1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently, I purchased a CD FS 1911A1, my first 1911 type handgun. The first time I took it to the range, I experienced five feed failures in 100 rounds. After inspection by the gunsmith who owns the range he suggested that I spend about 10 or 15 minutes polishing, the feed ramp and I should have no problem.
Well I took his advice, and it paid off. Today I put 150 rounds from three different manufacturers and it performed flawlessly, not one hiccup. There are only two things I think I will change, one is I will replace the recoil spring with a 18.5 lbs spring, and I wish Charles Daly would supply me with a set of the double diamond wood grips.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Jack,

Congrats on your first 1911 - hopefully the beginning of a long and fulfilling addiction

That's often all some 1911's need. Have fixed several finicky ones with a little polish. Curious since it's your first 1911, how did you shoot with it? Any differences from other style pistols as to accuracy or?

Yeah, but that's the fun part - custom grips, springs, accessories...

JSP

[This message has been edited by JSP (edited 09-01-2000).]

·
Registered
147 Posts
Jack, Welcome to the club
I have owned my 1911 for around 15 years. I shoot other pistols , but it is the 1 I enjoy most.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JSP,

To answer your question how did it shoot? It was marvelous, one ragged hole at 30 feet (a little lower than point of aim but I can fix that easy enough.) I have some experience in shooting 1911 style pistol from my 17 service years, few of the assorted contract manufactured 1911s shot well, they were often loose and rough but would eat anything you feed them. As for other hand guns I own, my favorite is my Springfield model P-9 (Ya I have heard a lot of bad mouthing of this piece also.) The P-9 is also extremely accurate and all I have ever done to it in the 11 plus years I have owned it is clean it. Another favorite is the only Ruger auto I think is worth owning and that is the Mk II. Mine is a four inch stainless standard. It is cheap to shoot and has never let me down only ever had bad ammo.

You are certainly correct about the 1911a1 being addictive. I think that it is the feel of the piece as it cycles and seems to come right back to point of aim every time you pull the trigger. It is almost depressing to have the slide lock back (which is not always a bad thing) because it is telling you that you must pause now just when you got started (better than a wheel gun I suppose).

Peace, Jack

·
Registered
802 Posts
Jack

It's hard to beat a good 1911. I've shot and owned so many different pistols, but only one style has ever felt perfect.

One "accessory" I've really enjoyed is the Ciener 22 Conversion kit. It costs as much as a complete 22 pistol, but is so much fun and reinforces your 1911 skills. I wouldn't trade both of mine for anything.

Buddy who just bought a new SIG, shot my Wilson and 22 kit this weekend. Now he's looking at a Daly and Ciener kit

I never see P-9's. Don't know if they didn't produce many or folks who have em just don't sell em.

JSP

1 - 5 of 5 Posts