1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have new Hi-power Practical model.

I need a trigger job and want hienie sights installed.
No changes to the frame, no stipling, no refinishing.

I would like it done quickly. I do not expect cheap.

Any suggestions for a gunsmith that is good but not backed up two years? I would like to have the gun back in my hands in less than a month.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mr. Big,

I would give Don Williams at The Action Works a call (he did similar mods on my BHP quite nicely) www.theactionworks.com. I don't know what his current backlog is, but a phone call or email to him will clarify that. My second choice would be Ted Yost. Other good people are available, and I'm sure others will contribute here later. Good luck, sir.

Sincerely,

Michael

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
I second Don Williams. he is one of the top Hi power smiths in the country and Has my Charles Daley as we speak:D

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Jim Garthwaite does not have much of a wait right now. He is doing a Delta Elite for me that he quoted 3 months for. It is my first project with him but I hear from other smiths that he is very good about getting done when he says he will.

I'd give him a call. His prices are very fair and his reputation is fantastic.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Try www.tenring.com
I picked up three different Hi-Powers for new hammer & sear replacement and trigger work and other minor work from Alex Hamilton in less than 3 weeks!
And the work is great!
(Hi-Power Trigers can be made to break reliably at 3 to 3.5lbs)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Jim Garthwaie did all of the work on my Browning including the Heine sights. He does excellent work and has a quick turnaround time. I have attached a pic of the rear of slide with Heine, sorry it is not a picture.

Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
GpComp said:
Try www.tenring.com;
I picked up three different Hi-Powers for new hammer & sear replacement and trigger work and other minor work from Alex Hamilton in less than 3 weeks!
And the work is great!
You have to remove the semi colon at the end of the address for it to work.

Ed

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
Don Williams did trigger jobs on my two Browning HighPowers: a silver chromed 40 and blued steel 40. They now have nice, smooth triggers which break at around 5#, which is pretty good for a HighPower. Not as nice as a 1911 can be, though excellent for a HP.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks "NickStone";
I changed it.
Also, there is reference to "Ten Ring Precision" by a few other Hi-Power owners on the FN Hi-Power site and pictures too if you do a search.

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
Is Alex Hamilton a gun magazine writer/editor? The same guy that bashes Colts? That name just rings a bell for some reason.

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
He's really pissed off Colt lovers for some rediculous comments he's made in the magazine, bashing Colts. He'll never see a gun of mine, that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
DHart, I was refered to Alex Hamilton, a past president of the Pistolsmith's Guild, by Hamilton Bowen in regard to a repair. Hamilton Bowen's words were: "If Alex can't fix it no one can!" I have enjoyed dealing with Alex over the years and I have received sage advice from him. I can honestly say Alex Hamilton is one of the few men I have liked from the get go! Regards, Richard :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
"Colt" Gold Cup Commander

DHart,

Yeah, while I was there this past weekend at his shop, another customer did ask him if he was still down on Colt (his opinion of Colt 1911's, I was gathering - since I personally have not read the specific articles), and I think he said, "Until Colt proves otherwise", I think that was still the case.

Of course, I was there to pick up my Colt SS Gold Cup Commander that was not working as well as I think it sould have; now it should (I'll test it this weekend), since he's done great work on most of my Hi-Powers and have never had reason to doubt his work; it always gets fixed.

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
GPComp... if he's a competent smith, your Gold Cup should be just great! Best wishes for you on that.

I resent his blanket slam of Colt products in a national magazine and I disagree with his views on Colt, therefore I personally would choose another 'smith for my work. Not a reflection of his work, however, which I know nothing about.

·
Registered
19 Posts
TBS,
Is this guy still around ?
It's been awhile, but a few folks on the FN-Hi-Power site were trying to track him down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
GpComp said:
TBS,
Is this guy still around ?
It's been awhile, but a few folks on the FN-Hi-Power site were trying to track him down.
Thats a very good question-------------- he reworked my high power about 2 years ago, but his website is still up and running as I checked it this morning. He does real nice work on the HP's and used to work for Novak.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Don Williams or Ted Yost, IMO.

I've been thinking about it recently and, although there are other good guys out there, I'm gonna go ahead and send all of my future work to these guys since they are not only good gunsmiths but also seem to be decent guys. In addition, and this is a BIG thing, both of them add their experiences and knowledge to this and other forums and for that I'm grateful. Both have also been helpful to me on a personal level with questions that I've had that they didn't have to answer or take much time or effort in doing so.

It's just like trying to buy "Made in America" stuff...use the guys who participate in the forums.

Yeah, yeah, I know...not necessarily the best of policies but I guarantee that you won't go wrong using either of them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts