Even indoors the RED one looks pretty good.

I have read LOADS of positive comments about the TruGlo TFO sights. You get the best of both worlds, Fiber Optics and Tritium. I also have heard a lot of good things about the Fiber Optic Front Sights from Dawson Precision.

Now I am thinking about getting some of those sights for my XSE Commander.

Good Luck with your choice.

Nala

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,293 Posts
I use both a Dawson and an EGW, and like both. For a carry gun, I think the Dawson would be superior, as the fiber is supported along its entire length, so is not exposed to knocks. I have no real preference for color - red, green, yellow - feeling that changing the color keeps my interest; right now, I'm using green in one and yellow in the other.

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
while admittedly a Caspian snob

I have now seen at least three of their fiber-optic fronts break (I have one on my 10-yr-old Caspian and it's been FINE).

I have a .100" Dawson on one gun that seems to be durable; I will be adding another to another gun soon (although I might go with the .125").

EGW and Brazos and Dawson get seen on many guns I see used in the USPSA game; I have never seen ever of those break.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Check out Heinie Specialty Products "Over 50" sights- a wider notch, plain black rear sight with a Dawson fiber front. I have these and they are great!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Jim. I will add those to the list! The Dawson stuff is looking like it will take the cake. :dope:

·
Registered
171 Posts
another vote for the tru-glo tfo's, I have them on my XD and couldn't be happier with them....

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
But how do you keep the cleaning solvents off the Fiber Optics ? I try my best but after all is said & done I end up replacing the FO front about every 2 or 3 times out. Is there a fix ?

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
my 'fix'

I rarely (I mean that in a Funk & Wagnalls way) use "cleaning solvents" on my guns, particularly on their front sights........

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now I have used fiber optics on my bow but never with a gun. Is it possible to take the optic out when cleaning or is it held in place by mushrooming one end?

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,293 Posts
Some are mushroomed at both ends, and some at one. I put a drop or drops of superglue on mine, regardless. If/when the fiber needs replacing, I run a drill bit through the hole to clean out any residue.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
I've used the Hi-Viz FO sights on a few of my 1911's and just added one to a Glock I have. I think they are a fairly decent value for the $20 I paid for them. I was able to drill through them (under the rod) and pin them just like the original sights that came off my Springfield 1911's, and the Glock is of the screw on variety - very easy to install with a 3/16" nutdriver.

They come with half a dozen FO rods in red, yellow/green, and white, as well as a little tool to realease the locking tab that holds the FO rod in place. If you use solvents to clean, you can just pop the FO rod out, clean, and then slide it back in.

I haven't had any problems in the year or so I've used them in IDPA and 2/3-gun competition, so I'd imagine they should hold up as well as any other FO sight in daily use.

·
Registered
123 Posts
blammo said:
i have tfo's on my g19 i liked them at first but when testing them in different light there is a point where the front sight disappears completly... to light for the trintium and to dark for the fiber optic...

i would like to replace them for some XS big dot sights... i demo'd them at the NRA show in a dark room in every type and angle of light... and there was no instance where they did not jump out at my tired old eyes...

your results may vary.....just a suggestion is all...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts