1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the length. I always give too much detail, but here goes (the actual problem is described in paragraph 3):

Background:

I ordered a barrel bushing for my Para P13. I thought it was going to be a drop-in but I seem to have received one that needs fitting (alot). But, since my Dad was a tool and die maker I decided to try and fit the bushing. I also replaced the link and pin. The link seems to be the same dimensions as the factory one (including hole spacing).

The bushing was oversize in every way (even the thickness of the flange, the barrel would no longer stick out of the bushing). I have fit the OD very nicely to the slide. I have taken enough off the face of the bushing so the barrel sticks out a tiny bit (not as much as old bushing). I have the ID fit so the barrel slides through it without binding (a little scraping here and there but no binding.

Here is my problem:

When I assemble the pistol, as I ease the slide forward it stops about 3/8 inch from the end of the barrel. If I hit the slide (not too hard but firmly) it will go forward and lock up, but I hear a clank which I think is the locking lugs being forced into the grooves in the slide (slight wear marks on them confirms this). If I rack the slide and let it go, it will go all the way into battery but with the same clunk. It would seem the barrel is getting pushed up into locking position before the slide is ready for it.

I used the magic marker trick to see if the bushing was binding on the barrel. I have a spot that seems to have some drag on it, maybe even enough to hang it up but before I open up the ID in that spot I wanted to consider other possibilites.

I thought perhaps:

- the bushing is a little tight and dragging the barrel forward into lock too early. But I do not know what makes the barrel move forward in the first place.

- The face of the bushing is too wide (wider than the stock one it replaces) so the barrel is being "leveled" a little early. If it was thinner, the barrel might "hang down" a tad longer.

- The ID needs to be reamed at an angle and I have fit it flat (I am using abrasive tools, not cutting tools). This would stink cuz I don't think I can file an angle into it. Maybe. I could file out the outside of the top of the flange to get an angle up there but not on the bottom.

- Link is too long but I don't think so.

I would appreciate any thoughts. I am really close and this puppy is nice and tight. I have my .10 rearward movement before the barrel starts to drop. If I can get the binding to stop I think I will have a pretty good shooter.

Thanks, and sorry about the length.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
What brand bushing was it? If it was a WCPI Angle Bored Bushing, the relief cut is already made. Otherwise, I would suspect it is the relief cut that needs to be made. Try to push the barrel into battery with the slide off and see if it is 'springing'.

I am not a 'smith by any stretch of the imagination, so take the above as a novice suggestion only.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks K1500.

I am not sure what "springing" is although I see it mentioned alot.

I bought the bushing from Dawson Precision (where Para Ord sent me for factory replacement parts). It was called "National Match, blue" when it arrived.

I have an EGW Angled bushing coming (thanks to this forum) in case this is a lost cause.

I wondered why the hole had this huge lip at the bottom which seemed to be the only place that needed fitting. I realize now that it was probably to handle the angle cut. Thinning the flange (face) would have probably removed most of it anyhow, though. It certainly is gone now.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
How 'bout trying your old stock bushing in there and see if the problem persists. If so, it's not the bushing. And that EGW angle-bored bushing will probably do the trick anyhow...unless your barrel/link geometry is 'way off specs.
BTW, in order to check for "barrel springing", do this: Put the barrel and bushing into the slide, turn the slide upside down and move the barrel all the way to the rear until it can be pushed down and into the slide's locking lugs. If you can push it into the lugs with a satisfying "clunk" sound, and it doesn't move back up ANY when you take your thumb pressure off the barrel, then no "spring" is present. If it does sping, you can either modify your existing bushing, or wait for the WCPI from EGW.
And our next chapter will be on "how to relieve a barel bushing for spring."...if necessary.

Bob

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thought I would follow up on the result. Thanks for the replies. I thought there was a write-up on fitting a bushing somewhere on the 'net but I cannot find it.

Anyway, I talked to Dave Dawson at Dawson Precision (since they sold me the bushing). He said that I was real close and to try simply opening up the ID a little more.

The good news is I did and it worked. The bad news is it was about 11 pm, I was tired and reached for my file instead of my abrasive. Took a couple thousandth's too much off. So I improved the OD fit but not the ID fit so much.

Went out and shot her and to my delight she hit POA much better than before and actually grouped.

When the EGW bushing came I put that in (required a little fitting around the OD lug that fits in the slide groove). Wow, that puppy is tight now. Can't wait to shoot it again.

Thanks again for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts