1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got to the range with the experimental model DW Patriot I got featuring the external extractor. Being a sucker for a nice 10mm I could not resist it when I saw it on Dan Wesson Direct. Unfortunately, I had major problems with the extractor. At first every fifth or so round would hang in the extractor claw and had to be pulled loose. Then I noticed the pin holding the extractor in was rising out of the top of the slide! Fortunately I caught this before it came completely out and sent the extractor flying. Needless to say my trip to the range stopped short--at least the shooting of that gun did.

Looks like I will be on the phone tomorrow to see what DW wants me to do. This is my first foray into external extractors, and I was a bit nervous about the idea. Perhaps the old style is better after all.

GR

·
Registered
560 Posts
GrayRider

Just push the pin back down.. I was shooting my Patriot Expert and mine came out.. let me tell you that little spring is impossible to find when it comes boinging out.. :)

DW sent me a couple new pins and two springs.. put them in and they have worked fine since..

Can't say why the rounds were hanging up, maybe it needs a different spring tension or the claw may need to be shaped a little do to the differences in case sizes with 10mm and .45..

I would think they would be different, wonder if DW is using the same one by chance for both the .45 and 10mm.. ??

Good luck, i'm sure they will fix you up..

Jeff.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had read that thread on the DW with improper extractor tension after I bought this one. That and some other discussions made me a bit concerned that perhaps the external extractor wasn't the best idea. Needless to say when I hit the range and had problems I thought to myself "you should have known better!" I will see what DW can do for me. I keep reading great reviews of Patriots, so perhaps I just had some bad luck with this particular one.

GR

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well Dan Wesson directed me to send it back, so out it will go. Unfortunately the only shipping option I have handy is fedex, so this will be a pricey return. I will post here how it works when I get it back. Meanwhile I will be picking up a 1076 to replace the one I sold a while back. That should satisfy the 10mm craving for a bit.

GR

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hmm, I just got my DW 10mm Patriot right before Christmas, and took it to the range yesterday & today. No failures whatsoever. There were a lot of dings on the slide that kinda concern me. I've emailed a pic to DW, and will see what they have to say.

Overall, though, I love this pistol! The only other pistol this accurate I've shot was an old cobbled together 1911 longslide about 20 years back!

With Double Tap ammo, the Patriot really rocks :)

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took mine by my gunsmith yesterday. He was doing some other work for me, so I thought I might as well see what he thought. Mine has the same dings--I did not think to mention that before. He was able to ID the cause of that quickly. The ejector is too short. Rounds are failing to contact it before the slight reaches full rearward travel, and are thus extracting straight upwards without being deflected to the right. I had a few zing off my forehead when I shot it, but given the gun failed to extract more than 70% of the time the ejection issue did not catch my attention. He is going to replace the ejector for me with a proper one, and take care of the extraction issues. Given the cost of sending the gun back to DW, I think I would rather have my guy fix it and be sure that it won't have to make a second trip to DW.

GR

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well my Patriot is fixed. My smith replaced the ejector with a longer one, polished the extractor claw, and polished the breachface. The ejector seemed to be the main cause of the problem as it was never contacting the brass, thus leaving it wedged in the claw. Ejection is now consistent and I no longer have brass hitting me in the head. With any luck that will be all I need to do to this one. Not sure why DW didn't use ejectors of the proper length in the first place. Perhaps that was part of the experimenting with developing 10mm Patriots.

GR

·
Banned
651 Posts
Glad to hear it is "good to go"

That is good news! Could we please see some targets?

Scott

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will try to get it on paper soon weather permitting. It seems pretty accurate, but I have not tried to group it. I was enjoying shooting peper poppers yesterday. When one gets used to shooting 10mm all the time, you can run through plates pretty fast. Cracks me up when people complain about the recoil. I really don't notice it anymore in a 1911.

GR

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Good to hear your Dan Wesson external extractor is OK. Nothing is quiet as frustrating as a new pistol that doesn't work. I have been looking at a Patriot with an external extractor in 38Super on GunBroker.com. I may have to get it instead of a Kimber.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gary,

I have come to see the DWs as a base gun that one must assume will require fixing to get them right. Given their lower price than competitors, if a person can get the fixes done at a reasonable price then they may be worth it. If you can do it yourself, then so much the better. At this point I am into my RZ for way too much money, and after having it fixed will probably have spent close to the cost of a 10mm Kimber. My Patriot was a pretty good deal even after the cash I added paying my smith to fix it. The PM I had and sold was a bargain as it only took a minor extractor tune and then ran perfectly. If you can get a DW cheap enough and have someone who can fix it, go ahead. Otherwise the Kimber would probably be safer. I have had several Kimbers, and all were perfect from the git-go. All cost more than the DWs (except for the RZ). My Springfields have also been perfect. Found some deals on those, and paid about what a DW would have run. But then Springfield doesn't do much in the way of uncommon calibers.

GR

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Grayrider, thanks for the advice. I'm no threat to any pistolsmith when it comes to working on a pistol. Sounds like I should get a Kimber in 38Super if a Custom Heinie 38Super doesn't become available. My Shooting Partner has a Kimber 38Super he is well pleased with. He's so pleased I had never got a chance to shoot it.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts