1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday. i bought one. mnfctrd in 2001--at least that's when the promo papers in the box were dated. one owner before me, a lawyer . ultra carry II. loved shooting it. used to DAO's. lawyer had carried it, and some finish(holster) wear. no probs when i tried it out. i had never shot a .45 before, but seemed to hit the center small target several times at 15 yds. i know i must get very familiar with a gun like the 1911.
will carry concealed--this is my first CC gun.
have i bit off more than i should chew, or is it the opinion(s) of this board i am embarking on my journey with the right gun?? i am used to my husband's CZ 5 and Glock 17. we are not gun collectors.
reading some of the threads on this (new to me) site, i am wondering if i bought the "right" gun for a first time CC weapon. i AM a pretty good "crack" shot--always have been.
just want to hear any thoughts out there. i am new to this.looking back on yesterday ,in light of the threads here, the salesman seemed to be gently pointing me toward a Pro Carry II.but he felt the Ultra was in 95-98% condition.
any tho'ts appreciated--and happy holidays. many things to learn on this board.
wife of CC I...

·
Registered
483 Posts
Many of use choose single action 1911 style guns due to the nice trigger pull and the ergonomics. That is to say, we find the 1911 style easy to shoot accurately and quickly. It is the gun that dominates competitions and has served well for combat.

Like any gun for defense, you must make sure your model is reliable. Go shoot the gun......a lot. Dry fire and get to know its feel and safety functions until they are natural to you. This is necessary for any CCW gun, not just a 1911. I, personally, find the extra saftey (grip safety and thumb safety and half cock notch) of the 1911 to be comforting while carrying "cocked and locked". Carrying a Glock with one in the hole makes me much more uneasy (maybe not justified, but it does)

Know your gun and obey the safe laws of gun handling and you have no way bit off more than you can chew. With practice, you will likely shoot this gun better than you shoot other styles. When I switched from Double action CCW to single action, my groups shrank by half.

I usually carry a full size Eclipse, but would choose a 4" CDP or Pro carry as optimum.

My $.02.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Good choice...

I carry the Ultra Carry II every day and have nothing but good things to say about it. It has been 100% reliable and very accurate for its size. I have over 3,000 rounds in it and love it. I would recommend the Wilson Combat mags and the Federal Hydra-Shok 165gr. Many people don't believe the 230gr should be used for barrels under 4" long because of lack of expansion reasons.
Good luck and enjoy! Just be careful of the Kimber bug! It's hard to have just one!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I carry a Glock (19, or 26 generally) and feel perfectly safe with it. My apprehensions have aways been with the 1911. I'm over that now, and feel safe with it as well. As far as safety goes, I feel no better nor worse with a 1911, Glock, or a revolver (which a 642 is normally in my front pocket).

I think training is the key to whichever you carry. Once that decision is made, then reliability and confidence in your weapon of choice.

I hear a lot about the Ultra and reliability problems. I also hear that Kimber's Ultra is the best of its' size on the market. Once you are satisfied with the reliability of yours and your confidence to handle, then I think you have made an excellent choice.

The other reservation I would have is the trigger. My ProCarry is on the light side of 4 lbs. Compare that to a Glock at around 5 and the diference in length of pull and it is quite a difference. I wouldn't want a CCW any lighter than my ProCarry, nor any heavier than my G19, which is excellent by the way. (The 642 excepted in this instance...it has had a trigger job so it's pretty good in its' own right)

Based on what you have said, I think you are ok with your choice. Bear in mind, reliability is key in the weapon. Should you be comfortable, then you are ok. Above all, stay safe and become very familiar with the operation of your chosen CCW.

Best!!!:) :) :)

·
Registered
445 Posts
CC II said:
yesterday. i bought one. owner before me, a lawyer . ultra carry II.
So, the probability that it was once used in self-defense is high.:D

Seriously though, welcome to the forum and good luck with the Ultra. I too did alot of "homework" on this and another forum before I purchased my Kimber. I bought a Ultra CDP Elite Sts II and I am very happy with it. I now use it as my daily CCW. Here is a pic of it. BTW I also per advice on the forum, picked up a couple of Wilson Combat mags for it. They work very well and the quality is excellent.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice gun and nice groups! thank you, gentlemen, for the helpful advice re: my first CCW kimber. i am grateful. thanks again.

:) CCII

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
advice taken...

i meant to say i have taken the advice given me here and have purchased the 165 FHS rounds and one wilson combat mag . should have gotten two mags, so i'll do that.
i am quite impressed with the answers to my questions on this forum. thanks again for encouraging me.
BTW, we do know that the lawyer is still with us...thanks for the laugh!:D

CCII

1 - 7 of 7 Posts