1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an 8-cavity 9mm 115-gr mold from Slovenia (Miha Prevec of MP Molds) - from order to delivery it was only 3 days from Slovenia. Dang, that was FAST - I can't get things from Midway or Brownells that quickly (not that anyone has stock anyway)!

It has a steel screw inserted into the side of a block so the leverage of the steel sprue-cutter lever doesn't mar the aluminum - a popular mod for Lee molds which are notorious for getting gouged there:

8 cavities - I cast almost 200 bullets in a half-hour:

Silver Vein powdercoat:

Cost me about $100 including DHL shipping - a real bargain! All I had to add was a set of handles for the mold-blocks (which I already had on-hand).

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
The vent lines look like a pattern that Lee used on his molds for a while. It worked well. Did it come up to temp quickly?

Reactions: AndyC

·
Super Moderator
14,598 Posts
Miha makes some of the best molds on the planet - congrats.

·
Premium Member
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2nd mold from Miha - he makes superb stuff. The other is his brass .45acp 200-gr SWC H&G #68 clone.

Temperature - well, I cheat and use a hot-plate to pre-heat ;) Upside down on the steel sprue-cutter.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Heck Andy I think you did great! $100 for a quality gang mold, in todays market? Great job and 200 in a half hour. That is putting out some bullets.

·
Premium Member
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
All credit to Miha - this thing shucks bullets slicker'n snot; I'm just the driver, but yep I'm pleased (especially these days) that I found a great deal for a great mold which arrived super-fast.

·
Super Moderator
7,686 Posts
That is sweet. I love quality stuff.

·
Super Moderator
14,598 Posts
2nd mold from Miha - he makes superb stuff. The other is his brass .45acp 200-gr SWC H&G #68 clone.

Temperature - well, I cheat and use a hot-plate to pre-heat ;) Upside down on the steel sprue-cutter.
I have several of his molds, and I also pre-heat. I have the Cramer HP system with all pins for the .44 molds and the .45 molds so I can do pentagon HP, small HP, large HP, and solid FN. My favorite for the .45's are to 200 gr. RNHP using small HP, they run 200 with the flat nose pins, and 194 with the small HP pins.:)

·
Premium Member
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love the flexibility offered by the pin system - one day I'll get a mold or three like that :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Those look nice. Will you have to resize and lube them or what would need to be done before loading them?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Looks like a great mold, and I'd bet those bullets will chamber nicely in even the pickiest barrels.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
I have the 8 cavity RNFP 125 gr. I can do 1000 bullets in less than 4 hours. Some of that time is waiting for the additional alloy to melt in the pot. That bullet has become my go to 9mm bullet. It's shot very well in everything it's been shot in. It feeds like butter.

I use Hi-Tek to coat the bullets. I try and keep 40-50 lbs of them on hand at all times. But I'm getting low. I need to make a trip to the scrap yard for more lead.

·
Premium Member
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those look nice. Will you have to resize and lube them or what would need to be done before loading them?
The powdercoating is the lube (magic stuff - so much cleaner and almost smokeless compared to traditional wax lubes) - and yes, I do have to run them through a sizing die to get the size I want. These fall out (with my alloy) at .359" - so they were sized down to .356" for a 9mm (or sized to .358" for use in a 38/357, should I want). Sizing took around 10-15 minutes to run almost 200 bullets through my Star sizer.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Yes they make great molds, I have a few of their brass ones and for almost half of what I was paying for my Saeco's.
And DHL had them here in like 4 days.
Just curious, if you were going to powder coat why did you get one with lube groove?

·
Registered
9,031 Posts
That looks really nice-but I'd expect all of that from Miha and not worry about being disappointed...
I've waited on some Group Buys through CastBoolits...sometimes quite a while but they're getting all the orders together and the design finalized and there aren't even the cutters yet-but I love the MP brass molds. I doubt that there are any that are better from any source and that #68 clone, well, it was so pretty I hesitated to mess it up with lead but I've never used a better mold!

·
Premium Member
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My #68 is a treasure too, so much so that I've stashed my original H&G mold away :)

Just curious, if you were going to powder coat why did you get one with lube groove?
Mostly because that mold was available - but additionally the groove makes no difference in performance and still gives me the option to lube if I ever decide I want to (as unlikely as that is).

·
Registered
333 Posts
I got the MiHa 150 gr. smooth cavity 9mm bullet in an 8 cavity a while back. Great mould and it really cranks out the bullets.

8 cavity mould.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts