1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Through swapping parts, I ended up with a Kimber Pro Carry SLE frame. I'm thinking of adding a 9mm Commander size top end and am wondering what my options are. Here's my questions:

1. Will the .38 super slide work for the 9mm? These seem to be more available than the 9mm top ends.

2. I don't want to mess with the frame if I don't have to, and I won't be using +p ammo. Do I need a ramped barrel? What is the downside of using a non-ramped barrel in a 9mm?

3. Will the 9mm feed reliably without recontouring the feed ramp? I'd like to have the option to reconvert the gun back to a .45 ACP if I decide later on that 9mm won't cut it.

4. What other problems could I run into?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Howard, The 38 Super slide will work just fine for the 9MM, then all you need is a barrel. You should also be OK with the ejector, as most of the Commander/Officers guns have the wider ejector, which is what the 9/38 uses. You will need a 14# recoil spring, and some mags, and someone to make sure the gun will run reliably for you. I wouldn't worry about the feed ramp, it should be OK, and if your smith knows how to set the gun up properly, you should be fine without a ramped barrel.
Good Luck,

------------------
Don Williams www.theactionworks.com www.pickagripcom

·
Registered
402 Posts
HowardK, my shooting partner has a Carter Custom Commander. It has two top ends. One complete slide and barrel assembly for .45 ACP and a complete assembly for 9mm. Same frame for both, same ejector for both. Both barrels are ramped bull barrels that mate to their respective slides with out bushings. Man, the 9mm is sweet. Even the strongest load is a pussycat with the bull barrel. Both top ends have Novac bar dot night sights that shoot to point of aim. My shooting partner can hit a coke can at 50 yards with this gun!
Shoot Safe.....CO

------------------
"I won't be wronged, I
won't be Insulted, and I
won't be laid a had on. I
don't do these things to
other people and I
require the same from
them." From the movie
"The Shootist."

·
Registered
402 Posts
HowardK, I thought you might be interested. Carter Custom Weaponry is in Harrison Arkansas. His phone number is 870-741-2265. Ross Carter was recomended to me by Wilson Combat, also in Arkansas. Carter Custom Weaponry, 302 West Central, Harrison AR. 72601. You might try e-mail. [email protected] It's pretty much a one man shop. Ross has a helper but he does the lion's share of the work. Be prepaired for a little wait, but the results will be well worth it. Shoot Safe.....CO

------------------
"I won't be wronged, I
won't be Insulted, and I
won't be laid a had on. I
don't do these things to
other people and I
require the same from
them." From the movie
"The Shootist."

·
Registered
157 Posts
Since the frame ramp on the 38S/9mm and .45 is different, you may have problems with the barrel and frame ramps not working out.

The 9mm barrel may overhang the .45 feed ramp, in which case you won't get anything to feed at all.

Borrow a 9mm/38S barrel and see if the ramps will give you a problem before you go buying parts you may not be able to use.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found a 9mm 1911 and compared the feed ramp with the .45--it is definitely different (the 9mm is steeper) and so the feeding could be iffy. Also talked with Caspian and they strongly recommend putting in a ramped barrel, which would mean cutting into the frame. Seems to defeat the purpose of having a convertible gun. I gave up the project and coincidentially found a Colt ser. 70 in 9mm. The cost was roughly the same as the mods on the Kimber.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Where do you people find these things???

I found a series 70 commander a couple of years ago and it looked like a rusty, rattly, doorstop. Asking $600. Ick.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's pure luck. I found the Colt at a small gun show in Houston. Came back at the end of the day and it was still there. At that point I figured it was mine since it was waitinf for me. It turned out to be an awesome shooter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts