1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Ed Brown Savanna .308 Winchester rifle coming in next week and would like some advice on bullets and powder (and any other advice you find helpful).

The rifle has a light weight 24" barrel with a 1 in 10" twist, designed for hunting.

I have a Dillon RL 550B and will order the reloading dies in a week or so. My experience up to this point has been reloading numerous pistol cartridges.

I've gotten some very helpful advice on factory ammo, bullets in the 165 to 175 grain range, but also intend to load my own.

I'll be using the gun primarily for target shooting at short distances, probably 50 or 100 yards (I don't where to go to shoot it at a greater distance) and whitetail deer hunting.

I'd like to select bullets/loads that are consistent for both purposes, but a good target or hunting recommendation would also be appreciated.

Dennis D. Carter

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello. I cannot guarantee, of course, how it would do in your rifle, but in my "light walking" .308 A-Bolt, I have gotten extremely good accuracy for a rifle of that type with:

Hornady 130 gr Spire Point loaded over 51.5 gr Winchester 748 with Winchester cases and Federal match primers. It'll put 3 shots into about 6/10" @ 100 yards from a rest.

This load won't group worth a darn in my Remington 700 Varminter.

Best.

·
Registered
550 Posts
For targets and antipersonnel use, the Sierra 168 grain hollow point boat tail match bullet in front of 47-49 grains of H380 is hard to beat.

For deer, any 150 grain hunting bullet will work. Lighter bullets are generally designed for varmint hunting and may not penetrate enough even on relatively fragile deer.

The 150 grain Hornady spire point should serve your purposes well. Many powders will work. I stoke mine with 46 of BL-C(2) for a mild general purpose load.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Let your rifle tell you what it likes. Whether it is the 150 grain or the 165/168. My Remington 700 VSSF likes 150 grain Sierra's Match loaded pretty hot with RL-15. It also shoots 125 and 130 real well. The .308 will tolerate a large range of powders. Also try IMR 4895, 4064, and Varget. Keep your barrel clean, cool, and use a solid bench and bags. Good luck.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I second the sierra 168 match bullet. Try IMR 4064, a little hard to work with because of the long sticks, but shoots real good.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Note that the Sierra 168 is not for deer. It is too fragile and is likely to wound without sufficient penetration to kill.

If you like Sierra's for deer, the Game King bullets are the right choice. Most folks prefer the Hornady spire point bullets for game, though I have had the Sierra Game King (.270/130 grain) perform just fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts