1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In preparation of the upcoming election, I decided to order 2 matched billet Upper and Lowers from WC. They are only $600 which if you look whats available in billet, that isn't asking too much. I already have a Recon SR in 300 and a SPR in 223. I was going to build a SBR with a 9" Seekins barrel until I handled a friends gun with that setup that had a can on it, and my Recon with WC Whisper is only a few inches longer so I scratched that idea. So what do you guys think? .458 Socom? 223 Enhanced? I reload so ammo cost is irrelevant and maximum accuracy can be achieved. I wish their large frame sets were available as I'd love to build a 6.5 creedmoor.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
6.5 Creedmoor is coming soon!

Form follows function, so what are your intended purposes?

I currently have several 5.56's, a .458 socom, a 6.5 Creedmoor, and have had 6.8 SPC and several 308's

If you want a do all, I'd get a 6.8 SPC. I regret selling mine and am planning on a build in 6.8 soon.

I am personally not a fan of SBR's, IMHO they're gimmick guns and unless your riding around Tikrit in a car, you don't need it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ahh 6.8... Great recommendation. My brother-in-law just moved outside of Houston and we plan to go on some nighttime hog hunts. The 6.8 would be perfect for that! I will look into it. I basically want a SBR because I don't have one. I agree that they are a gimmick. I don't plan on doing any door kicking in my life. At first I was just going to build an AR pistol and use the sig brace, but I now want an NFA trust so I figured a SBR would be a good place to start. The advantage the pistol has over the sbr is that I could bring it with me regardless of individual states' stances on NFA items.

I really don't have intended purposes. I have bolt guns ranging internally suppressed 22lr all the way to 50bmg. I have 223, 300aac, and 308 gassers. I just like to shoot so that's why I'm looking for ideas.

How do you like your .458 Socom? That would be a great hog gun as well.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
The 458 is a great hog gun! I used it last deer season as well. Very effective cartridge. It begins to drop like a brick beyond 125yds though.

5.56 vs .458!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440239800.253494.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440239828.621427.jpg

·
Registered
529 Posts
In preparation of the upcoming election, I decided to order 2 matched billet Upper and Lowers from WC. They are only $600 which if you look whats available in billet, that isn't asking too much. I already have a Recon SR in 300 and a SPR in 223. I was going to build a SBR with a 9" Seekins barrel until I handled a friends gun with that setup that had a can on it, and my Recon with WC Whisper is only a few inches longer so I scratched that idea. So what do you guys think? .458 Socom? 223 Enhanced? I reload so ammo cost is irrelevant and maximum accuracy can be achieved. I wish their large frame sets were available as I'd love to build a 6.5 creedmoor.
I'm buying a SaltWorks .308 kit in preparation for their large frame rifle parts. I really hope they hurry up though. Their barrel and bcg is what I mostly want.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol was there any meat left on that deer? That round is big and bad! It looks like the oal barely fits in the mag. I'm definitely building a 458! I recently had a few too many and bid crazy low on a 50cal bolt gun and ended up winning it. These 2 projects might have to wait til winter. At least I'll have the main components of the rifles in hand in case something crazy happens.

The 458 is a great hog gun! I used it last deer season as well. Very effective cartridge. It begins to drop like a brick beyond 125yds though.

5.56 vs .458!
View attachment 150885

View attachment 150886

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
The .458 is just plain fun!! If you're looking for fun, I recommend that caliber. However, if you're looking for the most versatility, I would suggest the 6.8. Seems like it can get just about any job done, without being overkill or underpowered. I don't have a 6.8, but one is on my list for that reason. I do have a Wilson .458 upper to go on my Wilson Super Sniper, and I have a blast shooting it. Love the recoil! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts