1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was surprised when I got my new Colt 1911 Classic home to find that it was impossible to insert the magazine. I am not sure how it got out like that. You can force it, and someone did, because the top of the magazine is dented where it hits the mag catch. The spring is excessively strong also. I have had 4 other 1911s, a Brolin, 2 AO and a Springfield and none had such a stiff spring. I have a set of graduated springs coming from Wolff and an extended catch coming from Brownells but I thought I would post in case it might save someone else some annoyance.

Tints and shades Bumper Electric blue Shadow Personal protective equipment
Tints and shades Bumper Electric blue Shadow Personal protective equipment

·
Administrator
75,397 Posts
That is normal. It's a dimple meant to allow easier insertion of the magazine, but unfortunately in your case it isn't doing the job (probably not stamped in the right spot).

Trust me, it would take an extreme amount of force to dent a steel magazine body like that if it wasn't on purpose.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I use those Wolff mag catch spring paks a lot too.

You can also smooth and gently profile the mag catch itself to allow it to more easily be pushed aside by the magazine. "Surface A" in the pic below is one contact area to be addressed. Also the juncture between the thin flat area immediately above Surface A and Surface A can be lightly radiused to allow a smoother transition from one surface to the other. Finally, the extreme ride edge of the thin flat area can be rounded.

Before taking a file to the part be sure to first coat the area with Dykem or blue Sharpie then run a mag in and out of the pistol several times to show where the contact points are between the mag and the mag catch.

Check your progress as you go to be sure the magazine engagement ledge remains wide enough to securely hold the mag.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I use those Wolff mag catch spring paks a lot too.

You can also smooth and gently profile the mag catch itself to allow it to more easily be pushed aside by the magazine. "Surface A" in the pic below is one contact area to be addressed. Also the juncture between the thin flat area immediately above Surface A and Surface A can be lightly radiused to allow a smoother transition from one surface to the other. Finally, the extreme ride edge of the thin flat area can be rounded.

Before taking a file to the part be sure to first coat the area with Dykem or blue Sharpie then run a mag in and out of the pistol several times to show where the contact points are between the mag and the mag catch.

Check your progress as you go to be sure the magazine engagement ledge remains wide enough to securely hold the mag.

Thanks for the tips in this post! Just ordered the EGW higher shelf mag release based on a recommendation you made in another post some to me ago and was wondering the best way to fit it properly when the part arrives.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Just ordered the EGW higher shelf mag release . . . the best way to fit it properly . . .
Very often they're drop-in but if yours isn't then it's a simple matter of identifying the contact points where the catch and the frame are hitting and dressing them to eliminate the interference. I would only work on the mag catch. I would use 320 or 400 grit sandpaper wrapped around a file for this work.

First, I would test the fit without the mag catch spring installed and address any interference.

Second, I would put the spring in the mag catch and repeat the procedure.

I often find the head area of the mag catch lock needs a little attention. I always roll a piece of sandpaper around a punch to remove any burrs or roughness from inside the catch where the spring fits. I also address the slot into which the tab of the lock fits. Also the tip of lock pin that fits inside the spring gets some love to prevent it from bumping along the coils of the spring.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lots of good info here, thx.

·
Registered
411 Posts
There really is. I should find out sometime Wednesday when I get off work if it’s going to be “drop in” or as close as you can get with a 1911. I’ve been eyeing this particular mag catch for a while and if I like it, will switch the rest of my 1911s to it as only my Ruger as the extended button release which I find that I prefer

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
. . . will switch the rest of my 1911s . . .
Just be aware that varying production tolerances between 1911 and magazine manufacturers may not always allow a drop-in or minimal fitting of the magazine catch. I always expect to have to fit them and then am pleasantly surprised when I don't have to.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just be aware that varying production tolerances between 1911 and magazine manufacturers may not always allow a drop-in or minimal fitting of the magazine catch. I always expect to have to fit them and then am pleasantly surprised when I don't have to.
True. My extended catch came in and is just as oversized as the original. Since I had a backup I worked the original down, I must have taken off 0.030 to get it down to the point the mag will cam it over. When the springs come I will use what I leaned and fit the extended catch, polish it up and touch up the blue with Oxpho Blue. I hope that when I get it to the range, this is the last problem.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Of course. I was referring to the higher shelf on the mag release though. I have seen many post about just about every part repeat this same thing about no drop in parts and even grips need to be fitted on occasion.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is normal. It's a dimple meant to allow easier insertion of the magazine, but unfortunately in your case it isn't doing the job (probably not stamped in the right spot).

Trust me, it would take an extreme amount of force to dent a steel magazine body like that if it wasn't on purpose.
I checked my other Colt c mark mags and the dimple is indeed there on them all, just much less pronounced.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First range trip today. My extended mag catch came in and after fitting the original part, fitting the new one only took a few minutes. Added a Wolff #2 reduced power MC spring at the same time. Now the mags work perfectly both inserting and ejecting. Put 35 rounds of Rem hardball thru it followed by 35 rounds of Rem 230g HPs. Totally reliable and zero was perfect. Really grateful the only issue from the factory was the mag catch needing work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts