1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been looking around here for a while. new to the forums and handguns in general. just brought home my new Springfeild 1911A1 9mm (ya i know not 45 but the 9 ammo is cheaper here). ive got a few newbie type ques:

1: barrel is dirty. is this from factory test firing or someone else ?(NIB from a shop that doesnt have a range)
2:A-Zoom 9mm luger snap caps are safe for dry fire?
3:stupid ILS lawyer lock will not turn (to locked). i think the key might be too wide, or is there something i have to engage/disengage (read the manual, tried it w/mag in and out = nothing).
4:what type of ammo for target/range shooting and reliability? i was thinking WINclean, does this actually help keep the gun cleaner?
5:what do i do as far as cleaning, lube etc. before shooting it?

thanks everyone for helping me pick a great gun. any help with this stuff would be greatly appreciated. thanks. btw, u might see this on another site, sorry, just trying to get as much info as possible

·
Registered
879 Posts
1: barrel is dirty. is this from factory test firing or someone else ?(NIB from a shop that doesnt have a range)
Clean it

2:A-Zoom 9mm luger snap caps are safe for dry fire?
Well, snap caps are for dry fire, and if they are the same caliber as the gnyou intend to use them in, yes, they are 'safe'

3:stupid ILS lawyer lock will not turn (to locked). i think the key might be too wide, or is there something i have to engage/disengage (read the manual, tried it w/mag in and out = nothing).
I've never tried locking ours. We don't even have a key. Can't help you.

4:what type of ammo for target/range shooting and reliability? i was thinking WINclean, does this actually help keep the gun cleaner?
I wouldn't waste money on "clean" ammo. You should clean your pistol after ever range session. Some ammo is dirtier than others, use what you like. I like PMC, and often use Remington, WWB and Fed AE. Yes, a few are dirty.

5:what do i do as far as cleaning, lube etc. before shooting it?
You clean it, then lube it, the same as any time you clean and lube it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ditto on everything Shorts said:

Probably dirty from the factory, that's good, at least they function-tested yours before letting it go.

I also don't have a key, so don't know if my lock works either.

Yes, field strip your pistol now and lube it. After shooting, strip, clean & lube.

And yes, the "clean" ammo is just a waste of money, go for WWB, UMC or Wolf, something decent + cheap.
What makes the "clean" ammo clean is not the powder residue left behind, but the primer is unleaded and the lead on the bullet is enclosed. A few indoor ranges require this "clean" ammo. Your pistol will still be sooty after shooting this ammo, just like any other ammo.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
enjoy that gun.

ditto the "don't know where the key is" thing for one of mine and the other had a mag well added so it is not an issue anymore with that one.

mine came with the "test fired barrel syndrome".

both eat up S&B, UMC and CCI Blazer ammo which means cheap (er) shooting when bought in bulk.

keep it cleaned and lubed as per normal 1911 maintainence and it will run and run.

be safe, shoot well.:rock:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks everybody for your replies. for the benefit of people searching the same info, i posted the ques on 3 sites and here are the best answers:

1: springfeild does test fire their guns, so this is why the barrel may come dirty. no worries.
2: snap caps (of the proper caliber) are safe and recommended. you dont absolutly need them for safe dry fire of a 1911, but they work to limit the firing pin's forward travel, preventing any damage. better safe than sorry.
3: on my 1911, the ILS would not turn at first. then after approx 12 dry fires w/snap caps (and working the slide). it suddenly worked smooth as silk. im guessing something just had to break in. try it before you pay to have it fixed.
(and follow the procedure in the manual)
4: ammo: whatever feeds/shoots best. and winclean not only has a brass inclosed bullet base, it also has cleaner burning powder and primer.
5: feild strip the gun, clean it and oil all mechanical surfaces,and clean and oil the barrel. shoot it and relube the slide after 200-250 rds, clean it /lube it after 500 rds. i cant comment on the accuracy of this, cause it was advice
given to me on the net, but it seems reasonable. if in doubt, do more reasearch yourself. btw, some people insist on cleaning the gun after EVERY use/range session/day. whatever works best for you.
good luck and good shooting

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Regarding Ammo, I like the Blazer Alum. Seems very clean to me and it is consistent as WWB. Academy sells it for $3.86/box.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
My experience with the "clean" ammo that has the brass-enclosed base is that it is less sooty, but it leaves lots of brass flakes that I don't see with other ammo types. Just swapping one form of junk for another form of junk, IMHO, and more expensive at that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.