1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 16" AR's, one is my Colt M4 and one is a new Stag Model One I bought for my wife.

I also have a Socom 2 in urban camo(yeah I know....nice finish:biglaugh:, I was weak at the moment) that is a great rifle but is probably more than I need and is too heavy to use and cart around for my wife, also, in case one hasn't looked, 308 is ridiculously priced so shooting that gan for training is cost prohibitive.

Here's the meat of the question:

I haven't owned a bolt action rifle in 20+ years since I last hunted and I am looking at a Rem 700LTR with a MK4 scope for range fun and if I decide to start hunting again(really I am considering getting back in the field so to speak) it will do that duty as well. I have enough ammo to have fun with a 308 bolt.

A) Would you ditch the Socom and get a bolt?

B) You are nuts plexi, keep the Socom.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
What I'm about to say will likely mark me as an apostate among many gun owners who believe you should never sell a gun, but I have sold several over the past 20+ years, and only one sale has given me some minor regret. Mostly because I didn't fully know what I had at the time.

It's nice to keep every gun ... if you have the money. Apparently, most gun owners have far more money - or debt - than I do, because I simply can't afford to keep guns I never use. Which brings me to some considerations you might find helpful in your decision:

1. Do you need the money for the other gun, or can you own both?

2. How often do you use the SOCOM? Is it a lot, hardly ever, or never?

3. What purpose does the SOCOM serve? Fun gun? Range gun? Hunting gun? Just had to have it gun?

4. Is the SOCOM fulfilling its purpose?

5. Would the new gun satisfy the above considerations as well or better than the SOCOM?

Ultimately, only you can make the decision because it's a very personal decision. I hope the above helps in your decision-making process.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I'm about to say will likely mark me as an apostate among many gun owners who believe you should never sell a gun, but I have sold several over the past 20+ years, and only one sale has given me some minor regret. Mostly because I didn't fully know what I had at the time.

It's nice to keep every gun ... if you have the money. Apparently, most gun owners have far more money - or debt - than I do, because I simply can't afford to keep guns I never use. Which brings me to some considerations you might find helpful in your decision:

1. Do you need the money for the other gun, or can you own both?

2. How often do you use the SOCOM? Is it a lot, hardly ever, or never?

3. What purpose does the SOCOM serve? Fun gun? Range gun? Hunting gun? Just had to have it gun?

4. Is the SOCOM fulfilling its purpose?

5. Would the new gun satisfy the above considerations as well or better than the SOCOM?

Ultimately, only you can make the decision because it's a very personal decision. I hope the above helps in your decision-making process.
Thanks, very well put and thought out. It helps with other's perspectives.

1) I don't need "money" per se in that it will stay if I do nothing but I only own what I really use.....tools, fun tools.

2) Hardly ever with the price of ammo. 120 rounds in a year and a half. It's too addictive to really start pumping loads of ammo out...and REALLY expensive. I should reload but I'm too busy and have other hobbies that get that time allocated.

3)All of the above with the addition of SD....black bear being the biggest things I would note as "big critters" in the back yard. I have a shotgun that would take care of that though.

Mostly though, me yelling gets rid of them:biglaugh:

4)Yes, shoots great, has great firepower but is another 16" barrelled gun, which would make three albeit one has a bigger round.

5) Yes and no. One,it would give me greater accuracy, lighter weight and more "all around" usage but would limit sending lots of 308 down range pretty accurately.

Both fit my " guns are tools" mentality but again, I'm not Rambo here and if I can't get to safety with an AR, I am probably in big trouble and way over my head.

The longer range and hunting abilities of the bolt action may override the Socom's strengths.

I have thought about scoping the Socom but it seems redundant at 16".

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Keep the SOCOM. Put some money into reloading equipment. If you want a bolt gun... go for it. They are considerably less expensive than the SOCOM. If the Dems get a AWB through what do you think a pre-ban SOCOM will be worth? Yeah that's right, no 401K will come close to that investment return.

Check out Tikka, very sweet rifle! The only draw back to it is limited aftermarket support.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Owning 2 REM 700s in .308 i can tell you that they are invaluable to me. they will fill all the required statments above and then some. the history of the Rem .308 stands for itself. all the way back to nam you can chart how accurate they are and how well they can be used as a tool. the .308s inherant accuracy is top notch and the SOCOM is nothing to turn your nose up at. if you have a scope at present put it on the SOCOM and give it a chance. you will get used to the bulk of that little gun and it will feel right at home in the field. puting a nice fixed power 4x or 6x scope on that gun will give you great results out to 3 or 4 hundred yards. kill zone without a doubt. if you do go bolt and take the above advice of reloading you will be more than pleased with what you can come up with. and let me tell you that ther is no greater joy known to man than that of taking a load that you worked up for your gun that you have worked on and taking game with it. it is the culmanation ( lord knows that i spelt that wrong) of all that is great about our beloved pastime. let us know...
JONNY

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
Ditch a Socom??:confused: Are you quite mad?

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ditch a Socom??:confused: Are you quite mad?
Some would say that:biglaugh:

After putting the noggin to it for a bit I have decided just to keep the Socom and as suggested above, I may look into a fixed powered scope for it.

I may take the rail system off though.....just put a bipod rail on it and maybe one small section at the 3:00 position for a light. Should make it faster handling and less bulky up front.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you should definantly check out the lueopold scout scope. research the whole scout scope world if you are not up to date on it. i think you could use it well. if you can double eye open than you will be golden.
Will do!~

I'm used to Aimpoints and EOTech's with eyes open...even an ACOG so maybe this would work well.

I was hoping to be able co witness the irons but hey, I've got AR's too:biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
3,863 Posts
You already have a great carbine. If I had the choice, I'd sell it and get a good bolt gun and scope.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Hey Plexi,

What caliber LTR are you looking into?

Reason I ask, if you get one in .308, it'll cost even more to shoot using match quality ammo. If you plan to get one in .223, you can save some money by buying a good scope and mount for your AR15.

I have a Mark 4 on one of my 16" middy and it does a hell of a job reaching out there without the need to cycle the bolt.

My .223 bolt gun is definitely more precise, but I'm just helping you consider options. Heck beats selling a gun if all you have to do is buy a scope and mount. :)

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
You already have a great carbine. If I had the choice, I'd sell it and get a good bolt gun and scope.
You just can't compare the stopping power of 5.56 to 308. They are tools like anything else, I like options in my tool box, thus I have ARs, FALs and a 308 bolt gun :)

Plexi- The pic helps, I see why the SOCOM would fall from favor. Looks off balance and bulky. I don't see a reason for a bi-pod on a carbine, full size is another matter. Put your SOCOM on a diet and I bet you will like it better.

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
You just can't compare the stopping power of 5.56 to 308. They are tools like anything else, I like options in my tool box, thus I have ARs, FALs and a 308 bolt gun :)

Plexi- The pic helps, I see why the SOCOM would fall from favor. Looks off balance and bulky. I don't see a reason for a bi-pod on a carbine, full size is another matter. Put your SOCOM on a diet and I bet you will like it better.
+1 That's a battle rifle not a sniper rifle. Your call of course but it will handle much nicer without. If it were mine it'd have an Eotech on it and not much else.
Very nice rifle. I am green with envy.:bawling:

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys!

The weight doesn't bother me so much but the balance is way off even if I take all the stuff off and yes, that rail setup is just too big.

I put the vert grip and bipod on for my wife to shoot it comfortably at the range.

I think I would just assume switch it to a stock regular Socom 16 configuration OR, get a full size M1A and have the extra length. I swear the full size rifles balance so much better than this railed version.

Maybe that's a good compromise, full size, scoped M1A?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts