1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been carrying and shooting handguns for almost 40 years...never an ND...til tonight.

Had been at range with my S&W Model 10 nightstand gun. After 24 rounds of factory Winchester Silvertips. it got sluggish in rotating. Then the cylinder froze/ Could not even cock single action. Opened and emptied cylinder. Cleaned chambers. Fired 12 more rounds. The same frozen action. Rounds seated properly!

Went home. Put CA Bulldog .44spl with CT grip in nightstand while I clean and look at Smith.
Got busy. Never looked at Smith.
In bedroom. Saw the Bulldog in drawer and thought since that gun had had a similar problem before going back to factory, I would try a rotation check twice around. Ok, ok, ok, ok, ok ,ok ok
BAM! So...after doing rotation checks thousands of times with revolvers, my finger slipped off the hammer and my finger was off the trigger just too late.

Makes you anxious. Bullet (165 grain Hornady) went through width of two pillows (maybe 36" of stuffing) and through the sheetrock. Nervously went outside to look. Relieved to find it did not penetrate the outer wall of plywood and siding.

At least this fool had the muzzle pointed in a "safe direction."

Have read an ND will happen someday if you handle firearms enough. Because you get (I got) complacent. Worked the action too fast.

I do feel ashamed. I post this as a reminder to others.

Oh-it is really true that low pressure rounds have a smaller sound signature. It was loud but not painful to my ears. I guess the .44spl and .45 Colt are well suited to HD....

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I've done some dumb things and it usually is a result of having a problem with the gun and I'm stressing out and not thinking clearly. Sounds like you did the same.

Recently, I had some perceived concern about something about the way the slide on one of my 1911s was cycling by hand, so to confirm my concern (and I don't even remember the concern, now) I figured I'd try another one, so I grabbed another one and started cycling the slide back and forth until I realized that 2 rounds had hit the floor. I completely forgot that the mag was loaded. Could have been bad.
Lesson learned.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Thank you for sharing. This is an important lesson for all of us.

I do hope the Condition 2, 1911 guys are paying attention, though.
BAM! So...after doing rotation checks thousands of times with revolvers, my finger slipped off the hammer and my finger was off the trigger just too late.

·
Banned
7,779 Posts
Hey it's not as bad as my dad setting off a supersonic rifle round indoors, whole freaking house shook and I felt it three floors up. Went downstairs to him holding the AUG with a "oh no" look on his face and a picture frame and wall nuked by a A-max.

Told him a million times a AUG doesn't have the same manual of arms or mechanical an AR and that you should never cycle a gun for dry fire with a loaded mag partially in the magwell even if the AR lets it happen.....

Guns are actually quite quiet indoors for what they are, rifles I found are better than handguns weirdly enough in some cases

·
Registered
330 Posts
My numbers yet to come up but I felt it when working a CZ 75, lowering a hammer on a live round. I just didnt like doing that so i ended up selling it instead. Glad it all worked out well and seriously thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Thanks for reminding us to tripple check firearms to see if they are loaded before we do anything with them.

·
Administrator
72,996 Posts
A lot of gun owners tend to get into the habit of checking the chamber without actually CHECKING the chamber, if you know what I mean. It becomes a force of habit and you end up just going through the motions without actually using your Mark I eyeball to make sure it is indeed clear. Massad Ayoob has called it "the look that doesn't see". I know it doesn't apply in the OP's case because he was using a revolver, but I'm just throwing it out there anyway because it's a common occurrence.

Many years ago, in US occupied Japan my dad was hanging out in a Japanese cemetery late at night with some fellow USAAF buddies when they were supposed to be somewhere else. One of them was playing with his M1 Carbine when it suddenly went off, scaring the bejeezus out of everyone and making them run out of the cemetery before the MP's showed up. After awhile, when the coast was clear one of them thought maybe they needed to go back and see where that bullet might have gone, since there were some houses nearby. So back in they went, searching the cemetery with flashlights when one of them spotted a pockmark in one of the granite tombstones. It turns out it was the same one my dad had been leaning against moments earlier, and the bullet had missed his head by just inches.

Anyway Oldguy9, thanks for having the guts to share it with us and glad that the only casualties were two pillows, two pillow cases, a wall and a previously clean pair of undershorts.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Not a criticism, but I do have a question. Why didn't you unload before going through the motions? Is there a specific reason or did you just not think of it?

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
Thanks for sharing, glad no one was injured only embarrassed!

As an instructor I learn and practice the manual of arms for each of the variety of firearms I train to. It keeps me on my toes for sure. But I practice and train to announce "Unloaded firearm" as firearms are unloaded and empty chambers are verified. If someone else is in the vicinity they are asked to also check the chamber and announce "empty firearm". This doesn't guarantee a safe firearm because of the human element but it helps!

Because we tend to use the same firearms most frequently we fall into a routine. When our routine is changed or interrupted is when most accidents occur.

Smiles,

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
I real happy to hear no one was harmed.

I'm extremely glad this has not yet happened to me.

I'm also thankful that people are willing to share these incidents with others here so it will serve as a reminder so it may never happen to some one else.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Yes thanks for sharing. These are learning tools for all of us. I have never had a ND but am wise enough to know it can happen. Ahhh the human element.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Been there, done that. You'll get some grief from the membership, but thanks for posting.
Not half as much grief as from one's spouse.

A few years ago, I had a Sig P938 that developed a case of hammer follow. It never had a ND, but it got me thinking about loading mags, releasing slides, and having a ND. I filled a 5 gallon plastic bucket with packed sand, put a target on the lid, and placed it in the garage beside the door to the house. Every time I chamber a round in a gun at home, the muzzle is pointed straight down at that target. No holes in the lid... yet.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
A few months ago my son (step son but I don't like that term and only mentioning it because if he was my blood child I would have beat him senseless) was going out back to shoot his shotgun. Why he chambered a round in the house I don't know but while walking across the living room he tripped on the vacume cord and again don't know why he had his finger in the trigger guard but blew a 12ga slug into the floor.

Luckily the house is only a single story but after going thru the floor he hit a water line going to that end of the house. The plumber said it was a perfect shot. Nailed it dead center and in 40 years has never fixed a leak due to a gun shot.

He no longer has the shotgun.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Glad you’re ok and didn’t get hurt other than your pride. Always a good thing to remember the rules of handling a firearm and always check to make sure it’s unloaded before disassembly or function checking. Then check again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yep, had mine a few years ago while training with some friends, all Vets & LEOs.

After cycling through a drill I attempted to manually decock on a hot pipe. Uhuh, the hammer slipped through my grip, the gun went BANG and my buds went OHHH!

Because we always practiced range safety, the muzzle was down range and the only casualty was my pride. We made it a learning experience for the newer folks there so it so we made it a positive event.

I now carry a pistol with a decocker and when I run one without the weapon gets cleared first thing.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts