1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a frustrating dear season this year (don't ask!) I have decided to get another gun this summer for next year. I am thinking about a .444 marlin because where I hunt is thick in places but it has some good 100-150 yard open areas. So I was wondering what kind of affective range I could get out of a .444?

Oh, I forgot to mention (if it makes a difference?) that I am planning on scoping it with see threw mounts.
Wasn't sure if this should go in this section or the long arms so sorry if it is in the wrong section.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
It depends on what you feed it and how you sight it (the range you zero at) but I would certainly think it will handle 150 yard shots just fine.

You might look into the new Hornady "leverevolution" ammo with soft tipped (soft as in rubber) pointed bullets which have higher ballistic coeficients than regular bullets intended for use in tubular mags.

Seems like Shooting Times just ran an article on them but I have already passed that magazine along so I cannot quote the trajectory or even the preferred zero range.

Good luck!!!
Jim

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
steveno said:
it also depends on how much you practice? as in most situations it is the ability of the shooter that determines the range of the shot to be made
Truer words were never spoken!:)

When I was a lad I remember reading in an Outdoor Life of an informal test done by some game wardens. They said that the longest range that the average deer hunter could *reliably* hit a paper plate was 18 yards!!!!! Nope, I did not leave off a 0.:scratch: IIRC, and it was a long long time ago, this was a group of Colorado game wardens. I thought all Westerners in the late 50's could shoot????

Jim

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, thanks guys, I was not worried about how far I could shoot it really,my accuracy has not been a problem, but how affective the bullet would be at 100-150 range.I did bag two this year so far but it was the tracking distance that displeased me the most.I had not considered the 45-70 actually, which is an idea.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The Triple Four is an awesome round and fully capable of 200 yard shots. The better loads will use the 265 grain bullets as the 240's tend to be quite fragile and ruin more sweet venison than necessary.

Now here's the thing. I grew up reading Elmer Keith and have stock in the "big bore - big bullet" market, toting big bore cartridges for many years. Heavy for caliber bullets at moderate velocities are the ticket for thick game at mid ranges. However, deer aren't "thick game." I've used some big boomers such as the .444 Marlin, .45-70 Gov't with souped up handloads, .12 gauge slugs, ect... for deer hunting. With normal behind the shoulder heart/lung shots I think they actually drop deer less quickly than higher velocity cartridges such as the .270 or .30-06. A couple of the best DRT (dead right there) combos I've ever experienced is the 140 grain .270 and the 165 grain .30-06. The 150 grain .308 is right in there too. I've used the .30-30 and .243 some with no real complaints. The 7x57 with 140 grain bullets and 6.5x55 with 125 grain Nosler's work like turning a switch on deer. You didn't mention what cartridge and bullet combo you were dissatisfied with, perhaps it's bullet choice and not the actual caliber that's the culprit?

One more observation if you'll allow. The see through mounts are an abomination on a rifle. They mount the scope so high that getting a solid and consistent cheek weld on the stock is nearly impossible. Especially if the rifle is stocked for iron sights such as the Marlin lever actions. If I were to scope a Marlin lever gun then I'd choose a good quality low power fixed such as a 2 3/4X or 3X scope, or nice low variable in the 1 3/4x5 range. Mount that as low as possible with low scope rings/bases and you'll have a much more natural pointing, quicker handling rifle. My couple of pennies... :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay now GLC, don't laugh, but i was using a sks.......I said don't laugh!Lol just kidding, but yeah I was using an sks which is all i had at the time I posted this, after I posted this I went and borrowed my uncle's .308 m1-a1.The outcome was much better, traveled about 20 yards before it was down.And I see your point on the see-thru mounts as a matter of fact my cousin and i were shooting muzzleloaders yesterday and the one he had did in fact have the see-thru mounts and was difficult to get a solid cheek weld on the stock, I actually had to lift my head a little.Thanks everybody for the responce and opinions, I am still undecided and am going to do some more homework/research before I decide. I have till spring to make up my mind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.