1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm afraid i know the answer to this question already, but here it goes anyway...

i have a para p-16 ltd. with the adustable sights. what options do i have for night sights?

a.) leave it alone
b.) sti slide w/ a novak cut ($240) plus a slide to frame fit ($90) and a MMC adustable trit. rear ($102) and front ($44)
c.) scrap the whole plan, save the money, and buy a glock for duty carry... (lol)

by the way... anyone know the size of the front sight dovetail on a ltd?

thanks
Wyeth

·
Registered
454 Posts
Originally posted by Wyeth:
i'm afraid i know the answer to this question already, but here it goes anyway...

i have a para p-16 ltd. with the adustable sights. what options do i have for night sights?

a.) leave it alone
b.) sti slide w/ a novak cut ($240) plus a slide to frame fit ($90) and a MMC adustable trit. rear ($102) and front ($44)
c.) scrap the whole plan, save the money, and buy a glock for duty carry... (lol)

by the way... anyone know the size of the front sight dovetail on a ltd?

thanks
Wyeth
hey dude its not great but its not too
bad. i had a p14 limited and looked into
it. call novak direct they quoted me
250. to fill in in the para cut and slide
and install 3 dot combats. add 100. for
night sights i guess. thanks to paras
short sightedness. ha ha short sighted!
get it sights? ha ok i will stop.
phone 304 485 9295

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
The rear sight can be replaced with the much better Bomar, should set you back 60.00 ish

the front sight cut varies a LOT, I would recomend you have it cut for a suitable dovetail front sight, they hold the sight in with the stake not the dovetail and it is wimpy. dovetail front installed should set you back 60.00 ish.

you can send your slide via a gunsmith or check direct for night sight tubes.
you will need to decide between 2 tubes on the sides of the rear or a bar dot arrangment.

or you can opt to sell your slide and find a para std slide and start over, but that sounds expencive.
Personally I have never seen a para slide fail.
geo ><>

·
Registered
72 Posts
I considered the same thing when looking for a P*14. Instead of going limited, I bought a used with light wear, making sure to get the steel frame. $500 for the gun and about that much again in parts and labor and it will outdo any limited production gun. MMC is the best for adjustable night sights, but they require a Novak style cut. I have no idea what Para was thinking when they drafted that design spec. If someone wants a Bomar/Millet cut sight on their gun, they won't bat an eye at having a smith mill it on for them. On the other hand, practical shooters like you get stuck out. Being a consummate tweaker, I'd say go with plan b, but consider carefully before carrying it in self defense. In the unpleasant event that you may be required to use it to defend yourself, kiss your cherished hardware goodbye. It will be mangled by forensics and then put in an evidence locker to rust for months before you see it again, if ever. On second thought, take the expensive parts of plan b and c and make that plan d, you know you want to.

·
Registered
72 Posts
UPDATE!
You can find Millett tritium sights at Brownell's and use the existing cut in your slide. I don't like them as much as my MMCs, but hey, it beats a massive weld job or a new slide.
601-024-099
or
601-025-099
One of these stock numbers should be the ticket for you. Call the folks at Brownell's to be sure, they know what fits and what don't. It should run about $150 for the rear sight and $65 for the front. Not great prices but they aren't exactly a common product either.
http://www.brownells.com/Product/index.asp

I knew I had seen these somewhere and it was just going to bug the crap out of me until I dug them up. Hope this helps.
[This message has been edited by ~/|ristotle (edited 11-21-2001).]

[This message has been edited by ~/|ristotle (edited 11-21-2001).]

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
And now, the cheap way: get some of the "glow" sight paint (I think Brownells still has some) which is infused with Tritium and put it on with a toothpick. I put dots on my Para sights just for better seeing at the indoor range. It works great.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Originally posted by bountyhunter:
And now, the cheap way: get some of the "glow" sight paint (I think Brownells still has some) which is infused with Tritium and put it on with a toothpick. I put dots on my Para sights just for better seeing at the indoor range. It works great.
Tritium is radioactive and self luminous. Not likely to be made available by the vial. Regulations are pretty tight on the places that do use tritium in their sights. The paint is light activated. Which means that if not exposed to light during part of the day, it will be completely dim. Not a viable defensive choice.

[This message has been edited by ~/|ristotle (edited 11-23-2001).]

·
Registered
37 Posts
Para Ordnance 16.40 Limited front sight replacement

I am looking for a Fiber Optics front sight replacement for a Para Ordnance 16.40 Limited.

Does Hi-Viz make a replacement for this pistol?

What sights are these compatiable with?

I have contacted Para but have not heard anything back.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bob at hunter customs was able to install some sort of tritium night sights on my p14 a couple years back, maybe you could try him.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Rear sight- Use a Bomar with Tritium bar rear blade. #135-000-001 through Brownells. $98.95 retail $79.16 dealer

Front sight-Use a Heinie .200 tall front Tritium for Govt model.
#394-311-200 through Brownells. $47.20 retail, $37.76 dealer.
Requires front dovetail milled to 60 x .300" x .060".

Or

Use the Novak .190 tall front Tritium. # 662-005-190 from Brownells.
$59.95 retail, $47.96 dealer Requires front dovetail milled to
65 x .330" x .075".

As noted, the front sight dovetail will require milling to a larger size
as the factory Para LTD dovetail is quite narrow (70 x .210" x .072").
This is a good thing though as the factory Para dovetail isn't known for keeping the front sight in place very well.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Wyeth:

You might want to check with the folks at "XS" and see what they've got.

I put a set of their "Express" sights on an S&W CS45 with excellent results, but they're a little "different".

XS Sights Express

You may have to download their PDF catalog to find your gun.

It cost me $50-ish to have a local gunsmith install the set I bought (dovetails on front & rear), and he tells me that it'd be another $25+ for a staked front sight. YMMV and all that, but it might be useful info. Brownells catalogs some of their products, but only the better sellers. They try to make for an easy custom install. I wasn't able to remove the original front sight myself, and the rear sight needed a hair more fine machining than I wanted to chance, so I paid, but a DIY installation of the "dovetail" styles should be possible if you've got some experience.

I don't think they're particularly accurate v.s. ordinary blade sights, but they are quick, and if you have the time, aren't bad. The original sights on that gun were Novak-style, and not bad either.

My take on night sights: I wasn't interested - just seemed like "bragging rights" on the range, and with OH's "duty to retreat" actually shooting when it's dark enough to need them could be a prosecutor's dream.

Then I thought about it.... There are times when the target is well enough lit to see, but it's hard to see our sights. Plain white dots aren't bad, but a little bit of extra light can't hurt, and may help. In this case, I like the basic design, too. Only one issue - the rear sight has a tritium tube, in kind of a "dot the 'i'" arrangement, and the front sight has a large white plastic surround around the tritium dot. In a bit more light, the absence of a white paint or plastic "effect" around the rear tritium bar seems to be a difference in training/use when compared to being slightly darker and using the tritium.

Just IMHO. I'm trying to capture a sweet young thing at my dealer's to paint a neat little pair of bars on the rear sight, but her husband is big enough to put some gunslick on my head and use me for a pencil, and my wife knows where the guns are here. :bawling: Kevlar for all....

I tried that "bright sights" luminous paint. Didn't like it at all. But it's cheap, and the applicators, if you've got a steady hand, help. It comes off real easy, too, if you screw up. YMMV. Testors makes some nice model airplane paint that works well (couple bucks for the paint, and buy a little bottle of thinner - apply with a toothpick or needle). Harder to remove, though....

Last time I was in the store, the sweet young thing made a beeline for the door. Claimed it was lunchtime.... Hm.... :rofl:

Regards,

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Folks - you may want to look at the posted date of this thread. You are all replying to a post made on November 8, 2001.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.