1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is David, again, and I am wanting to know if my plans for my 1911 have any serious wrinkles. I know most of it is what I like best, but if you know of something that just wont work or doesnt sound right, please let me know. I am planning on having this pistol for a long time and it will mainly be a defense/plinking gun until I have money to buy pistols to fill each roll seperately. Anyways, this is what I have:
SA Mil-Spec,
Hogue wrap-around finger-groove rubber grips,
WC Shok-Buff kit (full-length guide rod, recoil buffer, extra power firing pin return spring, and 18# recoil spring),
WC extended ambi safety,
and a trigger job utilizing all original trigger components.

This is what I want to get/plan on getting:
WC Snag-Free 3-dot sights (front sight dovetail will have to be machined, but it will be worth it b/c I hate the cheesy tenon system currently used),
WC extended ejector (thinking about EGW equivilant, whats better?),
WC heavy duty extractor,
WC match grade 5" barrel and bushing (not the drop-in, the one that has to be fitted),
WC extended mag release,
and WC extended slide stop.

As far as custom gunsmithing:
I want a flat, strippled "rib" along the top of the slide to reduce glare within the sight picture and to give my eye something to follow to the front sight to reduce the time it takes to aling the sights,
and a matte grey Robar finish on the frame w/ matte black slide and accessories (like the safety, slide stop, mag release, etc).

Sorry for such a long post, but I would appreciate any help on whether or not this will make for a good setup. What do you think?

·
Registered
713 Posts
1911 project

rborensr,
...no disrespect intended, but why not look at a Wilson Combat CQB ...it has a fine frame and slide...with all the parts you listed...it has a warrantee and if something is not right out of the box they will fix it. You can get the SS classic version and get it NP3'd later. I only suggest this because if you have not put a 1911 together it would be a shame to spend all your time trying to work out "bugs"...or ...you can take a pistolsmithing course and assemble a 1911 with supervision and save yourself a lot of aggravation, esp. if the milspec frame is at the far end of the range of "standard specs" and half of the parts have to be "hand fitted" to the gun for it to function smoothly. There are other 1911's you can look at as well...Nowlin, Wesson , Valtro, Colt 70 series, etc. that are 1/3 to 1/2 less money than the Wilson....just something for you to think about before you jump in...
Sincerely-Barry

·
Registered
21,767 Posts
Delete the extended slide stop, those things are frequent sources of trouble such as premature slide stop engagement.

Matted ribs are pretty expensive and I have never seen the need for one on a pistol.

Do you need accuracy greater than what the stock barrel, maybe with a fitted bushing, can give? If so, be sure the barrel has a standard chamber, these "tight match chambers" are a snare and a delusion, frequently unreliable in operation to save a quarter inch on a machine rest group. I had one, and of that brand. My FLG runs a sharp new reamer into all barrels after seeing how much metal came out of mine when we finally figured out the problem.

Most of the rest of your shopping list is at least reasonable. But it won't be cheap.

The real key is somebody skilled and conscientious to do the work.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, Im sorry if I gave the impression I was planning on doing the work. No, my FLG is very good with 1911's and he will be doing all the required gunsmithing/fitting.
BJG, I would love to get the pistol directly from WC, but I dont have that kind of money. I bought the Mil-Spec knowing I could upgrade it as I got money... $30 here, $50 there, and eventually finish it.
Jim, thanx for the heads-up on the extended slide stop and the barrel. My barrel is more accurate than I can shoot, so I guess that would be a waste of money.
The flattening and strippling of the top of the slide costs $85 from Robar. Or it is included in a package that includes the installation of fixed high-vis sights (dovetail front sight :) ), the strippled rib, and refinishing the slide in matte black for $170. Thanx for the feedback.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Just a thought but since you seem to think it is worth dumping a lot of money into your current springfiled why not just buy another Springfield and just make it the loaded model and check the gun out before you buy it check slide to frame fit and see if the barrel has a lot of play in it.. And always remember they make millions of them so pass on it if it is a loose gun and has play. you will find a nice one another day or at the next shop down the road..

It always makes me kinda laugh a little when I see somebody ask to see a pistol in the case and you know they have to name it and say Ohhh no not that one the one with the something or nother _______ (fill in the blank) and then they take and point it out infront of them like they are going to shoot it and then right before they say I'll take it they have always got ask Uhhh does it come with two magazines :rofl: ......

Now onto how I do the inspection before I drop some serious dough on a new pistol... They hand it to me I check for ammo (never too sure) then I grab the slide and twist it to see if there is any play then I try and move it any way I can besides racking it.... Then I semi rack the slide and put my trigger finger in the port and see how snug the barrel is.... Then I release the slide and rack the slide really slow to feel anything thats going on inside Barrel lugs and all .... then I try the trigger after all said and done I've spent 2 minutes examining a pistol and the expert behind the counter has some sort of funky look going on and then I eather take the gun or ask for another one they might have in the back and if I'm so willing I might even take the sucker apart I'd hate to get home and seem to be missing the hammer or something :biglaugh:

·
Registered
87 Posts
rborensr,

No disrespect intended, it sounds like you are relatively new to the 1911 world. This forum is a great place to start, but the amount of information here available can sometimes be overwhelming.

Regarding your question, you seem to have a good idea as to what features you'd like on your pistol. A great place to start as far as selecting premium quality parts is Hilton Yam's articles. He truly has his finger on the pulse on the 1911 industry, and was trained by literally the best.

I trust my life to a duty pistol he built for me.

Good luck!

http://www.signaturegrade.com/articles.html

Tim

PS. Regarding your desire for a serrated flat top slide, I have that on one of my customs. Certainly, it is unnecessary, but it looks great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts