1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this as a reply on my 108284 thread then decided it should go in as a new thread also. After 2 weeks of questions and comparisions I finally bought the 108284. It was close because a local dealer almost sold me a colt gold cup yesterday, but I finally found the 108284 in stock at a dealer accross state lines. I went and paid for it today, I have to send them a local ffl's papers (from a guy I know). I should have it by midweek. I must say that the S&W owners on this sight made my mind up. I have never seen such positive comments without complaint from an owner group. I will report back as soon as I get it to the range. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
There's not much traffic on this sub-forum. My take on it is that there's just not too much to talk about with the S&W1911s because they work like they should right outta the box.

Post your pictures of any new add-ons,targets;and you are pretty much done.

I truly regret not having the cash for a new S&W1911 ES while they were in stock at Bud's for $888.

lew,it's good to have a FFL licensed buddy. I used to have my FFL;but,moved and let it go. I never made any money from it;just bought a bunch of guns,mostly from the "Shotgun News". Ah,those were the dayz!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ffl?

Since you mentioned it do you know what it takes to acquire a ffl. I am an NRA certified rso and pistol instructor and I am interested in getting my ffl. I don't expect to get rich from it but it might help to defer some of the cost of this addiction (lol) that I have.

·
Registered
131 Posts
First off, congratulations on a great gun!

I agree with michael cameron that the reason there is so little traffic on this sub-forum is that there are so many happy customers. Of the threads you do see, the number of negative comments or experiences seems to be far less than those seen on some of the more popular sub-forums.

For my money, the SW1911 is the best value in the 1911 market today.

Cheers, Gary

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
You can't go wrong with a Smith 1911. I've got 2 108282 and 1 108303, the tactical rail. All three are in stainless. I just sent in all three to the factory for thumb safety work as I felt the thumb safety was too mushy and lacking the positive click you'd find on Colt and Springfield 1911's. They sent me a FEDEX label and I shipped all three back, and within 2 weeks got them back. All three had had their thumbsafety's replaced along with the plungers and springs inside, all three now have a positive click, which I prefer for concealed carry so their is no chance of the gun brushing up against me and the safety disengaging.

The finishes on these are phenominal, I also like the "melt" job done to do away with all sharp lines. Out of the box the 108282's shoot sub 2" groupings, and the 108303 shoots even better. I am planning on sending the 108303 to Wilsons to have a NM bushing fitted to a Match grade barrel, and the replacement of any MIM parts with forged stainless bulletproof parts, after which it will be sent off to Metaloy for finishing.

The interesting thing here is, I normally go through a 500 to 750 round ball and 200 to 250 round carry ammo break in period, but I found that these only required half of that to break in.

All in all, I'm very impressed. I plan on selling my full sized Citadel 1911 and my Charles Daly Armscorps 1911 and will pick up a S&W 1911 commander sized pistol.

I should also point out, these three shipped to S&W with no magazines, but all came back with 20 rounds test fired down the pipe AND a magazine in the weapon. KUDOS to S&W customer service team.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've just received my 1911 ES, and so far am quite disappointed. My stainless Gvt model was just fine right out of the box [3 yrs ago]. The ES has been giving me lots of failures to fire [8-12%], and I've put about 150 rounds through it. I've cleaned it and will go back for another 100 or so, but it just gives me a bad feeling. The problems also seem to be magazine related, as the factory supplied 7-rounders seem to produce more failures than my 8-rounder Chip Power Mags.

Other than that, the pistol is really nice. I seem to be more accurate with it than with the 5" barrel. It's probably got something to do with a personal problem.

Will let y'all know what happens after my next range visit.

Paul

·
Registered
607 Posts
I've just received my 1911 ES, and so far am quite disappointed. My stainless Gvt model was just fine right out of the box [3 yrs ago]. The ES has been giving me lots of failures to fire [8-12%], and I've put about 150 rounds through it. I've cleaned it and will go back for another 100 or so, but it just gives me a bad feeling. The problems also seem to be magazine related, as the factory supplied 7-rounders seem to produce more failures than my 8-rounder Chip Power Mags.

Other than that, the pistol is really nice. I seem to be more accurate with it than with the 5" barrel. It's probably got something to do with a personal problem.

Will let y'all know what happens after my next range visit.

Paul
The chip powermags will mark up the feed ramp on scandium alloy frames . However , if your chips are less than 3 years old they will retrofit them with followers from the powermags plus and they will not eat up the alloy feed ramp .

·
Registered
27 Posts
pacifickeeper-

My mags are about a year old. How do you tell the difference between powermags and plus? I thought I was getting the best I could when I bought them.

But back to my 1911 ES ... finally got back to the range after cleaning and lubing. Did 50 rounds with no ftf's and declared victory.

I'm disappointed that S&W would send the gun out in that condition, but I'm very happy with the gun, now. Even the [what I consider to be] substandard magazines that they supply seemed to work OK. I don't expect them to last more than a year, so I'll get a handful of better 7 rounders.

All's well that ends well is an appropriate cliche for this.

Paul

·
Registered
607 Posts
Chips

The chip followers will slide forward in the mag if you push on them with your thumb . When the ammo feeds it pulls the follower with it . Not a problem on my Koenig which has a stainless frame , but eats up the ramp on my alloy frame PD . Chip mac has taken very good care of me as they changed out the followers on my powermags for the ones from the powermag plus .

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
pacific,Good to hear that. Hope they will do the same for me.

I bought Trip kits;but lost a round(only had 7-round mags to begin with) 6+1.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts