1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone,i hope this is the right forum to post this thread on.anyways,the problem is i have just purchased a new 1911a1 springfield loaded in stainless steel with fixed novak sights.i find that this weapon shoots about 6 to 8 inches low at 25 yards.is there a way to adjust this,i.e.can you buy smaller front sight blades?i have been to a couple of different web sight and haven't really found anything.any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
21,758 Posts
This is a common report on SA Loaded recently. Apparently they have strayed in some dimension. Squawk to them, they will change the sights on the lifetime guarantee.

A change of 6-8 inches at 25 yards is .040" - .050" on the sight. This might make the front sight too short for quick pickup. Novak makes a taller Lowmount for short barrelled guns that would do better. But I'd let Springfield handle it on a new gun.

This assuming you are SURE that it is the GUN shooting low. A low impact is a sign of trigger jerk. Have you shot it over a rest, given it to a known good shot to try, or compared it with another .45?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Since this is a new gun for you, I think I would say give it a couple more rounds to make sure its the equipment and not the shooter. Not impyling anything about your experience or capabilities, but shooting low on a new gun due to flinching is about the most common issue for a lot shooters, just like the previous guy said.

If it is the sights, well you can either make your front sight shorter or make the rear sight higher. The former is the easiest to do, but again as was mentioned, you lose some target aquistition cabality. Some of the new fiber optic front sights have a very low profile and combined with the filament provide a very easy to aquire picture.

One other thing, that I don't know I if I would call a fix, but you could put an arched or wedge mainspring housing into your gun. Technically, if you are aiming at the center of the target and doing everything correct, and your sights are on, you should be hitting where you want. I have seen some shooters correct low shooting, or at least decrease the probabilty of low shooting by adding the arched or wedged mainspring housing. Might help, but really just masks the problem.

Let us know what you figure out.

Gunsling

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
still shoots low

hi guys,i took all the advice given into account and went back to the range today.tried shooting it from a rest,and it still shot low.while i agree with you gentlemen that it could be the operator,i still get very good groups(for me anyways)of 2-3 inches in a rest position,and about 4 offhand.this leads me to believe that it may not all be my doing.i will go back to the range a couple more times before i do anything drastic though.thanks for the time contributed and the advice given.

panzer:D

·
Registered
111 Posts
One of my Springfield loaded shot 4" low at 7 yards. It took a new front sight to "cure" it. Springfield was very helpful. I talked to Deb. She seems to care and know her stuff.
Stay safe out there,
Ken

·
Registered
925 Posts
How about trying a different load first???

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Common with current-production SAs.
Try a higher momentum (heavier bullet and/or higher velocity) load first, or if your favored load still hits low, you'll have to file down the front sight and reblue (cold blue, recommend Brownells 44/40).

You could send it back to SA, but that's a lot of trouble for such an easy fix. (Though of course SA should have fixed this before the gun ever left the factory in the first place, don't know why they don't get this all-too-common problem with their guns sorted out!)

Best.

·
Registered
47 Posts
A late response but....
My SA loaded purchased last Jan. shot 5" low out of the box. After 500 rounds it was still 3" low and I was about to send it back when I called for an RA number. After some discussion I finally ended up with someone in service who admitted that SA made the front sight taller. Hence the gun shoots low. They do this on purpose so that the fix in the field is file the front sight .050 to bring your rounds back up. He said its easier to reduce the height of the sight than to increase it. He also said ammo choice will make a diference too but 80% of all SA's are on the money out of the box and those that they hear about shoot low.... A 7 year history, he says.
Made sence to me. I filed mine.

My 2¢

1 - 8 of 8 Posts