1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Purchased a Colt made in 1916 as a 1911. S/n 134xxx. Reworked at RIA and essentially made to be a 1911-A1 well not finger cuts, etc. Of course, because of the armory rework it is not a true collector. That's okay as I shoot all my stuff! When I pick it up (CA 10 day wait) on the 26th I will review all the markings, take some pics and let you guys tell me all the bad! :)

·
Banned
2,944 Posts
William, the reworked ones are becoming collectors... remember they are not heat treated well so they are prone to cracking. If you plan to shoot it, plan on buying a new gun soon.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Congrats on getting a Colt that is becoming a true collectors item. I've got one that was made in 1943. It was passed to me by my dad before his death and I don't shoot very much. It is too valuable and my Dan Wesson CBOB is made to take the daily abuse.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally picked it up. Will try pictures later. It has the 'FK' and 'RIA' markings indicating rebuild at Rock Island Arsenal in early 40's ... when Frank K was inspector. So could have been used in WW II or Korea or VN. Has (faintly) the original proof marks as well as later proofs. The Remington Rand, Inc. slide, Colt frame, grips, are all in good condition. Still researching it and having fun even w/o shooting it ... which I will do.
Man, was it dirty inside. I completely dismantled it and used a hard wood pick to clean out gunk in all the corners ... surprised the bbl would go to battery. Almost like dried cosmoline, but dirt and grime. Everything is in good shape and I will not change any of it. More to come.

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
Congratulations on your new toy. I also advise against shooting it much, but being a mixmaster anyway I guess it wouldn't be a total sin. I was just perusing some of the posts in the SASS forum this morning, and discovered that a lot of folks are shooting their vintage USGI guns in "Wild Bunch" matches. It's bad enough that these guys continue to shoot their GI pistols, but IPSC-style as well? :eek:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe this Wild Bunch (great movie) shooting is why the rebuilds are drawing a bit of attention? Like the old Winc M97 ... they may become worth more than they are worth! I have a few other 45ACPs - even a wheel gun - so this one will not be heavily used. I just gotta see how it shoots. :)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
What it looks like ...

·
Registered
321 Posts
RIA Stamp

Nice. Could you get a close up of the RIA stamping; it looks different than mine does (on a M1911A1 Remington)?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice find, How does she shoot?
Have not been to the range yet. But will report.
Meanwhile, bargaining on a 1945 R-R that appears original!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice. Could you get a close up of the RIA stamping; it looks different than mine does (on a M1911A1 Remington)?

Will try. My closeups have not worked well. I have seen somevariation in the arsenal stampings. See www.coolgunsite.com for lots of info.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So how did you know it was rebuilt in early '40's?
By the FK inspector mark. From coolgunsite.com ... "FK: Frank Krack was Assistant Foreman of the Inspection Division at RIA from September 17, 1941 until he retired on July 19th, 1946. During that period all small arms inspected under his supervision would be stamped with his initials "FK" as well as those of the Rock Island Arsenal "RIA"."

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Use Macro Mode, should be a little flower symbol on your camera.
THANX! Will give that a try. Will sure relieve some frustration I have had with my latest camera. Have even gone back to one of my 35mm a couple of times.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
By the FK inspector mark. From coolgunsite.com ... "FK: Frank Krack was Assistant Foreman of the Inspection Division at RIA from September 17, 1941 until he retired on July 19th, 1946. During that period all small arms inspected under his supervision would be stamped with his initials "FK" as well as those of the Rock Island Arsenal "RIA"."
That was my take on it too. He was there approximately one year after WWII ended in mid 1945.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Rebuilds

Ok....not to hijack the thread (kick me off if I seem to be), but why does my rebuild not have arsenal stamps like the original poster's gun? Did some arsenals simply not stamp them?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts