1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, i just put $100 down on a new 1991A1 with the old roll marks, i will be picing it up here in a week or two and i need a little help?
1. What is the best Hard Ball ammo to use? 2. Where can i get good 7-round mags? And 3. what do i need to know over all about the gun, it will be my frist .45cal handgun, i have shot 9mm's and .22's but not a .45

Thanks for any help guys,

------------------
Smith

· Administrator
80,886 Posts
1. Best hardball:
Any major brand, although personally I like Federal American Eagle the best. Some folks have reported QC problems with UMC brand. Winchester white box works good too. PMC ammo can be found very cheap and works well, but it's a bit dirty. Same for Sellier & Belliot.

The one to avoid: Wolf steel-cased ammo. The stuff is garbage!

2. Go to Brownells and order some Metalform mags. Even better yet, spend the money on Wilson mags. Whatever you do, avoid the gun show mags! Some are even marked "Colt", even though they are not and are of inferior quality.

3. Simply take it out and shoot it! If there's anything you will need or want you'll find out soon enough. Don't spend more money unless you find you need to. Just don't be suckered into the "you need to do this and that modification" BS. Many like to keep theirs factory stock, and for good reason.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://usgi1911.tripod.com

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 11-28-2001).]

· Registered
819 Posts
I think you've got the best 45 around.
As for ammo, a previous post says to avoid Wolf Ammo, but I have shot lots of it and never had any problems. I've heard the same from other regular Wolf ammo users. I find Wolf ammo accurate too, for about 6-7 bucks a box is too hard to pass up. Buy a box and test it yourself. Sellier Bellot is also really good. One piece of advice is to order your ammo by the case - look through shotgun news to find the best deal. For personal defense you have many choices, my favoite is CorBon 230 gr +P, and also HydraShocks by Federal.

I use Wilson 7 round mags in addition to the Colt mag that came with my 91A-1. I've even used cheap 6 dollar mags and they worked fine too. Overall I say to get 2 Wilson mags and you'll be well off.

What do you need to know about the .45 over all? It will last forever.

· Registered
688 Posts
Smith, welcome to the 1911 Forum, and congratulations on your new 1991A1! I've got one, and it is a fine pistol.

I'd go with American Eagle (by Federal), Winchester White Box, UMC, or Sellier and Bellot. I would avoid American ammunition (head stamp says Amerc). If you think you may ever get into reloading, then save your brass!

Not much to say on magazines as mine likes them all. I did, however, have the base plate come loose (completely off!) on an el-cheapo magazine. Up until that happened, the mag worked just fine. A lot of people do seem to like the Wilsons, and sooner or later, I'm going to get some of them.

I'd study the manual which comes with the pistol so you will get to know how your new single action auto does its thing.

You may also want to pick up a copy of the 1911 Auto Maintenance Manual by Bill Wilson. It's a small book, but it has a lot of detailed info (with photographs) with respect to field stripping, cleaning, detailed stripping, trouble shooting etc. They're available from Midway (www.midwayusa.com) for about 10 bux.

Good shooting!

· Registered
2,524 Posts
Smith

Overall you have recieved good advice, and yes I will add my $.02 worth.

1. If you decide to use Fiocchi FMJ ammo be sure to use an extra power (18.5 lb) recoil spring. Fiocchi is loaded a little hotter than standard so an extra power spring is a good idea.

2. For the first 500 rounds lubricate your slide with good old fashioned gun oil, Hoppes #9 is a good example. Put a drop on the slide rails every 150-200 rounds and do not clean your pistol until you have fired 500 rounds. Sellier & Bellot is a good choice for this since it generates a lot of powder residue, which will mix with the oil to form a very mild buffing compound. This will smooth out any rough spots and help your pistol run its best later. Put a drop of oil on the front of the barrel inside the ejection port with the slide closed when you do the slide rails too.

3. Find a good instructor and get some training with your new pistol. Even if you are trained and experienced with other pistols, training is a good idea since the 1911's operation is a bit unique compare to a lot of others.

4. When you decide to try JHP ammo, buy one box of several different brands and grades. If your get any failures to feed reject that ammo. Get more of anything that will go the entire box without a failure and see if it will do it again. Use the HPJ ammo that will feed consistantly in your pistol. Remember that everything you read in the magazines that one ammo is better than another is just hype. Use what works in your pistol.

5. Avoid shooting a lot of +P ammo of any type. It will beat you up and it will beat up your pistol. By this I mean do not practice with it. If you choose to carry +P, shoot what you were carrying to be sure it would have worked for you. But practice with standard velocity.

I hope this helps.
Str8_Shot

· Registered
20 Posts
i have the parkerized version.picked up several different made magazines at a gun show to try out.tried the chip mcormick,some ol ww2 mags(which i got 5 for 20 bucks)and the colt factory mags.they all worked just fine.i did add a full length guide rod,replaced the plastic trigger and housing with colt steel parts and added a wilson combat comm. style hammer and a stainless steel wilson grip safty.am wanting to get the trigger adjusted to a crisp 3.5 lb pull.just personal preferance.i shoot whatever is on sale as far as plinkin goes and save the winchester silvertip hollowpoints for defense loads.has never malfunctioned with any ammo ive tried. congrats,youre gonna love that gun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.