1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to my favorite gunshop on saturday and saw a new 70 series GM stainless. Very nice! Fit and finish was excellent. Tighter (less rattling) than on my late 50's GM. Trigger was very nice--again better than my late 50's GM. They were asking $889. I don't think I'm going to be able to resist.
They only thing that seemed unusual was the pistol had the old style 70's grip, checkerd wood with the Colt medallion. All of the new 70 series photos I've seen have checkered double diamonds. Are any of the new 70 series coming out with the old-style checkered grips with medallion. The pistol looked absolutely pristine and unfired, but I tend to be a little on the suspicious side when laying out my money.

Nero

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
My new issue S70 came with double diamond rosewood. Ask if someone swapped the grip panels. It's a fair retail price.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice pistol fremont. That's exactly what the grips on the pistol I was looking at looked like.

Nero

·
Registered
450 Posts
For some reason I prefer smooth grip panels, I'm guessing that checkered panels don't show the wood grain as well, and some of the best things about wood grips is having beautiful grain, now a smooth panel rosewood grips w/ colt medallion would be my absolute favorite:cool: It might get a little slippery but hey style is important too...

·
Administrator
72,504 Posts
When I bought my first blued Series 70, it had grip panels made of a plain DD-checkered walnut. Although the dealer swore on his life he never swapped them out, I know for a fact somebody did. Most likely somebody in the back room liked the panels that came on it and swapped them before it went out on the floor.

·
Administrator
72,504 Posts
There's no such thing as a Series 70 NRM. Only the new 1991 Series 80 guns are new rollmark (NRM). New-production Series 70's go from $750-$850 in most areas.

·
Registered
55 Posts
How do the new Series 70s compare to the originals? Do they have the collet bushing or the standard solid one? Still have the spur hammer or commander style? I found an original Series 70 last year, but have been unable to find another to go with it, so was considering a new Series 70. But I really want the gold medallion grips.

·
Administrator
72,504 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts