1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem: My 1911, like all others, has a tube on the left side of the gun, just below the slide and above the grip. The tube holds a spring with a pin at each end, one to fit against the manual safety and one to fit against the slide release

Last night, I noticed I could not remove the saftey off. A careful inspection showed the pin had came out and was outside of the safety lever.

This morning I broke it down and found the tube has came loose from the frame on the safety end by a fraction of an inch. I took a small hammer and tapped it back flush with the frame and all was well until I worked the saftey a coupel times and it worked it's way loose again.

So my need of information is the following:

1. Can I lift the tube off and clean underneath and then replace it without getting into some technical stuff I do not want to mess with?

2. Once that is done, and i go to replace the tube, can I put some Gorilla glue or other adhesive on the side so the tube would hold and not come loose causing an issue that scares me to no end. Fortunately I noticed the issue last night as I was about to head to bed. I last fired the gun in time of need Sunday was two weeks ago and have not fired it since.

3. Is there a better way of solving the issue?

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
11,555 Posts
The plunger tube needs to be replaced. You can try to restake the rivets (legs that go through the frame), but that seldom lasts. Fortunately they are inexpensive. The staking tool can be purchased/rented/borrowed. The holes on the inside of the frame were probably not flared to allow proper staking. Do that with a small burr on a Dremel. Gorilla glue is not appropriate for use on a gun. Loctite is the correct adhesive for that job.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Yes you want to get that fixed. There is likely no need to replace the plunger tube, it has just come lose, common. Take it to a gun smith and it is a simple job to re- stake the pin. There is a special little tool for this. Your gun smith can determine if a new plunger tune is needed but likely not. Sounds like the rear pin has worked lose.

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
Trust me - restaking a loose tube never lasts long because the reason it came loose in the first place is still there. It will simply come off again. The only fix is a new tube with legs that are long enough and counterbeveled holes so the legs can mushroom out like a rivet when staked. It amazes me that so many 1911 manufacturers can't grasp a simple concept like a rivet. It ain't rocket science. It's the same reason that a staked front sight comes loose. It wasn't installed correctly.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Your best bet is to replace the plunger tube.. if you restake the old one it ill just come loose again.. Depending on the manufacturer this may be a warranty Issue..

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
If you're going to be a 1911 "guy" a staking tool for the plunger tube is a good thing to have on hand. When done correctly with high quality parts it's highly unlikely it'll ever come off again.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My deepest thanks to you guys and I am calling S&W. Most likely, I will send it back for repairs but I am also ordering one of those staking tools.

The gun has fired more than 50K rounds and might need some other issues tended to.

Thanks again

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
My deepest thanks to you guys and I am calling S&W. Most likely, I will send it back for repairs but I am also ordering one of those staking tools.

The gun has fired more than 50K rounds and might need some other issues tended to.

Thanks again

Sounds like that 1911 could stand a good "once over" after firing 50K rounds. It never hurts to be safe!!

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I spoke with S&W this afternoon. They are paying the FedEX charges round trip for 2 day shipment. They said there would not be any charges for the repairs and because it is my EDC duty gun, they will expedite the repairs and figured 7-10 days from me to them to me.

I told them that it has been shot often and many rounds have gone through the barrel. The tech said they will bring it up to new standards.

Until then, one of the guns in the safe will be used. It will be a S&W model 66 that I was issued back in the late 60's and carried daily for about two years.

Is .357 mag ammo still being made? <g>

·
Registered
452 Posts
I spoke with S&W this afternoon. They are paying the FedEX charges round trip for 2 day shipment. They said there would not be any charges for the repairs and because it is my EDC duty gun, they will expedite the repairs and figured 7-10 days from me to them to me.

I told them that it has been shot often and many rounds have gone through the barrel. The tech said they will bring it up to new standards.

First, let me say that I don't own any Smith and Wesson products......OK, shame on me... But I am TOTALLY impressed with their response to your plunger tube problem!! What a quality company and I must say 1st class customer support.

I'm curious..... How long have you owned that 1911 and did you buy it new?
I may have to consider making my next 1911 a Smith and Wesson.... Can someone suggest a Great S/W government 1911? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
Personally I would just use that Model 66 as my main gun. They'll never make any like that again and it will give you a level of reliability that you won't get from any 1911. And yes, I am an old fart.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

First, let me say that I don't own any Smith and Wesson products......OK, shame on me... But I am TOTALLY impressed with their response to your plunger tube problem!! What a quality company and I must say 1st class customer support.

I'm curious..... How long have you owned that 1911 and did you buy it new?
I may have to consider making my next 1911 a Smith and Wesson.... Can someone suggest a Great S/W government 1911? Any suggestions?
I bought it seven years ago and have carried it daily in all types of weather. I have several S&W guns, some custom, most routine production and all very well built and dependable.

Also, out of those that have shot this particular 1911, over half (four out of seven) of them ordered one for their self. It shoots fantastic.

I would be carrying one of my other 1911 guns but I trust the model 66 most.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Personally I would just use that Model 66 as my main gun. They'll never make any like that again and it will give you a level of reliability that you won't get from any 1911. And yes, I am an old fart.
I would agree and disagree. The Model 66 was and still is a great gun as is the 686. They are truly dependable in the strictest sense.

However, my experience with the 1911 platform goes back to a child growing up shooting the one my father carried in WWII and then my work with them in the US Army in 1966-68, as well as my reading of the battles one with the 1911 such as in the story of Sgt Alvin York. I do not see anyone doing such as has been done with a 1911 using a Model 66.

Did you know that the President in giving the MoH to York praised the 1911?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well,,,,,,,,,,, I mailed it back to S&W by way of Fed Ex this morning at 9:40am. It was sent second day delivery.

Now lets see how long it takes to get it back.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, I mailed it on on 8/23 and it got there on 8/27. I was notified on 8/28 that it was placed in work order and given a reference number and phone number to check on the status.

They notified me yesterday afternoon that it was completed and would be shipped today and I would receive it at my residence on 9/9. They replaced some well worn items as well as replacing the plunger tube, plunger and spring. ALso they replaced very well worn ambi safety levers.

Shipping both ways, replacing worn parts, test firing and then cleaning.

Total charge to ne. $0.00

I am a happy shooter and my kudos to S&W for their warranty, prompt service.

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
I hope they installed the replacement tube correctly because they sure didn't do a proper job on the original one. I have staked plunger tubes and front sights for quite a few years and if done properly - they will never come off.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I hope they installed the replacement tube correctly because they sure didn't do a proper job on the original one. I have staked plunger tubes and front sights for quite a few years and if done properly - they will never come off.
You say never but have you gone back and verified this on weapons for EDC that have 50K rounds through them? I'm not being confrontational, I'm just asking if you have verified that your statement is true in the conditions stated by the OP.

·
Registered
779 Posts
OK, I mailed it on on 8/23 and it got there on 8/27. I was notified on 8/28 that it was placed in work order and given a reference number and phone number to check on the status.

They notified me yesterday afternoon that it was completed and would be shipped today and I would receive it at my residence on 9/9. They replaced some well worn items as well as replacing the plunger tube, plunger and spring. ALso they replaced very well worn ambi safety levers.

Shipping both ways, replacing worn parts, test firing and then cleaning.

Total charge to ne. $0.00

I am a happy shooter and my kudos to S&W for their warranty, prompt service.
A story like that is how a company keeps customers and acquires new customers. I will be doing business with S&W. Kudo's for carrying an old dinosaur design as a duty weapon.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts