1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make it carry friendly..so it would need the following for me.

Carry Bevel
Night sights
AMbi Safety
Short stuby beaver tail...
Maybe a new finish.. its blued NRM
Light weight (we know thats not happening)

problem is that I also have a Walther P99 40 that is totally suitable for carry and cost less.

I dont want this commander to be a safe queen so How friendly is the blueing to every day handling?

How much would the above cost to do? I think around 300.... thats a darn expensive pistol for 7 rounds of 45.

WWYD?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Why would you want an ambi safety- are you a lefty? If not, it is, IMHO, additional weight-width-safety hazard(unintended slide unlock).

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Scratch the carry bevel idea, since it would require a refinish and jack up the price, and the rest of your ideas won't be that bad.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Something I learned and have come to understand from my stint in the USMC and such is, that being able to shoot ambi is something that may save your life. I have trained that way with one armed disabled on many occasions. having the ability to unlock with either hand and even being able to slide release with one hand in a combat situation is hard but will save your life. I would really like to see an ambi slide release in tactical 1911...I am certain that somebody must have or does currently have foresite to make an AMbi slide release for tac pistols.

I shoot both hands... and have and still do train that way.

WIll a Metacol finish adghere to the Blued 1911? or would it be cheaper to get a parked 1911 and go at it form there?

·
Registered
698 Posts
I shoot both hands...
I do too, but I don't need ambi controls to do it...just long thumbs and agile index fingers! To me, ambi controls are fine in the rare instance a right handed person might need them, but the rest of the time they are a pain in the butt. I just have never found much use for them except by a true left hander.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I respect your opinion and feelings about an AMbi safety and if I had those convictions I would have it- you want to feel confident about your gun, however, consider that John Browning was a left hander and did not use an ambi safety. When I do left hand only drills I am able to unlock the slide- takes some training mind you.

Take care,

·
Registered
844 Posts
I recently had bar-dot Novak night sights and an S&A beavertail fit to one of my stainless XSE Colts by a reputable smith and the bill, including beadblasting the top of the slide ( which I asked him to do) came to $350............., so depending on who does the work, you may be a little light on your estimates.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,716 Posts
Sam Colt was a lefty, but JMB? I don't think so.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Holy cow 350? Maybe i need to get something else?

OK i'll forget about the carry bevel...I always need an extra blade to shave with...

Night sights then who makes good night sights? the fit with out slide machining...

Ambi safety
and ext slid release...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts