1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a Taurus PT1911 and have been spending way too much money on ammo. So I spent lots of money on midway and ended up with reloading gear. I got a Lee Pro 1000 Progressive. My bullets are Ranier 200 grn plated SWC, casings are the Starline. I got the CCI 300 primers and Accurate NO. 5. I have never attempted to reload a round before. Once I figure out what the hell it is that I am doing, I would like to know how to make a round that the IPSC guys use. Do they use really light charges or are they just really proficient with handling recoil. It seems like the pistol barely moves in their hands when firing. Could someone give me an idea on how much powder or whatever I need to use to do this type of shooting. I'm an ex-Army Ranger, so I am pretty proficient with pistols, but I would like to learn about this side of them. Thanks in advance for the help guys.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
No expert here, but there are many experts who will likely chime in to your question. I would recomend getting a few reloading manuals and some literature so you can figure out "what the hell you are doing" No offense of course, but a good book is a great tool to have, if not the best. As far as loads, it depends on if you want to make major or not, or what class you want to shoot in. Look under the competitive section of the forum, lots of info there. As for watching the professionals, well, they are where they are for a reason, sure it looks easy, but just as easy as MJ shooting a 3 or Nolan Ryan throwing a no hitter, these guys are pros.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I just bought a Taurus PT1911 and have been spending way too much money on ammo. So I spent lots of money on midway and ended up with reloading gear. I got a Lee Pro 100 Progressive. My bullets are Ranier 200 grn plated SWC, casings are the Starline. I got the CCI 300 primers and Accurate NO. 5. I have never attempted to reload a round before. Once I figure out what the hell it is that I am doing, I would like to know how to make a round that the IPSC guys use. Do they use really light charges or are they just really proficient with handling recoil. It seems like the pistol barely moves in their hands when firing. Could someone give me an idea on how much powder or whatever I need to use to do this type of shooting. I'm an ex-Army Ranger, so I am pretty proficient with pistols, but I would like to learn about this side of them. Thanks in advance for the help guys.
First, Thank you for your service
The cure you seek is in the manuals; you will never obtain the proper knowledge needed to handload correctly on the blogs.
Start buying handloading manuals and do the following.
Read, Read, Read. Then read them again.

A lot of people recommend getting the ABC’s of Reloading manual.
You can sometimes find them used on Amazon for around 10 bucks
I also like the Lyman (tons of good lead load data) Hornady and Speer

Once you have a deeper understanding of the process, the information sites will be more of an assist to you.
Good Luck

·
Super Moderator
14,938 Posts
I also thank you for your service, and want to welcome you to the world of reloading. That's the nice stuff I'm going to say.

Now for the "tough love". What in the heck are you doing buying reloading equipment and components without any knowledge of what you're buying or how you're going to use them? Wouldn't it have made more sense to buy & study some reloading books/manuals first; or, at least, come to this forum and ask about getting started in reloading?

You come to us and ask about IPSC specific loads for your very first question. You've definitely put the cart before the horse.

Buy some books, read them, study them. Attend an IPSC match and talk to the shooters who make their own ammo. My guess would be that NONE of them are using 200gr Rainier SWC's and AA#5 powder.

Please don't take the above in the wrong way. We're all happy to have another reloader and potential competitive shooter on board. Although reloading isn't Rocket Science, it still is science. You can't just jump in and start cranking out quality ammo.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont mean that I am going to shoot IPSC right now. I was just curious what kind of materials they use and such. I do have a minimal amount of knowledge about reloading...as far as the physical aspect of it. Everything is pretty much automated for me so it will atleast let me get some cheap ammo. And IPSC really is not that far of a reach for me. I know tons about shooting seeing as I did it for a living. Just didn't know what all went into having the bullet go into the bad guys. Thanks for the tough love and the advice for the books. I will definitely look into them.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
IAnd IPSC really is not that far of a reach for me. I know tons about shooting seeing as I did it for a living. .

Not to be insulting your proven abilities, but as another former retired military Small Arms Expert (m16 and M9) to another, I believe you will find yourself quite humbled in short order in even most club level IPSC matches. There are some fast and accurate shots out there!

BUt if you do a quick search for Accurate Arms powders, you can find the company's online loading data which should give you some helpful data on choosing a desired handload.

Good luck,and,enjoy!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not to be insulting your proven abilities, but as another former retired military Small Arms Expert (m16 and M9) to another, I believe you will find yourself quite humbled in short order in even most club level IPSC matches. There are some fast and accurate shots out there!

BUt if you do a quick search for Accurate Arms powders, you can find the company's online loading data which should give you some helpful data on choosing a desired handload.

Good luck,and,enjoy!
I know I would definitely be humbled. I meant the premise of it all. :) I have the luxury of the previous training in moving and shooting. I Don't think I could hit the targets as fast and as accurately as any of the members. Just that I might be able to pick it up a bit quicker. Anyway, thank you for the advice!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts