1911Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What say the members of 1911Forum.com to the thought of purchasing a brand new 1991 Commander from Colt? Recreation a definate, carry quite possible. I ask b/c my Dad has an interest in a ".45", and if he likes my Commander, I may have him look at the new Colts. I showed him the Ed Brown Kobra Carry, which he liked right up to the point where he saw the price tag. Pluses, minuses, anything you can input is welcome.

Thanks,
Anthony

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you read down you'll find me asking about the new Commanders. I picked my stainless steel 1991 Commander yesterday. It was 100% reliable with the various odd hardball and hollowpoints I had lying around. It even feed some old CCI "flying ashtray" 200 grainers I had in my junk box.

Fit and finish were very nice and accuracy averaged 2 1/2" sandbagged 5 shot 25 yard groups with Remington 185 grains, 3 1/2" with Corbon 200 grain +P's, and 4" or so with some old U.S. military hardball.

Overall I was well pleased with the pistol.

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
I hope they're nice, I should be picking up my xmas present today, O4091U: Commander Stainless. I've read a lot of good things about them and liked the price as well. Although it sounds like I might have to do a little de-horning job on it after really reading DSKs report on how he did his. Other than the sharp edges I haven't seen any bad reviews....Sam

·
Registered
900 Posts
The basis for my customized carry Commander was a new rollmark, blued, all-steel 1991 Commander. Excellent pistol right out of the box, with my only complaints being the overly-sharp edges on the slide, and the way the grip safety always bites at the webbing of my hand (a problem I have with all stock 1911's).

Here's a couple pics of the one I bought in April 2003, before it was customized.

This one had some very nice polishing and bluing, straight from the factory.

·
Registered
318 Posts
What is the going price that is reasonable for one? I see one at Gander Mountain for $669 in stainless and new roll mark. Is that fair, or cheap, or gouging?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
You decide:

Dealers cost is in the $550 range for stainless commanders.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It seems fair based on what most gunshops charge. My dealer sold me one at wholesale. By the time I paid the UPS overnight shipping and taxes, I had $600.00 in it.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Agreed, it was a nice pistol while it was stock, but I feel it's a nicer pistol now that it's been customized how I wanted it. :)

At some point I'm sure I'll own a stock Commander (or near stock anyway - the webbing of my hand can't stand the standard grip safeties). Likely in Stainless. :)

As for the grips, the one on the stock pistol ARE the stock grips shipped with it. Colt has been supplying some very nice wood grips as of late. On the customized pistol, they are Ahrends gaboon ebony "tactical" checkered, with silver Colt medallions installed. :)

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
Regarding the Ed Browns... yes they're great guns, very well made. I have an Ed Brown Class A bobtail Commander in blue

Ed Brown Class A Bobtail Commander

It's an awesome gun and the bobtail is supremely comfortable and easier to conceal than a sharp end grip... plus you can still use full size magazines.

But that said, I still prefer my Colts. And they are much more affordable! One day I would like to buy a blue Colt Commander and have a bob tail done to it... that would be an awesome carry gun.

Here's one of my Commanders:

Colt LW Commander XSE

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
Thanks... yes, Ed Brown does a very nice job... this one is very accurate, nice light trigger pull (about 3.5 lbs.) and is slick as a lick.

I'd still really like to take a new Colt blued or SS Commander, the traditional style, like a 1991 and have Ed put his bob tail on it. That would be a superb carry gun at 1/3 the price of the Ed Brown Class A.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts