1911Forum banner

Need Your Help: My First SA 1911?

644 23
I'm just getting into 1911s, more for collecting than shooting.

I'm in California, so the variety is limited to due the silly roster law.

However, the Springfield Armory 1911 loaded stainless steel 7+1, #PX9151LCAIGU is occasionally in stock.

My LGS got one in last week and wants $1,149 for a new one. I looked at it in person and I like it. The price is higher than big box stores (which haven't had them in stock for at least a year), but gas and bridge tolls to get there, if they had one, negates any savings in the 1911's price.

What do you think about the collectibility (I'm open to other brands/models) and how well it is likely to maintain value or appreciate, left unfired with original box and paperwork?

Supposedly, the US is going to go into a recession. I haven't been in the gun market during a recession. Is it likely that new 1911 prices will fall and that used 1911s will enter into LGSs due to sellers needing money?

Thanks
Reactions: Michael W Cuber
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Honestly, current production pistols, and relatively newer ones overall, are not really "collectible" from a true rarity, supply/demand perspective. They can just make more! No reflection on the quality, reliability, shootability of the pistol, etc. But, real collectors, and I am one of them, want older military firearms, or commercial ones, that were well made, no longer produced and can be shot and enjoyed, unless the condition dictates to keep it as a safe queen. These are the real collectibles that just keep shooting up in price and value.

So, the depth of ypur pocketbook is what determines what you can and want to collect.

There are many forums and categories in these gun forums that deal with collectible firearms. I love my Colts (1911s, Pythons, Diamondbacks, Detective Specials and, yes, I have one old and rare Single Action Army), Krag-Jorgensen rifles and carbines and Marlin Lever actions. People collect Carcanos, Mosin Nagants, Garands, M1 Carbines, 03A3s, etc. Pick yer poison and start researching, asking questions, looking at auctions, local gun stores, gun shows, etc. You'll be hooked! Learn to reload, clean, fix and shoot your firearms and you'll be right up there with the rest of us!

Keep us informed! Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, whig.

Newbie question: I went to Springfield Armory's website to compare the California-compliant TRP with the model I referenced in my OP. The only difference I found was that the TRP has tritium sights. Are there other advantages to the TRP?

·
Registered
Springfield Armory Addict
264 Posts
You won’t generally lose money , but it is a good starting point for a collection. I had a loaded years ago and wish I didn’t sell it. As for increasing in value , it’s a crap shoot.
Black Wood Material property Font Camouflage

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks, whig.

Newbie question: I went to Springfield Armory's website to compare the California-compliant TRP with the model I referenced in my OP. The only difference I found was that the TRP has tritium sights. Are there other advantages to the TRP?
My loaded model has Trijicon night sights, model PX9109LP. I believe the price was $879 a few years back but I don't live in a cesspool state either.

Bill

·
Registered
744 Posts
I've one SA 1911, the Ronin and it is a fantastic pistol for the money (it stickered at $799 about a year ago on GB). It won't be my last either. The fit and finish is darn good and the function is very nice. From day one it has gobbled up any ammo I've put in it. Accurate as heck too.
You simply can't go wrong with a SA 1911. Full stop.

·
Registered
Kimber SIS 5"; Guncrafter Industries railed 5"; Doublestar railed 5", Springfield Professional
670 Posts
Having planned on just the one Springfield Armory 1911 (among other 1911 brands, however) I went with a Springfield Armory Professional model, some of which are on the roster, the last time I looked.

If spending less, I would have then looked into the TRP model line.

To get into more detail with exactly which model will depend on the features the buyer desires.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks, theraptur.

Newbie question: how do I check the frame to slide fit?
Here’s how I check. Others will be along to probably give better input.

With the slide forward, I’ll grasp the front of the slide and twist side to side. A little play between the slide and frame is fine. Then, I’ll twist the rear of the slide. A little play between slide and frame is fine. Then I’ll verify that the slide is not contacting or scrubbing the dust cover. And lastly, I’ll press down on the barrel hood to make sure there’s no play. You don’t want plant there.

Thats how I look at fitment with the slide, frame, and barrel when examining in the store

1 - 20 of 24 Posts