1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a brand new 1991A1 and noticed some obvious cosmetic changes that make it look ALOT better:

1. Completely new rollmarks. Instead of the gigantic, ugly "1991A1" rollmark, it looks like a nice, classic Colt marking with small, neat letters. It reads:

-----Colt's-----
Government Model
.45 Automatic Caliber

With the pony immediatley to the right, so it kind of looks like a small-lettering Series 70. I know the new roll-mark has been mentioned here, but the drawings of the new markings don't do them justice AT ALL; it looks very good indeed.

2. The finish looked ALOT nicer. Instead of uniformly coarse parkerizing it was a nice flat black with brushed slide flats. Not quite "Royal Blue" but definitely alot classier than older finish.

These were the only two changes I noticed, but they make the gun look ALOT more appealing. All it needs are some good wood grips to look nice, and would make a VERY attractive base for a custom pistol IMHO.

This is a 180 degree change in my point of view, I think the old 1991A1 looked so appalling that I'd NEVER consider buying one.

VERY GOOD job, Colt!

------------------
CastleBravo
The Pit: http://www.geocities.com/mr_motorhead/index.html

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
castlebravo: I've got one of these new Colt's. The only thing I've done to mine is replace the plastic MSH with an arched, blue steel MSH from Wilson Combat, and the plastic trigger with a Videcki speed trigger. After firing this gun 700 rounds with NO malfunction, I decided to also replace the grip safety with a drop in beavertail that required no other adjustments. Now, after 3k rounds, it still has not faltered, and I would feel comfortable in carrying this as my CCW should my Combat Elite ever need repairs.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I too have the new one, got some new cocbolo grips, and a chip macormick trigger plus an arched MSH from john masen inc..looks very nice
I might be able to post pics soon.

·
Registered
20 Posts
ive an parked 1991.changed the hammer to stainless wilson combat,stainless wilson combat grip safty and stainless extended slide releaase. drilled and colored the sights(2 white and red dot)and replaced the plastic grips(which broke after 1st 4 rounds)to a diamond checkered walnut.also replaced the plastic trigger and mshousing with colt steel.absolutly satisied!

·
Registered
135 Posts
does anyone know the going price on this model, or is it the same as the '91 roll marked ones? And is there a online store selling them?

Thanks,
Nismofun

·
Registered
809 Posts
Isn't there anybody here with the money for a new Colt AND a digital camera!

101 Posts
DSK:

There have been many separate threads regarding the new finish and rollmark of the new 1991, but I see you did not post a similar "Run a search on this forum. There are more posts than you can shake a stick at" as you did on the recent 1911A1 repro post.

There have been just as many redundant, overlapping posts regarding the new 1991 as the 1911 repro.

You, for some reason beyond me, truly "have it out" for the 1911 repro. Why? I don't know. I wish you would get off the fence and come right out and state "the people who bought them are complete idiots, considering one could get a gen-u-wine vintage piece for the same money." You've been dancing around the issue, just write what's on your mind.

FYI, I can afford, but don't want, a vintage 1911. I like my P.38s for my war pieces. I am just fine and dandy with my "wannabee" 1911A1. It can kill a man just as good as a vintage 1911.

Being the administrator, I think it is important for you to maintain some degree of neutrality in a choice context. Your criticism of the repro has been based on a buyer's choice, instead of legitimate problems with the gun. I've had ZERO problems or malfunctions with mine. So criticize that, will you?

Take care and no hard feelings, but write what's on your mind and quit dancing.

Rob

·
Registered
83 Posts
Originally posted by In service to His Majesty:
DSK:

There have been many separate threads regarding the new finish and rollmark of the new 1991, but I see you did not post a similar "Run a search on this forum. There are more posts than you can shake a stick at" as you did on the recent 1911A1 repro post.

There have been just as many redundant, overlapping posts regarding the new 1991 as the 1911 repro.

You, for some reason beyond me, truly "have it out" for the 1911 repro. Why? I don't know. I wish you would get off the fence and come right out and state "the people who bought them are complete idiots, considering one could get a gen-u-wine vintage piece for the same money." You've been dancing around the issue, just write what's on your mind.

FYI, I can afford, but don't want, a vintage 1911. I like my P.38s for my war pieces. I am just fine and dandy with my "wannabee" 1911A1. It can kill a man just as good as a vintage 1911.

Being the administrator, I think it is important for you to maintain some degree of neutrality in a choice context. Your criticism of the repro has been based on a buyer's choice, instead of legitimate problems with the gun. I've had ZERO problems or malfunctions with mine. So criticize that, will you?

Take care and no hard feelings, but write what's on your mind and quit dancing.

Rob
Damn?!?!? Who pissed in your corn flakes?

[This message has been edited by Marbo (edited 10-24-2001).]

·
Registered
587 Posts
DSK has said that the high cost (compared with a vintage pistol) is his main "concern".
For the same money, one could have a vintage gun if so desired. I too would have purchased the reproduction 1911 if it were somewhat lower in price.

·
Registered
293 Posts
i have to agree that DSK's main statements on the repro is the price. and i will agree with that all the way. the price is too high for a repro 1911.

if you remember, the colt 1991A1 was listed as a direct desendant of the "Colt model 1911"

it was a return to the basic colt fighting pistol, and i didn;t hear to many people bitch about it. i have two and love, plastic parts series 80 and all.

the price of the 91A1 is not beyond reason for a fighting pistol. the repro should have followed the same course because the repro is a copy ( i know, they are a little different) of colts basic fighting pistol.

make me a repro of the early national matches and i would pay more money, but make a repro of a fighting pistol, and i don't want to pay more than i should for a fighting pistol

russel the cop

fire away!!!!!

------------------
CHANCE FAVORS THE PREPARED MIND....

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Anybody got a picture to post of the NEW ROLL MARKed Colt?

Since we can't get the Mil Repros here in CA, I would settle for the 1991, if it had the good markings like you describe.

I don't like the markings on the Valtro either, but they're made in Italy anyway. (But, they are legal here in CA.)

·
Administrator
18,614 Posts
Now if Colt would only get rid of the Series 80 system and go to a Series 70 style...or at least offer it as an option.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Now if they would only take the "Series 80" off of the right side of the slide!!!!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Heres a pic
Finally! I've been scouring Gunbroker and Auction Arms for weeks trying to find a photo of these new rollmarks. Thanks, SHUZ!

From the Gunbroker listing:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Good Gravy, those new rolls are TIGHT!!! I think I might just have to get one this weekend at the gun show. Might not be able to eat until my next paycheck, but hey, it's worth it. Thanks, Shuz.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Shuz, they were $650 a year ago because Colt was not producing very many guns, and their future was uncertain. Plus, dealers could get away with selling the 1991 as a "discontinued" gun. Hell, there are even some dealers now who still don't believe Colt is making guns

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.