1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all. Just ordered a "traditional" series 70, stainless .45acp online, shipping to my LGS.
I really want to leave it stock the best I can, but I can't get away from wanting to change the mainspring housing to a steel one thats arched (to look more traditional and because it comes with a short trigger). The only other thing I may need to change is the front sight at least, so its not all black.

That being said, is the front sight a wide tennon or normal size tennin? What size should I look for to match the height of the rear GI sights?
Also, what cut is the rear dovetail? I have no idea what style sights to buy that will work with this gun.
What do people think of a staked sight vs dovetailed in terms or reliability?

Or should I just try to avoid the headache and paint the white dots on the stock sights myself?
If so, does anyone have any tips for making them come out perfect? What type of paint, what methods, etc.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
It's wide tenon tall front sight and USGI dovetail cut at the rear. Depending on what you use the pistol for, dovetail front sight in general would be more secured (more expensive too), but nothing wrong with tenon sight.

Colt has white dot sight that will fit directly, but not sure if you can find one in stock.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2084125654?pid=662967

Fusion sell wide tenon sights (series 80 .185 height) also will fit and match with the Colt reat sight height as well.
https://fusionfirearms.com/stake-on-front-sight-selector

Instead of spend more money, you should try paint your front sight with color nail polish or hobby paint first. Lots of color choices and it can be easily removed if you don't like it or can be repainted when fading. If you ended not liking this option, go buy replacement sight for proper gunsmith installation.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Just saw Ebay has a couple of Colt OEM white dot sight like the one listed in MidwayUSA.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I dobt have a staking tool, so I'd rather just get. Tritium one and go all out, or just paint a dot on the stock front. Staking a new one properly may be above my gunsmith skills.

·
Administrator
71,901 Posts
Is the pistol you ordered rollmarked "Series 70" (O1070A1CS) or is it a 1911 Classic (O1911C-SS)? If you want a stainless arched housing Ed Brown makes one. $43 on Midway.

Both the Series 70 and the 1911 Classic have the same sights. The tenon is the wide (.125") size, and front sight height is about .170" which matches the rear. True USGI sights are much shorter and narrower front and rear.

Simply painting the front sight with nail polish is probably the easiest thing to do. It will also come off easily if you want to change it back. I put white dots on my blued O1911C, but it required drifting out the rear and replacing it with a Colt white dot rear, then carefully drilling a divot in the front post to hold white hobby paint. I did that to avoid having to remove the old sight and stake a new one, but in the end it was probably just as much work.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I paint the whole rear face of the front sights with bright orange hobby paint. The rectangular orange block is easy to use for my old eyes.
Pete

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dsk....what a great response. I was online with the exact msh in my cart from midway when you posted your comment lol. Ordering tonight. Do you think their stainless matches the bead blast stainless on the colt? I would love to drill a divot for the paint. Any recommendations of how without a drill press? How you you setup the slide to remain rigid enough for the drill?

·
Premium Member
7,670 Posts
Yep, just paint the darn thing if you paint it all white first you can put one coat of red, Orange, or whatever COr over it and it will appear brighter.

·
Administrator
71,901 Posts
Dsk....what a great response. I was online with the exact msh in my cart from midway when you posted your comment lol. Ordering tonight. Do you think their stainless matches the bead blast stainless on the colt? I would love to drill a divot for the paint. Any recommendations of how without a drill press? How you you setup the slide to remain rigid enough for the drill?
I did it using a pin vise, which is a tiny hand-held drill used by scale modelers. The trick is to start the divot centered and try to keep it that way. I secured the slide in a padded vise and wore a lighted magnified headband so I could better see what I was doing.

Like I said, in the end it was probably more work than just replacing the sight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts